LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - JANUARY 30, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Feb. 1 --- NEVADA, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
Sat., Feb. 4 --- at Boise State, 6 p.m. (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (9-11, 3-6) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it hosts Nevada (18-4, 7-2) on Wednesday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m. and plays at Boise State (13-7, 6-3) on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 6 p.m. Both games will be streamed live on ESPN3. USU is 35-17 all-time against the Wolf Pack, including an 18-4 home record, and 30-13 all-time against the Broncos, including a 9-9 road record.
L, 61-74 --- at New Mexico
W, 78-65 --- FRESNO STATE
• Utah State split its Mountain West games last week with a 74-61 loss at New Mexico and a 78-65 home win against Fresno State. Against the Lobos, freshman guard Koby McEwen led USU with 17 points and seven rebounds as the Aggies shot 45.1 percent (23-of-51) from the floor, 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from behind the 3-point line and 52.9 percent (9-of-17) at the free throw line. UNM finished the game shooting 50.0 percent (27-of-54) from the floor, 25.0 percent (3-of-12) from behind the 3-point line and 100.0 percent (17-of-17) at the free throw line. Against the Bulldogs, McEwen led the Aggies with 22 points and eight rebounds as USU shot 56.4 percent (22-of-39) from the floor, 45.5 percent (5-of-11) from behind the 3-point line and 74.4 percent (29-of-39) at the free throw line. FS shot 35.0 percent (21-of-60) from the floor, 11.1 percent (2-of-18) from behind the 3-point line and 61.8 percent (21-of-34) at the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Feb. 11 --- at Arizona, 2 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Feb. 12 --- vs. Marquette, Tucson, Ariz., 10 a.m. (MT)
Sun., Feb. 12 --- vs. Grand Canyon, Tucson, Ariz., 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s tennis (4-3, 0-0) continues its 2017 spring season next week as it travels to Tucson, Ariz., for three matches. USU will begin the weekend by playing at Arizona (1-1) on Saturday, Feb. 11, at 2 p.m. (MT), followed by matches against Marquette (2-1) and Grand Canyon (2-2) on Sunday, Feb. 12, starting at 10 a.m. (MT).
W, 4-1 --- vs. Wichita State, Fort Worth, Texas
W, 4-3 --- at #12 TCU
• Utah State men’s tennis posted a 2-0 record away from home last weekend as it defeated Wichita State, 4-1, and upset No. 12 TCU, 4-3, to win the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Regional and advance to next month’s ITA National Indoor Championship. Against the Shockers, USU lost the doubles point, but junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the No. 1 spot (6-1). In singles, junior Jack Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 6-3), junior Jaime Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 2-6, 6-2), freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (7-6 (2), 6-2), and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-1, 6-0). Against the Horned Frogs, the Aggies lost the doubles point. In singles, Jack Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (7-5, retired), Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 4-6, 7-5), Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-7, 6-4, 6-0) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-1).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Feb. 1 --- at Nevada, 7:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 4 --- BOISE STATE, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (10-10, 3-6) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it plays at Nevada (8-12, 2-7) on Wednesday, Feb. 1, at 7:30 p.m. (MT), and hosts Boise State (15-5, 5-4) on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 2 p.m. Both games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network, while all USU home games are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 14-11 all-time against UN and 8-23 all-time against BSU.
L, 58-68 --- NEW MEXICO
W, 52-47 --- at Fresno State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 68-58 home loss to New Mexico and a 52-47 road win at Fresno State. Against the Lobos, sophomore guard Rachel Brewster tied her career-high with 22 points, while sophomore guard Lizzy Klinker added a career-best nine points. Overall, USU shot 36.1 percent (22-of-61) from the field, including 41.7 percent (5-of-12) from the 3-point line, and was 75.0 percent (9-of-12) from the free throw line. New Mexico shot 45.3 percent (24-of-53) from the field, 37.9 percent (11-of-29) from behind the arc and 52.9 percent (9-of-17) from the free throw line. The Aggies then picked up their first-ever win at Fresno State, snapping a 16-game winning streak by the Bulldogs. Brewster was again the top scorer for the Aggies, ending the day with 19 points. Just behind her, freshman forward Shannon Dufficy added 17 points, along with a team-best six rebounds. USU shot 37.0 percent (20-of-54) from the field, including 43.8 percent (7-of-16) from the 3-point line, and was 83.3 percent (5-of-6) from the free throw line. Fresno State shot 40.9 percent (18-of-44) from the field, 23.1 percent (3-of-13) from behind the arc and 72.7 percent (8-of-11) from the free throw line.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Feb. 3 --- BYU, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (4-2, 1-0) continues its 2017 season this weekend with its first Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference home meet of the year as it hosts BYU (2-4, 0-2) on Friday, Jan. 20, at 7 p.m. All USU home meets are available to watch live at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos.
L, 194.075-195.175 --- at New Hampshire
• Sophomore Madison Ward recorded her second straight 9.900 on floor to tie for first on the event last weekend in Utah State’s 195.175-194.075 loss at New Hampshire. Ward also placed second on vault with a career-high 9.800 and took fifth on bars with a 9.750. Senior Katie Brown captured the first event title of her career for the Aggies, placing first on vault with a career-high-tying 9.825. Freshman Brittany Jeppesen recorded a personal-best 9.825 on bars to place second. And freshman Jazmyn Estrella recorded career-high scores of 9.775 to tie for third on vault and 9.800 on bars to place third. USU finished first on vault (season-high 48.950), first on bars (48.775), second on beam (48.200) and second on floor (48.150).
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., Feb. 3-4 --- at Boise State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s indoor track & field teams continue their respective 2017 seasons this weekend at the Boise State-hosted Jacksons/New Balance Invitational on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 3-4.
NTS --- at Washington State Invitational
• Utah State’s distance runners shined against elite competition last weekend as the Aggies broke a pair of school records at the Washington Invitational as junior Dillon Maggard and sophomore Cierra Simmons set school records in the mile and 3,000m, respectively. Maggard finished fourth and recorded a time of 4:01.68 in the mile, surpassing the previous record of 4:02.17 set in 1998 by Shane Bingham. Simmons placed 30th and clocked a time of 9:38.11 in the 3,000m, besting the previous time of 9:41.22 set by Alex Litzsinger in 2013. Junior Clay Lambourne placed second in the men’s 800m with a time of 1:50.37, while freshman Brody Smith placed 29th in the men’s 3,000m with a time of 8:20.08, which ranks seventh all-time in USU history. On the women’s side, sophomore Kashley Carter placed 31st and finished just behind Simmons in the 3,000m with a time of 9:38.21, moving Carter to second all-time in the 3,000m in school history. Additionally, junior Kelsey Yamauchi-Richins placed 41st in the 3,000m with a time of 9:45.65, which ranks sixth all-time in USU history. Freshman Elli Eastmond finished 18th in the 800m with a time of 2:12.57, which ranks sixth in USU history. In other women’s competition, junior Tylee Newman-Skinner finished 20th in the mile with a time of 4:53.02.
M: 2/6; W: 5/7 --- at New Mexico Team Challenge
• Utah State’s track and field teams left the Land of Enchantment with five individual event titles as the men placed second and the women fifth at the New Mexico Team Invitational last weekend. The Aggie men were led by senior AJ Boully as he won and recorded a personal-best time of 46.83 in the 400m, which ranks fifth all-time in school history. Boully also competed in the 4x400m relay, along with juniors Josh Gordon and Brady Martin, and freshman Michael Bluth. The Aggie quartet recorded a time of 3:09.59, which ranks fifth in school history. Another highlight on the men’s side was the performance by sophomore Leaugen Fray-Benoit. The native of Ontario, Canada, captured the high jump title with a height of 2.05m (6-8.75). Additionally, the sophomore placed fourth in the long jump with a distance of 6.87m (22-6.50). Sophomore James Withers won the men’s 3,000m with a time of 8:38.32, while junior David Hirschmann fortified the throwers with a toss of 17.13m (56-2.50), earning him a second-place finish in the shot put. On the women’s side, sophomore Brenn Flint claimed the victory in the shot put for the third-straight week with a personal-best toss of 14.69m (48-2.50). And sophomore Tavia Dutson placed second and recorded a time 10:20.97 in the 3,000m.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed., Feb. 1 --- MISSOURI, 11 a.m.
Fri., Feb. 3 --- IDAHO STATE, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis continues its 2017 spring season this week with a pair of home matches as it hosts Missouri (0-0) on Wednesday, Feb. 1 and Idaho State (2-0) on Friday, Feb. 3. Both matches will be played at the Sports Academy & Racquet Club and start at 11 a.m. All USU home matches are available to watch live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
W, 7-0 --- LEWIS-CLARK STATE
W, 4-3 --- SOUTHERN UTAH
W, 7-0 --- NORTH DAKOTA
• Utah State women’s tennis posted a 3-0 home record last week with a 7-0 win against Lewis-Clark State, a 4-3 win against Southern Utah and a 7-0 win against North Dakota. Against the Warriors, USU won all three doubles matches as freshmen Ellee Bullock and Lucy Octave won at the first position (6-1), junior Maggie O’Meara and freshman Hannah Jones won at the second position (6-2), and sophomore Jenna Kane and freshman Sophia Haleas won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Octave won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 6-1), Bullock won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 6-1), O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 6-1), Haleas won at the No. 4 spot (6-0, 6-0), Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 6-2), and Kane won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-1). Against the Thunderbirds, the Aggies again took all three doubles matches. Bullock and Octave won at the first position (6-2), O’Meara and Jones won at the second position (6-2), and Kane and Haleas won at the third position (6-2). In singles, O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-1, 6-2), Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-2, 6-1) and Kane won at the No. 6 spot (6-2, 6-0). Against the Fighting Hawks, the Aggies swept doubles as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the first position (6-4), Bullock and Octave won at the second position (6-2) and O’Meara and Jones won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-0), sophomore Monika Van de Vondel won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 6-1), O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-3), Octave won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-3), Demerath won at the No. 5 spot (7-5, 6-0) and Jones won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-2).
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the Mountain West Outdoor Field...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross...03/20/2018
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear