LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 18, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Jan. 19 --- UNLV, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
Sat., Jan. 23 --- at San Diego State, 4 p.m. (MT) (CBSSN)
• Utah State men’s basketball (11-6, 3-3) continues Mountain West play this week with a home game against UNLV (11-7, 2-3) on Tuesday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m., and a road game at San Diego State (12-6, 5-0) on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 4 p.m. (MT). USU’s game against UNLV will be streamed live on ESPN3, while its game at SDSU will be televised live on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 4-30 all-time against the Rebels, including a 3-12 home record, and 4-4 all-time against the Aztecs, including a 1-2 road record.
W, 79-60 --- AIR FORCE
W, 96-92 --- at Colorado State
• Utah State posted a 2-0 Mountain West record last week with a 79-60 home win against Air Force and a 96-92 road win at Colorado State. Against the Falcons, junior wing Jalen Moore had 20 points to go along with six rebounds and six assists, while senior guard Chris Smith had 19 points. Junior guard Shane Rector added 13 points and sophomore guard Julion Pearre scored 12 points. USU finished the game shooting 46.4 percent (26-of-56), including 26.9 percent (7-of-26) from 3-point range and a season-high 83.3 percent (20-of-24) at the free throw line. AFA shot 36.8 percent (21-of-57), including 40.0 percent (8-of-20) from behind the arc and 58.8 percent (10-of-17) at the charity stripe. Against the Rams, Smith scored a career-high 35 points as he was 10-of-17 from the field, 4-of-7 from 3-point range and 10-for-11 at the free throw line. Smith also had a career-best 13 rebounds for his third double-double of the season and his career. Pearre added 19 points, while Moore scored 16 points to go along with 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season and the fifth of his career. Redshirt junior forward Lew Evans added 12 points and junior guard Shane Rector scored 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 50.0 percent (32-of-64), including 48.1 percent (13-of-27) from 3-point range and 76.0 percent (19-of-25) at the free throw line. CSU shot 45.7 percent (32-of-70), including 41.7 percent (15-of-36) from behind the arc and 72.2 percent (13-of-18) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 23 --- IDAHO STATE, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (0-1, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season at home on Saturday, Jan. 23 against Idaho State (0-0) at 11 a.m., at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
L, 2-5 --- GONZAGA
• Utah State posted an 0-1 home record last week with a loss to Gonzaga (5-2). Against the Bulldogs, USU lost the doubles point, but sophomore Sabrina Demerath and freshman Monika Van de Vondel won at the third position, 6-2. In singles, junior Ekaterina Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 2-6, 6-4) and sophomore Meghan Lyall won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 7-5). Also competing for USU was junior Nini Guensler and sophomore Maggie O’Meara.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Jan. 13 --- at UNLV, 8 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Jan. 16 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (8-9, 3-3) continues Mountain West action this week with a road game at UNLV (9-7, 2-3) on Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 8 p.m. (MT), followed by a home game against San Diego State (6-10, 1-4) on Saturday, Jan. 23 at 2 p.m. All-time, the Aggies are 3-16 against the Lady Rebels and 2-5 against the Aztecs. All conference games will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders.
W, 66-53 --- at Air Force
L, 49-69 --- COLORADO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 66-53 road win at Air Force and a 69-49 home loss to Colorado State. Against the Falcons, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu had a game-high 34 points, while freshman guard Rachel Brewster scored 10 points and sophomore center Hannah Hutchins finished the game with a career-best nine rebounds. USU finished the game shooting 44.8 percent (26-of-58), including 17.6 percent (3-of-17) from 3-point range and 64.7 percent (11-of-17) at the free throw line. AFA shot 33.9 percent (19-of-56), including 31.8 percent (7-of-22) from behind the arc and 50.0 percent (8-of-16) at the charity stripe. Against the Rams, Nakkasoglu led the Aggies with 19 points and Hutchins had 10, while Hutchins shared the top rebounding spot with senior forward Tijana Djukic, snagging six apiece. Overall, USU shot 34.7 percent (17-of-49), including 7.1 percent (1-of-14) from the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (14-of-21) from the free throw line. CSU shot 47.3 percent (26-of-55), including 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from behind the arc and 81.8 percent (9-of-11) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 22 --- at #23 Southern Utah, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (2-0, 0-0) hits the road for the first time this season when it travels to No. 23 Southern Utah (1-2, 0-0) for the Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference opener for both schools. The meet is slated to begin at 7 p.m. and will take place at Centrum Arena.
W, 194.100-193.500 --- #16 KENT STATE
• Utah State won its second consecutive dual meet to start the 2016 season as it defeated No. 16 Kent State at home, 194.100-193.500. Senior McKinzey Martinez won the all-around for the second straight week, this time with a score of 38.500. The native of Kimberly, Idaho, tallied scores of 9.775 on vault to place second, 9.750 on bars to tie for third, 9.175 on beam to place 11th, and a season-high 9.800 on floor to tie for second. Eight different Aggies earned a total of 13 top-five finishes to highlight the night. Three different gymnasts captured titles as senior Jillian Chappel won the vault with a season-high score of 9.800, while juniors Charly Belliston and Bailey McIntire shared the bars title as each recorded a 9.775.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Mon., Jan. 18 --- #71 Iowa, 11 a.m. (MT)
National Indoor Championships, Norman, Okla.
Sat., Jan. 23 --- at #2 Oklahoma, 2 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Jan. 24 --- vs. #63 Troy/#66 UTSA, TBD
• Utah State men’s tennis (1-1, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with three matches against ranked opponents. First, USU travels to Iowa City to face No. 71 Iowa (0-0) on Monday, Jan. 18, at 11 a.m. (MT). Then, USU will participate in the ITA Indoor Championship Kick-Off Weekend in Norman, Okla, against No. 2 Oklahoma (2-0) on Saturday, Jan. 23 at 2 p.m., before facing either No. 63 Troy (0-2) or No. 66 UTSA (0-1) on Sunday, Jan. 24 at a time TBA.
W, 7-0 --- at Grand View (Iowa)
L, 2-5 --- at #35 Drake
• Utah State posted a 1-1 road record last week with a 7-0 win against Grand View, followed by a 5-2 loss at No. 35 Drake. Against the Vikings, USU took the doubles point as sophomore Andrew Nakajima and freshman Luis Lopez won at the first position (7-6), junior Daniel Echeverry and sophomore Jaime Barajas won at the second position (6-0) and junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the third position (6-2). In singles, Maier won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-2), Swindells swept his opponent at the No. 2 spot (6-0, 6-1), freshman Samuel Serrano won at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 6-1), freshman Romai Ugarte defeated his opponent at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-1), Lopez shut out his opponent at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-0) and Nakajima won in straight sets at the No. 6 spot (6-1, 6-0). Against the Bulldogs, USU lost the doubles point. In singles, Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (3-6, 6-4, 6-1) and Serrano won in straight sets at the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-4).
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 22 --- at Montana State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will continue its 2016 season at the Montana State Invitational on Friday, Jan. 22.
NTS --- at Boise State Invitational
• Utah State’s men and women’s track & field teams surged into the 2016 indoor season by recording 31 top-five finishes at the Boise State-hosted Ed Jacoby Invitational last weekend. USU collected 11 event titles in all, including senior Parker Bluth in the 60m (6.78), sophomore Brady Martin in the 400m (47.98), junior Benjamin Johnston in the 800m (1:55.88), sophomore Dillon Maggard in the mile (4:12.47), freshman James Withers in the 3,000m (8:51.10), junior AJ Boully in the 60m hurdles (8.06), freshman Clive Fray in the high jump (2.06m/6-9), and sophomore David Hirschmann in the shot put (15.65m/51-4.25).Shannon Maloney ended up as the lone event winner for the Aggie women, as the freshman won the 800m with a time of 2:17.78. Rounding out the Aggie men’s event winners were the relay teams. Bluth, seniors Cole Lambourne and Tanner Hunt, along with sophomore Brady Martin won the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:13.31. As for the distance medley relay, Johnston, junior Brett McAdams, and sophomores Jordan Beutler and Clay Lambourne won the event with a time of 10:22.14. Additionally, Boully recorded a preliminary time of 8.01 in the 60m hurdles, which is good enough to be ranked third all-time in USU history. Despite winning just one event title, USU’s women showed great promise in the throwing events. Senior Maci Bingham placed second in the weight throw (17.70m/58-1), which ranks fourth all-time in USU history. The Aggie shot-putters seized the second, third and fourth spots in that event as sophomore Olivia Moriconi finished second with a mark of 14.29m (46-10.75), freshman Brenn Flint placed third (13.84m/45-5) and Bingham finished fourth (13.79m/45-3). Moriconi now ranks fifth and Flint 10th all-time in school history for the shot put. Senior Jodi Williams and junior Mariah Thompson also highlighted a strong effort for the Aggie women in the high jump as both recorded a mark of 1.74m (5-8.50), but Williams placed second and Thompson third as Williams achieved the height in less attempts.
Utah State Specialists...
Utah State football held its ninth spring practice Thursday morning on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/22/2018
MEET NOTES: Utah State...
Utah State (8-9, 2-4 MRGC) hits the road this weekend as the Aggies head south to Cedar City,...03/22/2018
Utah State Football Will...
With just over two weeks left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage...03/22/2018
Aggie Softball Splits...
Playing a pair of local opponents, Utah State softball split its bill against Idaho State and...03/21/2018
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear