LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 3, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Jan. 4 --- NEW MEXICO, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
Sat., Jan. 7 --- UNLV, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
• Utah State men’s basketball (6-7, 0-2) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West home games as it hosts New Mexico (9-5, 2-0) on Wednesday, Jan. 4, at 9 p.m., and then hosts UNLV (8-7, 1-1) on Saturday, Jan. 7, at 4 p.m. USU’s game against UNM will be televised live on ESPNU (Comcast Ch. 400/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 141, DirecTV Ch. 208), while its home game against UNLV will be televised live on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 21-8 all-time against New Mexico, including a 5-2 home record, and 4-31 all-time against UNLV, including a 3-12 record at home.
L, 80-83 --- BOISE STATE
L, 73-78 --- at Air Force
• Utah State went 0-2 last week in Mountain West play with an 83-80 home defeat to Boise State, followed by a 78-73 loss at Air Force. Against the Broncos, senior wing Jalen Moore scored a career-high 24 points as USU shot 39.3 percent (24-of-61) from the floor, 33.3 percent (6-of-18) from behind the 3-point line and 96.3 percent (26-of-27) from the free throw line. BSU shot 41.0 percent (25-of-61) from the floor, 39.1 percent (9-of-23) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (24-of-36) at the free throw line. At Air Force, freshman guard Koby McEwen scored a career-high 22 points as Utah State shot 46.3 percent (25-of-54) from the floor, 39.4 percent (13-of-33) from behind the 3-point line and 90.9 percent (10-of-11) at the free throw line. The Falcons shot 49.2 percent (30-of-61) from the floor, 47.6 percent (10-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (8-of-12) at the free throw line.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 6 --- at Arizona Tri-Meet, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (0-0) begins its 2017 season under fourth-year head coach Nadalie Walsh on Friday, Jan. 6, at the Arizona tri-meet against the host Wildcats (0-0) and Texas Woman’s (0-0) at 7 p.m. at the McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz. The Aggies return eight letterwinners from last year’s team that advanced to the NCAA Regional Championships for the third consecutive season. USU also welcomes eight newcomers – all freshmen – to the squad. Among the eight returning letterwinners are a pair of all-conference honorees. Senior Bailey McIntire earned first-team all-Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference honors in 2016 after tying for first in the all-around (career-high 39.425), tying for second on beam (career-high 9.850) and placing third on bars (career-high-tying 9.900) at the league championships. She also garnered second-team all-MRGC honors on vault after tying for sixth (9.825). Fellow senior Hayley Sanzotti also garnered second-team all-MRGC honors in 2016 by tying for fifth on beam with a 9.825. Utah State went 8-17 overall last season and placed fourth at the MRGC Championships with a 195.875. The Aggies then concluded their season by placing fifth at the NCAA regionals with a team score of 195.025.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Jan. 4 --- at New Mexico, 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 7 --- at UNLV, 5 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s basketball (8-5, 1-1) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West road games at New Mexico (6-6, 2-0) on Wednesday, Jan. 4, at 7 p.m., and at UNLV (9-5, 0-2) on Saturday, Jan. 7, at 5 p.m. (MT). Both games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network, while all USU home games are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 6-13 all-time against the Lobos and 3-18 all-time against the Lady Rebels.
L, 56-76 --- at Boise State
W, 65-62 --- AIR FORCE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 record last week as it opened Mountain West play with a 76-56 loss at Boise State and a 65-62 home win against Air Force. Against the Broncos, freshman forward Shannon Dufficy led the Aggies with her second-straight double-double performance, tallying 13 points and 12 rebounds. She was joined in double figures by freshman guard Eliza West, who ended the night with a team-high 14 points. The Aggies out-rebounded Boise State, 39-38. Overall, USU shot 33.9 percent (19-of-56) from the field, including 37.5 percent (3-of-8) from the 3-point line, and was 75.0 percent (15-of-20) from the free throw line. BSU shot 46.2 percent (30-of-65) from the field, 33.3 percent (8-of-24) from behind the arc and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line. Against the Falcons, Utah State was led by senior forward Antoina Robinson who matched her career-high with 13 points. Joining her in double digits were freshman guard Olivia West with 13 points and sophomore guard Rachel Brewster with 10. Defensively, Dufficy led the Aggies with seven rebounds. In all, the teams were even at 33 boards apiece. Overall, USU shot 40.7 percent (24-of-59) from the field, including 57.1 percent (4-of-7) from the 3-point line, and was 76.5 percent (13-of-17) from the free throw line. AFA shot 43.4 percent (23-of-53) from the field, 33.3 percent (5-of-15) from behind the arc and 68.8 percent (11-of-16) from the free throw line.
Utah State Specialists...
Utah State football held its ninth spring practice Thursday morning on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/22/2018
MEET NOTES: Utah State...
Utah State (8-9, 2-4 MRGC) hits the road this weekend as the Aggies head south to Cedar City,...03/22/2018
Utah State Football Will...
With just over two weeks left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage...03/22/2018
Aggie Softball Splits...
Playing a pair of local opponents, Utah State softball split its bill against Idaho State and...03/21/2018
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear