LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 23, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Jan. 24 --- at New Mexico, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
Sat., Jan. 28 --- FRESNO STATE, 7 p.m. (MWN)
• Utah State men’s basketball (8-10, 2-5) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it plays at New Mexico (12-8, 5-3) on Tuesday, Jan. 24, at 9 p.m. and hosts Fresno State (13-7, 5-3) on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. USU’s game at UNM will be televised live on ESPNU (Comcast Ch. 400/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 141, DirecTV Ch. 208), while its game against FS will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network. USU is 22-8 all-time against the Lobos, including a 6-3 road record, and 32-24 all-time against the Bulldogs, including a 22-7 home record.
L, 56-64 --- COLORADO STATE
• Utah State lost its only game last week in Mountain West play with a 64-56 home defeat to Colorado State. Against the Rams, senior wing Jalen Moore led the Aggies with 14 points and was followed by freshman guard Koby McEwen with 13. Senior guard Shane Rector was just behind with nine points a career-high seven rebounds as USU shot 36.7 percent (22-of-60) from the floor, 15.8 percent (3-of-19) from behind the 3-point line and 52.9 percent (9-of-17) at the free throw line. CSU finished the game shooting 42.9 percent (24-of-56) from the floor 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from behind the 3-point line and 70.6 percent (12-of-17) at the free throw line.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sun., Jan. 29 --- at New Hampshire, 11 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State gymnastics (4-1, 1-0) continues its 2017 season this weekend with a dual meet at New Hampshire (6-1) on Sunday, Jan. 29, at 11 a.m. (MT).
W, 195.300-195.200 --- at BYU
• Sophomore Madison Ward captured two event titles as Utah State opened its Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference campaign with a 195.300-195.200 victory at in-state rival BYU last weekend. Ward won the floor competition for the third straight meet, this time with a career-best 9.900. With the win, USU picked up its 499th victory in program history. Senior Hayley Sanzotti closed the meet for USU, which led after each rotation, by recording a 9.800 on beam to win the event title. Freshman Elle Golison tied for third on vault with a career-high 9.775, tied for second on beam with a 9.775 and tied for second on floor with a personal-best 9.850. USU finished second on vault (48.725), first on bars (season-high 48.950), first on beam (48.825) and second on floor (48.800). The Aggies began the meet on bars, where two gymnasts recorded career highs, including Ward, who tied for first on the event with her 9.825. Moving to vault, Golison and senior Katie Brown each recorded a 9.775 to tie for third. For Golison, it was a personal best. USU competed on floor in the third rotation. Golison and Ward closed the event for the Aggies with their 9.850 and 9.900 scores, respectively. While Sanzotti won the beam title with the Aggies’ last routine of the night, senior Bailey McIntire and sophomore Emily Briones each tied for second with scores of 9.775.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Jan. 25 --- NEW MEXICO, 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 28 --- at Fresno State, 3 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s basketball (9-9, 2-5) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it hosts New Mexico (9-9, 5-3) on Wednesday, Jan. 25, at 7 p.m., and plays at Fresno State (11-8, 4-4) on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 3 p.m. (MT). Both games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network, while all USU home games are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 6-14 all-time against the Lobos and 2-20 all-time against the Bulldogs.
L, 43-74 --- at Colorado State
• Utah State posted an 0-1 Mountain West road record last week as it fell at Colorado State, 74-43. The Aggies were led by freshman guard Eliza West and sophomore guard Rachel Brewster who each tallied 12 points. West was also the leading rebounder for the Aggies with six, matching her career-high. In the game, USU shot 31.4 percent (16-of-51) from the field, including 26.1 percent (6-of-23) from the 3-point line, and was 71.4 percent (5-of-7) from the free throw line. CSU shot 56.6 percent (30-of-53) from the field, the best of any USU opponent this season. The Rams shot 41.7 percent (10-of-24) from behind the arc and 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 28 --- LEWIS-CLARK STATE, 9 a.m.
Sat., Jan. 28 --- SOUTHERN UTAH, 1 p.m.
Sun., Jan. 29 --- NORTH DAKOTA, 9 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis continues its 2017 spring season this weekend with three home matches as it hosts Lewis-Clark State (0-2) and Southern Utah (0-0) on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 9 am and 1 p.m., respectively, followed by a home match against North Dakota (0-0) on Sunday, Jan. 29, at 9 a.m. All three matches will be played at the Sports Academy & Racquet Club.
NTS --- at Long Beach State Invite
• Utah State women’s tennis competed at the Long Beach State Invite last weekend, and due to rain, was only able to play one day. In singles, freshmen Lucy Octave, Hannah Jones and Sophia Haleas all went 1-0, as did junior Maggie O’Meara. In doubles, Haleas and Jones went 2-1 as a duo, senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath went 1-2, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel and Octave went 1-2, and O’Meara and freshman Ellee Bullock went 2-1 as partners.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., Jan. 27-28 --- at Washington Invitational, All Day
Sat., Jan. 28 --- at New Mexico Team Challenge, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s indoor track & field teams continue their respective 2017 seasons this weekend at two meets as it will compete at the Washington Invitational on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 27-28, and at the New Mexico Team Challenge on Saturday, Jan. 28.
M: 2/4: W: 3/4--- at Montana State Invitational
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s track & field teams placed second and third, respectively, at the Montana State Dual Meet Invitational last weekend as the two teams combined for eight event wins. Utah State’s men were edged out by three points to Montana State, but won head-to-head matchups against Montana and Idaho State. The Aggie women lost duals to both Montana and Montana State, but defeated Idaho State by 15 points. Junior Josh Gordon and freshman Garen Earley led the sprinting corps as they placed first and second in the men’s 60m with times of 6.92 and 6.95, respectively. Gordon and his team of sophomore Nick Ashby, junior Clay Lambourne and senior AJ Boully won the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:18.57. Junior Dillon Maggard snagged another men’s victory in the 3,000m, recording a time of 8:21.54, which ranks eighth in school history. The Aggie jumpers did well on the men’s side, as sophomore Leaugen Fray and freshman Kyle Brost both captured event titles. Fray won the high jump with a mark of 2.05m (6-8.75), while Brost claimed victory in the triple jump with a leap of 14.50m (47-7). On the women’s side, sophomore Brenn Flint won the shot put with a toss of 14.59m (47-10.50). Flint has now won the shot put in two consecutive meets. Sophomore Kashley Carter won the mile in her first meet of the 2017 season with a time of 5:02.81, while senior Katelyn Zabriskie took home the crown in the high jump with a leap of 1.65m (5-5).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 28 --- vs. Wichita State, Fort Worth, Texas, 1 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Jan. 29 --- vs. #7 TCU or Pacific, Fort Worth, Texas 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s tennis (2-3, 0-0) continues its 2017 spring season this weekend as it travels to Fort Worth, Texas, to participate in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend for the second straight season. USU will begin the weekend with a match against Wichita State (0-2) on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 1 p.m. (MT) and will then face either No. 7 TCU (1-1) or Pacific (2-0) on Sunday, Jan. 29, at 1 p.m. (MT).
L, 1-6 --- at Washington
W, 7-0 --- vs. Gonzaga, Seattle, Wash.
L, 3-4 --- at Oregon
• Utah State men’s tennis posted an 1-2 record away from home last weekend with a 6-1 loss at Washington, a 7-0 win against Gonzaga in Seattle, Wash., and a 3-4 loss at Oregon. Against the Huskies, USU lost the doubles point before sophomore Samuel Serrano gave USU it’s only point with a win at the No. 5 singles spot (4-6, 6-3, 10-7). Against the Bulldogs, USU won the doubles point as junior Kai Wehnelt and Serrano won at the first position (6-4) and junior Jaime Barajas and freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Wehnelt swept past his opponent at the No. 1 spot (6-0, 6-4), senior Jack Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (6-0, 6-2), Barajas won in straight sets at the No. 3 spot (6-4, 6-1), Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (7-6 (1), 6-1), Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-1, 6-4), and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-2, 6-0). Against the Ducks, USU won the doubles point as Wehnelt and Serrano won at the first position (6-3) and Maier and Swindells won at the second position (7-5). In singles, Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (7-5, 7-6 (5)) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-1, 7-5).
Utah State Specialists...
Utah State football held its ninth spring practice Thursday morning on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/22/2018
MEET NOTES: Utah State...
Utah State (8-9, 2-4 MRGC) hits the road this weekend as the Aggies head south to Cedar City,...03/22/2018
Utah State Football Will...
With just over two weeks left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage...03/22/2018
Aggie Softball Splits...
Playing a pair of local opponents, Utah State softball split its bill against Idaho State and...03/21/2018
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear