LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 4, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam (435) 797-2066
Tues., Jan. 5 --- BOISE STATE, 8 p.m. (CBSSN)
Sat., Jan. 9 --- at New Mexico, 4 p.m. (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (9-4, 1-1) continues Mountain West play this week with a home game against Boise State (10-4, 1-0) on Tuesday, Jan. 5 at 8 p.m., and a road game at New Mexico (9-6, 2-0) on Saturday, Jan. 9 at 4 p.m. USU’s game against BSU will be televised live on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221), while its game at UNM will be streamed live on ESPN3. USU is 30-10 all-time against the Broncos, including an 18-1 home record, and 20-7 all-time against the Lobos, including a 6-2 known road record.
W, 80-71 --- at San José State
L, 67-70 --- SAN DIEGO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with an 80-71 road win at San José State, followed by a 70-67 home loss to San Diego State. Against the Spartans, junior wing Jalen Moore scored a season-high 21 points, while redshirt senior forward Grayson Moore scored a season-high 12 points. Senior guard Darius Perkins and sophomore guard Julion Pearre each added 11 points. USU finished the game shooting 47.3 percent (26-of-55), including 55.0 percent (11-of-20) from 3-point range and 68.0 percent (17-of-25) at the free throw line. SJSU shot 42.1 percent (24-of-57), including 39.1 percent (9-of-23) from 3-point range and 60.9 percent (14-of-23) at the charity stripe. Against the Aztecs, redshirt junior forward Lew Evans recorded his second double-double of the season with a career-high 22 points to go along with 11 rebounds, while Jalen Moore scored 13 points, senior guard Chris Smith had 12 points and eight rebounds, and junior guard Shane Rector had 11 points and three steals. USU finished the game shooting 40.4 percent (19-of-47), including 25.0 percent from 3-point range (5-of-20) and a season-high 82.8 percent (24-of-29) at the free throw line. SDSU shot 43.5 percent (27-of-62), including 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from 3-point range and 50.0 percent (10-of-20) at the free throw line.
Contact: Wade Denniston ( 435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 8 --- CENTENARY, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (0-0) begins its 2016 season under third-year head coach Nadalie Walsh on Friday, Jan. 8, at home in a dual meet against Centenary College (0-0) at 7 p.m. The Aggies return 11 letterwinners from last year’s team that advanced to the NCAA Regional Championships for the second consecutive season. USU also welcomes back three gymnasts who were injured in 2015, to go along with four freshmen and a transfer from North Carolina. The Aggies are looking to advance to regionals for a third straight season, a feat that hasn’t been done since the program appeared in 17 straight regionals from 1986-2002. Among the 11 returning letterwinners are a pair of all-conference honorees in seniors McKinzey Martinez (all-around) and Miranda Kerr (vault). Last season, Utah State went 11-15 overall and placed fourth at the Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Championships with a team score of 195.125. The Aggies then concluded the 2015 season by placing fifth at regionals with a team score of 195.150. For the season, the Aggies averaged the highest vault score in program history with 48.938, bettering the mark of 48.904 set in 2014.
Contact: Megan Allen (435) 797-5547
Wed., Jan. 6 --- at Boise State, 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 9 --- NEW MEXICO, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (6-7, 1-1) continues Mountain West action this week with a road game at Boise State (7-5, 0-1) on Wednesday, Jan. 6 at 7 p.m., followed by a home game against New Mexico (8-5, 1-1) on Saturday, Jan. 9 at 2 p.m. All-time, the Aggies are 8-20 against the Broncos and 5-12 against the Lobos. All conference games will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders.
L, 74-86 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE
W, 55-36 --- at San Diego State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week, opening the conference season in an 86-74 home loss to San José State and a 55-36 road win at San Diego State. Against the Spartans, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu led Utah State with 22 points, while senior forward Julianne Anchling had a career-best 15 points and freshman guard Rachel Brewster scored 12 points, while senior forward Tijana Djukic led the team with eight rebounds. On the night, USU shot 32.5 percent (25-of-77) from the field, 26.7 percent (8-of-30) from the 3-point line and 80.0 percent (16-of-20) from the free throw line. SJSU shot 45.8 percent (27-of-59) from the field, 33.3 percent (8-of-24) from behind the arc and 77.4 percent (24-of-31) from the free throw line. Against the Aztecs, Nakkasoglu led the Aggies with 27 points, shooting 69.2 percent (9-of-13) from the floor, while Brewster led the team with a career-high 11 rebounds and Anchling added a career-high 10 boards. Overall, USU shot 45.7 percent (21-of-46) from the field, 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from the 3-point line and 70.0 percent (7-of-10) from the free throw line. SDSU shot 18.8 percent (12-of-64) from the field, 16.0 percent (4-of-25) from behind the arc and 47.1 percent (8-of-17) from the free throw line, all of which are season-lows for an Aggie opponent this year.
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
USU Volleyball Opening...09/19/2017
Utah State Women’s...
Utah State women’s tennis will begin its fall tournament schedule Thursday, as two Aggies...09/20/2017
Match Notes: Aggie Soccer...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) opens Mountain West competition this weekend with a pair of...09/20/2017
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear