LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 25, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Sat., Jan. 30 --- NEVADA, 7 p.m. (ROOT)
• Utah State men’s basketball (11-8, 3-5) continues Mountain West play this week with a home game against Nevada (12-7, 4-3) on Saturday, Jan. 30 at 7 p.m., in a game that will be televised regionally on ROOT Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683). USU is 35-15 all-time against the Wolf Pack, including an 18-3 home record.
L, 68-80 --- UNLV
L, 55-70 --- at San Diego State
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West record last week with an 80-68 home loss to UNLV and a 70-55 road loss at San Diego State. Against the Rebels, senior guard Chris Smith had 16 points, while redshirt junior forward Lew Evans and junior guard Shane Rector both scored 12 points. USU finished the game shooting 39.1 percent (25-of-64), including 31.6 percent (6-of-19) from 3-point range and 66.7 percent (12-of-18) at the free throw line. UNLV shot 53.4 percent (31-of-58), including 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from behind the arc and 66.7 percent (14-of-21) at the charity stripe. Against the Aztecs, Rector tied his career-high with 15 points and added a career-best six steals, while senior guard Darius Perkins scored 13 points and junior wing Jalen Moore finished with the 11 points. For the game, USU shot 36.7 percent (22-of-60), including 29.2 percent (7-of-24) from 3-point range and 57.1 percent (4-of-7) at the free throw line. SDSU shot 45.3 percent (24-of-53), including 31.3 percent (5-of-16) from behind the arc and 77.3 percent (17-of-22) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 30 --- SOUTHERN UTAH, 3 p.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (1-1, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season at home on Saturday, Jan. 30 against Southern Utah (0-0) at 3 p.m., at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
W, 6-1 --- IDAHO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-0 home record last week with a 6-1 win against Idaho State. In doubles, the team of sophomores Maggie O’Meara and Meghan Lyall won at the second position (6-3) and the tandem of sophomore Sabrina Demerath and freshman Monika Van de Vondel won at the third position (6-0). In singles, junior Nini Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 4-6, 6-2), Van de Vondel won at the No. 3 spot (7-6 (2), 6-4), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (7-5, 6-2), O’Meara won at the No. 5 spot (5-7, 6-4, 10-5) and freshman Jenna Kane won by retirement at the No. 6 spot.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Sat., Jan. 30 --- at Nevada, 5 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s basketball (9-10, 4-4) continues Mountain West action this week with a road game at Nevada (3-15, 2-5) on Saturday, Jan. 30 at 5 p.m. (MT). All-time, the Aggies are 11-11 against the Wolf Pack. All conference games will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders.
L, 38-46 --- at UNLV
W, 72-59 --- SAN DIEGO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 46-38 road loss at UNLV and a 72-59 home win against San Diego State. Against the Rebels, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu was the only player to score in double-figures as she had 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 26.1 percent (12-of-46), including 7.1 percent (1-of-14) from 3-point range and 81.3 percent (13-of-16) at the free throw line. UNLV shot 21.2 percent (14-of-66), including 26.9 percent (7-of-26) from behind the arc and 73.3 percent (11-of-15) at the charity stripe. Against the Aztecs, Nakkasoglu had a game-high 28 points, while freshman guard Rachel Brewster scored 14 points and sophomore center Hannah Hutchins had 12 points to go along with a career-high 11 rebounds for her first career double-double. Overall, USU shot 54.3 percent (25-of-46) from the field, 50.0 percent (7-of-14) from the 3-point line and 68.2 percent (15-of-22) from the free throw line. SDSU shot 39.2 percent (20-of-51) from the field, 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from behind the arc and 61.1 percent (11-of-18) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Jan. 29 --- #23 SOUTHERN UTAH, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (2-1, 0-1) continues its 2016 season this weekend as it hosts No. 23 Southern Utah (2-2, 1-0) on Friday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. The meet will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders.
L, 194.900-195.275 --- at #23 Southern Utah
• Despite recording a season-high team score, Utah State lost both its road and Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference opener in a 195.275-194.900 setback at No. 23 Southern Utah last weekend. Senior McKinzey Martinez won her fourth event title of the season as she recorded a career-high 9.950 on bars for the Aggies. Competing in the all-around for the first time this season, junior Bailey McIntire finished in first place with a 39.000. McIntire also tied for first on floor with a season-high 9.825. Freshman Emily Briones won her first career event title as she tied for first on beam with a career-best score of 9.875. Senior JoAnna Cuba tied her career high on bars with a 9.850 to tie for second, and sophomore Keri Peel matched her career best on beam with a 9.775 to tie for sixth. Freshman Madison Ward made her collegiate debut for the Aggies as the native of Rexburg, Idaho, tied for fifth on bars with a 9.775. She also competed on vault for Utah State and placed 11th with a 9.575. The Aggies recorded a 48.450 on vault, a season-high 49.100 on bars, followed by a season-best 49.000 on beam and a 48.350 on floor for the night.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sun., Jan. 31 --- GRAND CANYON, 9 a.m.
Sun., Jan. 31 --- IDAHO STATE, 1 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (2-3, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this weekend with a pair of home matches as it hosts Grand Canyon (3-2) and Idaho State (0-1) on Sunday, Jan. 31 at 9 a.m, and 1 p.m, respectively, at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
L, 0-7 --- at #71 Iowa
National Indoor Championships, Norman, Okla.
L, 0-7 --- at #2 Oklahoma
W, 4-0 --- vs. #66 UTSA
• Utah State posted a 1-2 road record last week with a 7-0 loss at No. 71 Iowa, followed by a 1-1 record at the National Indoor Championships in Norman, Okla., with a 7-0 loss against No. 2 Oklahoma and a 4-0 win against No. 66 UTSA. Against the Hawkeyes, USU lost the first two doubles matches and left the third unfinished before losing all six singles matches. Against the Sooners, USU lost two doubles matches and left the third unfinished before losing all six singles matches. Against the Roadrunners, USU won the doubles point as sophomore Jaime Barajas and freshman Samuel Serrano won at the second position (6-2) and junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the third position (6-2). In singles, Maier won at the No. 2 spot (7-6, 6-0), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-3) and freshman Luis Lopez won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 6-1). Also competing for the Aggies during the week was junior Daniel Echeverry, sophomore Andrew Nakajima and freshman Romai Ugarte.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Jan. 30 --- at New Mexico Team Challenge, All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will continue its 2016 season at the New Mexico Team Challenge on Saturday, Jan. 30.
NTS --- at Montana State Invitational
• Utah State’s men and women’s track & field teams added to their early success by recording 48 top-five finishes, including 13 event titles, at the Montana State Invitational last weekend. The invitational was a dual-scored meet, including four teams scoring points in a head-to-head format. Utah State’s men swept the competition, with Montana State coming closest at 63 points to the Aggies’ 83. On the women’s side, Montana State was able to sweep the head-to-head competition. The Aggies topped Idaho State (83-64), while being edged out by a mere two points to Montana (75-73). Parker Bluth, a senior, continued to shine by placing first in both the 60m (6.80) and the 400m (48.61). Other Aggie men event winners include sophomore Clay Lambourne in the 800m (1:53.07), Johnston, a junior, in the mile (4:20.93) and sophomore Dillon Maggard, a sophomore, in the 3,000m (8.33.86). Junior AJ Boully matched his place and time last week by winning the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.01. Additionally, senior Kevin Allen won the weight throw with a toss of 16.46m (54-00.00). Furtermore, the Aggie men’s 4x400m relay team featuring Boully, senior Tanner Hunt, sophomore Brady Martin and senior Cole Lambourne claimed the victory with a time of 3:17.47. After having just one event winner in last week’s competition, Utah State’s women captured five individual event titles this time around. That effort was led by senior Maci Bingham, who placed first in both the shot put (14.59m/47-10.50) and weight throw (56-10.00). Bingham now joins her teammates, freshman Brenn Flint and sophomore Olivia Moriconi, on the Utah State top-10 list for the shot put. Other Aggie women to capture event titles were senior Kaitlyn Wilcox in the 400m (57.76), Parkinson, a junior, in the mile (5:08.12), and senior Jodi Williams in the high jump (1.70m 5-7.00). Freshman Leaugen Fray won the high jump for the second-straight week with a mark of 2.10m (6-10.75), which ranks 10th all-time in USU history. Fray also placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 14.50 (47-7.00).
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
USU Volleyball Opening...09/19/2017
Utah State Women’s...
Utah State women’s tennis will begin its fall tournament schedule Thursday, as two Aggies...09/20/2017
Match Notes: Aggie Soccer...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) opens Mountain West competition this weekend with a pair of...09/20/2017
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear