LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 11, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Jan. 12 --- AIR FORCE, 7 p.m. (ROOT)
Sat., Jan. 16 --- at Colorado State, 2 p.m. (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (9-6, 1-3) continues Mountain West play this week with a home game against Air Force (10-6, 1-2) on Tuesday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m., and a road game at Colorado State (10-6, 2-1) on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. USU’s game against AFA will be televised live on Root Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683), while its game at CSU will be streamed live on ESPN3. USU is 12-3 all-time against the Falcons, including a 7-0 home record, and 55-36 all-time against the Rams, including a 6-17 known road record.
L, 61-76 --- BOISE STATE
L, 59-77 --- at New Mexico
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West record last week with a 76-61 home loss to Boise State and a 77-59 road loss at New Mexico. Against the Broncos, junior wing Jalen Moore scored a game-high 18 points, while redshirt senior forward Grayson Moore had eight points and a career-high seven rebounds. USU finished the game shooting 43.9 percent (25-of-57), including 27.3 percent (6-of-22) from 3-point range and a season-low 38.5 percent (5-of-13) at the free throw line. BSU shot 59.6 percent (28-of-47), including 41.2 percent (7-of-17) from 3-point range and 76.5 percent (13-of-17) at the charity stripe. Against the Lobos, Moore scored 17 points and senior guard Chris Smith had 14 points. USU finished the game shooting 34.3 percent (23-of-67), including 20.7 percent (6-of-29) from 3-point range and 53.8 percent (7-of-13) at the free throw line. UNM shot 50.0 percent (29-of-58), including 31.3 percent (5-of-16) from behind the arc and 73.7 percent (14-of-19) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 16 --- GONZAGA, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (0-0, 0-0) will begin its 2016 spring season at home on Saturday, Jan. 16 against Gonzaga at 11 a.m., at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club. The Aggies competed in six open tournaments this fall, led by freshman Jenna Kane who had a 10-7 record. Juniors Nini Guensler and Ekaterina Tugarinova, sophomores Sabrina Demerath and Maggie O’Meara, and freshman Monika Van de Vondel all posted six wins during the fall. Guesnler, Van de Vondel and junior Lexi Turley all picked up singles titles at the Utah State-hosted Aggie Invite. Overall, USU returns five letterwinners from last year’s team that recorded a school-record 14 wins, including all-Mountain West honoree Maggie O’Meara.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Jan. 13 --- at Air Force, 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 16 --- COLORADO STATE, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (7-8, 2-2) continues Mountain West action this week with a road game at Air Force (0-14, 0-3) on Wednesday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m., followed by a home game against Colorado State (13-1, 3-0) on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. All-time, the Aggies are 4-1 against the Falcons and 9-13 against the Rams. All conference games will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders.
L, 78-84 (OT)--- at Boise State
W, 72-56 --- NEW MEXICO
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with an 84-78 overtime loss at Boise State and a 72-56 home win against New Mexico. Against the Broncos, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu had 22 points and tied her career-high with nine assists, while senior forward Julianne Anchling scored a career-high 18 points. Senior forward Tijana Djukic recorded her second double-double of the season with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while freshman guard Katie Toole added 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 39.7 percent (29-of-73), including 33.3 percent (9-of-27) from 3-point range and 64.7 percent (11-of-17) at the free throw line. BSU shot 43.5 percent (27-of-62), including 40.0 percent (10-of-25) from behind the arc and 83.3 percent (20-of-24) at the charity stripe. Against the Lobos, Nakkasoglu had 17 points, freshman guard Rachel Brewster scored 12 points and Anchling added 10 points. Brewster and Djukic were tops in rebounding with six boards apiece. Overall, USU shot 55.8 percent (24-of-43), including 55.6 percent (5-of-9) from the 3-point line and 90.5 percent (19-of-21) from the free throw line. UNM shot 31.7 percent (19-of-60) including, 34.8 percent (8-of-23) from behind the arc and 71.4 percent (10-of-14) from the charity stripe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 16 --- at Grand View (Iowa), 10 a.m. (MT)
Sat., Jan. 16 --- at Drake, 3 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s tennis (0-0, 0-0) will begin its 2016 spring season with a dual match doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 16 against Grandview at 10 a.m. and against Drake at 3 p.m. Both matches will be held in Des Moines, Iowa. USU played in three open tournaments during the fall, led by sophomore Jaime Barajas who had a 9-2 record, including a run to the quarterfinals of the ITA Mountain Region Tournament, the deepest run made by an Aggie in program history. Freshman Jonas Maier posted a 9-4 tournament record during the fall, while juniors Jack Swindells and Daniel Echeverry and freshman Luis Lopez all posted six tournament wins, including the singles title at the Bobcat Invitational for Lopez. Overall, the Aggies return three letterwinners from last year’s squad that had a school-record 18 wins, including Barajas who recorded a school-record 25 wins last season.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 15 --- KENT STATE, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (1-0) continues its 2016 season this weekend with a home meet against Kent State (1-0) on Friday, Jan. 15 at 7 p.m. All home meets during the season will be streamed live via USU’s website at www.UtahStateAggies.com.
W, 194.375-184.225 --- CENTENARY
• Senior McKinzey Martinez won the all-around with a score of 39.150 in Utah State’s 194.375-184.225 season-opening home victory against Centenary College last weekend. Martinez won three event titles, becoming the first Aggie gymnast to accomplish that feat since Jessica Parenti-Otte in 2007. Martinez won the vault with a score of 9.750, the bars with a score of 9.850 and the floor with a score of 9.775, and tied for third on the beam with a 9.775. Sophomore Melanie Oster claimed the fourth individual title as she won the beam with a 9.825.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri.-Sat., Jan. 15-16 --- at Boise State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will begin its 2016 season at the Boise State-hosted Ed Jacoby Invitational on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 15-16, in Nampa, Idaho. Last season, the Aggie men placed fourth in the team standings with 111 points at the Mountain West Indoor Championships, while the women placed sixth with 45 points. Overall, the men captured nine first-team all-MW honors during the three-day championships, while the women garnered eight first-team all-conference accolades. Senior sprinter Cole Lambourne highlights a strong group of returners for the Aggie men as he captured a pair of first-place finishes (400m, 4x400m) at the Indoor Championships. His younger brother, sophomore Clay Lambourne, also won two events (800m, 4x400m) at the championships. Senior Parker Bluth finished first in the 4x400m, second in the 200m and fourth in the 60m at the Indoor Championships. On the women’s side, junior Tori Parkinson and sophomore Kelsey Yamauchi were both tabbed first-team all-MW after placing third in the distance medley relay at the Indoor Championships.
USU Soccer Opens Conference...
Utah State soccer battled through 105 minutes of action Friday, as it fell to San José State...09/22/2017
Aggie Softball Hosting USU ...
Utah State softball is set to open its fall scrimmage season this weekend, as it hosts USU...09/22/2017
Utah State Continues...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball will continue its Mountain West-opening homestand, hosting...09/22/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis started its fall tournament schedule with a doubles victory on Thursday...09/21/2017
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear