LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - FEBRUARY 12, 2018
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Feb. 14 --- at New Mexico, 7 p.m. (MWN)
Sat., Feb. 17 --- NEVADA, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
• Utah State men’s basketball (14-2, 7-6) continues its 2017-18 season this week with two Mountain West games as it plays at New Mexico (12-14, 7-6) on Wednesday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m., and hosts Nevada (21-5, 10-2 MW) on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 4 p.m. The game at New Mexico will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch, while the game against Nevada will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 23-9 all-time against the Lobos, including a 9-7 road record, and 36-20 all-time against the Wolf Pack, including a 19-4 home record.
L, 65-83 --- at Wyoming
W, 71-65 --- BOISE STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with an 83-65 road loss at Wyoming, followed by a 71-65 home win against Boise State. Against the Cowboys, junior guard DeAngelo Isby made his first appearance in three games and led the Aggies with 16 points, while sophomore guard Sam Merrill had 12 points. USU shot 40.4 percent (21-of-52) from the floor, 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 83.3 percent (15-of-18) at the free throw line. UW shot 50.0 percent (29-of-58) from the floor, 32.0 percent (8-of-25) from behind the 3-point line and 77.3 percent (17-of-22) at the free throw line. Against the Broncos, sophomore guard Koby McEwen led four Aggies in double figures with 23 points and was followed by sophomore guard Diogo Brito with a career-high 16 points, Merrill with 12 and junior forward Dwayne Brown Jr. with 10. USU shot 48.2 percent (27-of-56) from the floor, 36.0 percent (9-of-25) from behind the 3-point line and 72.7 percent (8-of-11) at the free throw line. BSU shot 46.3 percent (25-of-54) from the floor, 31.3 percent (5-of-16) from behind the 3-point line and 76.9 percent (10-of-13) at the free throw line.
Contact: Ashley Springer - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Feb. 16 --- at BYU, 5 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 18 --- UC IRVINE, 10 a.m.
Sun., Feb. 18 --- MONTANA STATE, 2 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (4-3, 1-0 MW) continues its 2018 season this weekend with three matches as it plays at BYU (7-0) on Friday, Feb. 16, at 5 p.m., and then hosts UC Irvine (1-3) and Montana State (0-4) at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club on Sunday, Feb. 18, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively.
L, 1-6 --- at #16 Texas
Cancelled --- at UTSA
• Utah State lost at No. 16 Texas, 6-1, in its only match of the week, as its match at UTSA was cancelled due to inclement weather. Freshman Felipe Acosta recorded the Aggies’ only singles win against the Longhorns after upsetting No. 79 John Mee at the No. 6 singles spot in straight sets (6-4, 6-0). Other Aggies who competed in the match include senior Jaime Barajas, junior Samuel Serrano, sophomore Sergiu Bucur, and freshmen Jose Carvajal and Valdemar Holm.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Feb. 14 --- NEW MEXICO, 7 p.m. (MWN)
Sat., Feb. 17 --- at Nevada, 3 p.m. (MT) (MWN)
• Utah State women’s basketball (5-19, 3-10 MW) continues its 2017-18 season this week with two Mountain West games as it hosts New Mexico (19-7, 7-6 MW) on Wednesday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m., and plays at Nevada (11-12, 4-8 MW) on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 3 p.m. (MT). Both games will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch. USU is 6-16 all-time against the Lobos, including a 4-6 home record, and 17-11 all-time against the Wolf Pack, including a 5-6 road record.
L, 46-64 --- WYOMING
L, 60-68 --- at Boise State
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West record last week with a 64-46 home loss to Wyoming and a 68-60 road loss at Boise State. Against the Cowgirls, sophomore guard Olivia West led the Aggies with 11 points, while sophomore guard/forward Shannon Dufficy had a team-best seven rebounds. Overall, USU shot 37.0 percent (17-of-46) from the floor, 37.5 percent (3-of-8) from the 3-point line and 90.0 percent (9-of-10) from the free throw line. UW shot 50.0 percent (24-of-48) from the field, 66.7 percent (10-of-15) from behind the arc, and 75.0 percent (6-of-8) from the free throw line. Against the Broncos, Dufficy led USU with 13 points, while redshirt sophomore guard Victoria Price and West scored 12 and 11 points, respectively. Dufficy was also the leading rebounder for USU with seven. On the day, USU shot 40.4 percent (23-of-57) from the floor, 27.3 percent (3-of-11) from the 3-point line and 73.3 percent (11-of-15) from the free throw line. BSU shot 42.9 percent (21-of-49) from the field, 42.1 percent (8-of-19) from behind the arc, and 81.8 percent (18-of-22) from the free throw line.
Contact: Ashley Springer - (435) 797-8584
Thur., Feb. 15 --- at Utah, 6 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 17 --- at Grand Canyon, 10 a.m.
Sat., Feb. 17 --- vs. Mesa CC (Phoenix, Ariz.), 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (4-4, 0-0 MW) continues its 2018 season this week on the road with a match at Utah (2-1) on Thursday, Feb. 15, at 6 p.m. The Aggies then head to Phoenix, Ariz., to compete in a doubleheader at Grand Canyon (4-6) and against Mesa CC (1-1) on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 10 a.m. (MT), and 2 p.m., respectively.
L, 0-7 --- at Denver
• Utah State lost at Denver, 7-0, in its only match last week. Senior Maggie O’Meara and freshman Sasha Pisareva recorded a win in doubles at the No. 2 spot (6-3). Pisareva then took her singles match at the No. 1 spot against No. 47 Julia O’Loughlin to three sets (4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)). Other Aggies who competed against the Pioneers include senior Sabrina Demerath, sophomores Rhoda Tanui, Lucy Octave and Hannah Jones, and redshirt freshman Alexandra Taylor.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
at Marucci Desert Classic, Las Vegas, Nev.
Fri., Feb. 16 --- vs. Florida International, 10 a.m. (MT)
Fri., Feb. 16 --- vs. Seattle, 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 17 --- vs. Buffalo, 12:15 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 17 --- vs. Hawai’i, 2;30 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Feb. 18 --- vs. Bradley, 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s softball team (2-3) continues its 2018 season in Las Vegas, Nev., this weekend with five games at the UNLV-hosted Marucci Desert Classic. USU will begin the tournament with two games on Friday, Feb. 16, against Florida International (2-4) at 10 a.m. (MT) and Seattle (3-2) at 2:30 p.m. (MT). USU will then face Buffalo (1-3) and Hawai’i (4-0) on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 12:15 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. (MT), respectively. The weekend will close with a game against Bradley (2-2) on Sunday, Feb. 18, at 10 a.m. (MT).
at Titan Classic, Fullerton, Calif.
L, 2-3 --- vs. Pittsburgh
W, 5-2 --- at CS Fullerton
L, 2-3 --- vs. Middle Tennessee
W, 5-2 --- vs. Loyola Marymount
L, 5-11 --- vs. Rutgers
• Utah State posted a 2-3 record at the Cal State Fullerton-hosted Titan Classic last weekend. USU opened the tournament in a 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh before defeating the host Titans, 5-2. The Aggies then split games against Middle Tennessee (L, 3-2) and Loyola Marymount (W, 5-2). The weekend ended in an 11-5 loss to Rutgers. Three pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined ERA of 3.47. The group allowed 26 total hits and 21 runs, while striking out 18 batters and walking an additional 13. At the plate, sophomore outfielder Riley Plogger led the Aggies, batting .533 (8-of-15). Plogger also scored a team-high five runs and batted in another five. The Aggies hit four home runs and four doubles, while tallying 35 hits. Junior first baseman Bailee Trapp led the defense with 40 putouts, while freshman shortstop Emery Marshall added 12 assists.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Mon., Feb. 12 --- at Southern Utah, 7 p.m.
Fri., Feb. 16 --- at #14 Boise State, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (4-3, 0-1 MRGC) continues its 2018 season this week with two Mountain Rim road meets as it competes at Southern Utah (2-3, 1-3 MRGC) on Monday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., and at No. 16 Boise State (8-0, 3-0 MRGC) on Friday, Feb. 16, at 7 p.m.
1st, 195.000 --- at UC Davis / vs. Sacramento State
• Utah State picked up its first two victories away from home, recording a 195.000 to defeat host UC Davis (194.525) and Sacramento State (194.400) last weekend. Utah State concluded the meet on beam and claimed a season-high event total with a 49.225, which ranks fifth all-time in school history. Junior Emily Briones capped the night for USU by recording a career-high 9.925 on beam, a score that ranks tied for fourth all-time in school history. She is the first Aggie to earn that score on the event since Liesel Kohler in 2005. Freshmen Autumn DeHarde and Taylor Dittmar tied for fourth on beam with 9.850s. For Dittmar, it was a personal best. Utah State opened the meet on floor, where DeHarde, along with fellow freshmen Faith Leary and Leighton Varnadore, all earned a 9.800 to tie for third. The visiting Aggies finished with a 48.800 on the event. Moving to vault in the second rotation, junior Madison Ward captured the event title with a 9.825, helping USU tally a 48.675 as a team. Leary notched a 9.750 to tie for fifth. Varnadore was the lone Aggie to place in the top five as she had a career-high-tying 9.800 to tie for fourth. As a team, Utah State recorded a 48.300 on vault. On bars, USU scored a 48.300 and was led by Varnadore, who tied for fourth with a 9.8.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sat., Feb. 22-24 --- at MW Champs., Albuquerque, N.M., All Day
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s indoor track & field teams will continue their respective 2018 seasons next weekend as they travel to Albuquerque, N.M., to compete in the Mountain West Indoor Championships from Thursday, Feb. 22 through Saturday, Feb. 24. USU’s men placed third at last year’s MW Indoor Championships, while the Aggie women finished ninth.
NTS --- at Iowa State Invitational
NTS --- at New Mexico Invitational
NTS --- at Boise State Invitational
• Utah State’s track & field teams won six event titles, set 45 personal bests, and broke two school records last weekend as senior distance runner Dillon Maggard and junior thrower Brenn Flint continued their stellar individual seasons. Maggard ran the 5,000m race at the Iowa State Classic in a school-record time of 13:40.59 to finish second overall. In his heat, Maggard finished ahead of nine 2017 cross country All-Americans. Meanwhile, at the New Mexico-hosted Don Kirby Invitational, Flint set the school’s shot put bench mark for the fourth time this season, as she recorded a throw of 16.53m (54-2.75) to place fifth in the event. Joining Maggard at the Iowa State Classic, senior sprinter Clay Lambourne ran a 1:48.44 in the 800m race to take sixth. His time is a personal best, and is second all-time in school history only behind former Olympian and NCAA national champion Mark Enyeart. Senior Tylee Newman-Skinner and junior Cierra Simmons placed 16th and 17th in the mile with times of 4:50.15 and 4:50.64, respectively, both of which are top-five marks all-time at USU. Back at the Don Kirby Invitational, Utah State’s women’s 4x400m relay team recorded the seventh-fastest time in USU history, as the team of sophomore Melanie Sullivan, senior Breann Bate, freshman Jordan Brandt and freshman Kasia Lawrynowicz crossed the line in 3:44.34 to take sixth. On the men’s side, freshman distance runner Stokton Smith placed first in the 3,000m race with a personal-best time of 8:29.93. In the shot put, senior David Hirschmann recorded a new personal best with a toss of 17.62m (57-9.75) to take fourth place. Lastly, at the Boise State-hosted Bronco Challenge, senior Kelsey Yamauchi-Richins claimed the 5,000m title with a personal-best time of 17:12.93, just ahead of fellow senior Jackie Heaps, who placed second with a time of 18:24.80. Freshman Whitney Skabelund won the long jump in her first attempt at the event this season with a mark of 5.49m (18-0.25), before setting a new personal best in the triple jump with a distance of 11.0m (36-10.25) to take fourth. Freshman Bailey Maseda was USU’s top finisher in the triple jump, traveling a personal-best 11.34m (37-2.50). On the men’s side, junior James Withers claimed the 5,000m crown with a time of 14:37.22. In the field, junior Leaugen Fray won the long jump with a distance of 7.31m (23-11.75), while junior pole vaulter Sam Nelson cleared a height of 5.00m (16-4.75) to tie his personal best and win the event.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Feb. 12-13 --- at Southern Utah Invite, St. George, Utah, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will begin its 2018 spring season on Monday, Feb. 12, at the 14th annual Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Southern Utah University in St. George, Utah.
• During its fall season, Utah State played in four tournaments with its best finish coming at the Cal State Northridge-hosted Bill Cullum Invitational as the Aggies placed first out of 12 teams with a 16-under 848 (291-276-281). Overall, it was USU’s first tournament win since Sept. 2, 2014, when it claimed the tournament title at the Weber State-hosted Battle in the Tetons held in Victor, Idaho. And, according to available records, it was also USU’s first-ever tournament win in the state of California. In all, USU placed among the top-seven in its last three fall tournaments.
Utah State Softball Drops...
Utah State softball opened the weekend of competition at the UNLV-hosted Marucci Desert Classic, ...02/16/2018
Utah State Women's...
Utah State women's basketball (5-20, 3-11 MW) returns to the road this weekend, as it plays at...02/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
For the fourth time in as many years and third straight in Provo, the Utah State men's tennis...02/16/2018
Utah State Athletics...
Utah State Assistant Vice President and Deputy Athletics Director for External Affairs Coleman...02/16/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (4-5) lost, 7-0, to Utah (3-1) on Thursday night in Salt Lake City.02/15/2018
USU Softball Continuing...
Utah State softball (2-3) continues its preseason tournament schedule this weekend at the UNLV-ho...02/15/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Ready...
Fresh off a tri-meet sweep at UC Davis last weekend and a dual-meet victory at Southern Utah this...02/15/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
Utah State men's tennis (4-3, 1-0 MW) looks to win its fourth straight match against in-state...02/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Indoor Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear