LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - FEBRUARY 13, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Feb. 15 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 8 p.m. (CBSSN)
Sat., Feb. 18 --- at Nevada, 6 p.m. (MT) (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (11-13, 5-8) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it hosts San Diego State (14-10, 6-6) on Wednesday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221) and then plays at Nevada (19-6, 8-4) on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 6 p.m. (MT) in a game that will be streamed live on ESPN3. USU is 3-8 all-time against the Aztecs, including a 1-2 home record, and 36-17 against the Wolf Pack, including a 14-13 road record.
L, 52-69 --- at Colorado State
W, 81-74 --- WYOMING
• Utah State split its Mountain West games last week with a 69-52 loss at Colorado State, followed by an 81-74 home win against Wyoming. Against the Rams, sophomore forward Quinn Taylor led USU with 11 points as the Aggies shot a season-low 35.6 percent (21-of-59) from the floor. USU also shot 26.9 percent (7-of-26) from behind the 3-point line and season lows at the free throw line with three makes on four attempts. Colorado State finished the game shooting 40.0 percent (24-of-60) from the floor, 43.3 percent (13-of-30) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (8-of-12) at the free throw line. Against the Cowboys, senior wing Jalen Moore led five Aggies in double figures with 23 points as USU shot 44.6 percent (25-of-56) from the floor, 42.1 percent (8-of-19) from behind the 3-point line and 85.2 percent (23-of-27) at the free throw line. Wyoming finished the game shooting 45.8 percent (27-of-59) from the floor, 40.0 percent (12-of-30) from behind the 3-point line and 61.5 (8-of-13) at the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Feb. 18 --- GRAND CANYON, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (5-2, 0-0 MW) will continue its 2017 season this weekend by hosting Grand Canyon (1-2) on Saturday, Feb. 18, at 11 a.m. at the Sports Academy & Racquet Club. All home matches are streamed live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
W, 7-0 --- at Colorado College
L, 2-4 --- at Colorado
• Utah State women’s tennis posted a 1-1 road record last week with a 7-0 win at Colorado College and a 4-2 loss at Colorado. Against the Tigers, USU swept the doubles point as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the first position (6-1), freshmen Lucy Octave and Sophia Haleas won at the second position (6-1), and sophomore Jenna Kane and freshman Ellee Bullock won at the third position (6-0). In singles, Guensler swept her opponent at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-2), Demerath won at the No. 2 spot (7-5, 6-1), Octave won at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 6-1), Haleas won at the No. 4 spot (6-3, 6-4), Kane nearly shut out her opponent at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-1) and Bullock won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-1). Against the Buffaloes, USU lost the doubles point. In singles, Octave won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 4-6, 6-4) and Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-4).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Feb. 15 --- at San Diego State, 7:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 18 --- NEVADA, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (13-11, 6-7) continues its 2016-17 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it travels to San Diego State (8-15, 3-9) on Wednesday, Feb. 15, at 7:30 p.m. (MT), and hosts Nevada (9-14, 3-9) on Saturday, Feb. 18, at 2 p.m. Both games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network, while all USU home games are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 4-5 all-time against SDSU and 15-11 all-time against UN.
W, 55-48 --- COLORADO STATE
L, 40-59 --- at Wyoming
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with 55-48 home win against league-leading Colorado State and a 59-40 road loss at Wyoming. Against the Rams, freshman guard Eliza West led USU with 16 points, while freshman guard Olivia West added 13 points and freshman forward Shannon Dufficy grabbed a career-high 17 rebounds. Overall, USU shot 42.0 percent (21-of-50) from the field, including 26.3 percent (5-of-19) from the 3-point line, and was 80.0 percent (8-of-10) from the free throw line. Colorado State shot a season-low 26.8 percent (15-of-56) from the field, 31.0 percent (9-of-21) from behind the arc and 69.2 percent (9-of-13) from the free throw line. Against the Cowgirls, sophomore guard Rachel Brewster led the Aggies with 15 points. Overall, USU shot 31.5 percent (17-of-54) from the field, including 11.1 percent (2-of-18) from the 3-point line, and was 80.0 percent (4-of-5) from the free throw line. Wyoming shot 39.6 percent (19-of-48) from the field, 20.0 percent (3-of-15) from behind the arc and 90.0 percent (18-of-20) from the free throw line.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Feb. 17 --- #8 BOISE STATE, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (5-3, 2-1) continues its 2017 season this weekend with a Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference home meet against eighth-ranked Boise State (6-3, 2-0) on Friday, Feb. 17, at 7 p.m.
L, 195.725-196.725 --- at #16 Southern Utah
• Utah State set a season-high road score last weekend in its 196.725-195.725 Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference loss at 16th-ranked Southern Utah. SUU swept the individual event titles, but USU freshman Brittany Jeppesen placed second on bars with a career-best 9.875, while senior Bailey McIntire tied for second on beam with a 9.825. McIntire also tied for fourth on floor with a 9.875 and tied for seventh on bars with a 9.825. The Aggies began the meet on bars, recording a season-high team score of 49.200. While Jeppesen placed second, sophomore Madison Ward tied for third with a career-best 9.850. In the second rotation, the Aggies recorded a 48.575 on vault, highlighted by junior Miranda Hone’s career-high-tying 9.800 to place fourth. On floor, USU recorded a 49.050, its second-highest team score of the season on the event. USU closed the meet on beam, notching a 48.900, its second-highest team score of the season on the event. McIntire tied for second on the event with her teammate, freshman Elle Golison. Senior Hayley Sanzotti tied for fourth with a 9.800.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sat., Feb. 23-25 --- at MW Champs., Albuquerque, N.M., All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will continue its 2017 season next weekend as it travels to Albuquerque, N.M., to compete in the 2017 Mountain West Indoor Championships from Thursday, Feb. 23 through Saturday, Feb. 25. USU’s men placed second at last year’s MW Indoor Championships, while the Aggie women finished ninth.
NTS --- at Arkansas Invitational
NTS --- at New Mexico Invitational
NTS --- at Boise State Team Challenge
• Utah State’s track and field teams spread their preparation efforts for the conference championships across three states, as the Aggies captured a total of 29 top-five finishes last weekend at the New Mexico-hosted Don Kirby Elite Invitational, the Boise State Team Challenge and the Arkansas-hosted Tyson Invitational. Utah State’s 4x400-meter relay team cruised to victory and broke the school record with a time of 3:07.23 at the Tyson Invitational. Setting the record for the Aggies were juniors Josh Gordon and Brady Martin, freshman Michael Bluth and senior AJ Boully. Overall, Boully turned in the best split with a 45.17 surge to the finish. The previous 4x400-meter relay record of 3:08.89 was set just last year by Parker Bluth, Cole Lambourne, Clay Lambourne and Martin. Additionally, Boully won the 400m with a personal-best time of 46.69, which ranks fifth all-time in school history. At the Don Kirby Elite Invitational, the Aggie men were led by junior Dillon Maggard, who placed second in the mile with a time of 4:03.54. Maggard’s converted mile time of 3:58.23 ranks 10th nationally. On the women’s side, sophomore Kashley Carter placed third in the 3,000m with a time of 9:47.77, while fellow sophomore Cierra Simmons placed fourth in the mile, clocking a time of 4:56.6. The women’s throwers also excelled as junior Olivia Moriconi finished seventh in the shot put with a toss of 14.84m (48-8.25) and sophomore Brenn Flint placed eighth with a mark of 14.77m (48-5.50). At the Boise State Team Challenge, USU’s distance runners prevailed as junior Jackie Heaps and freshman Bailee Parker placed first and second in the women’s 5,000m with times of 17:44 and 17:45, respectively. The Aggie men also claimed the top spot in the 5,000m with sophomore James Withers in first (14:36) and freshman Luke Beattie in second (14:37), while junior Tyler Roberts won the 3,000m (8:40.86).
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Feb. 13-14 --- at Southern Utah Invite, St. George, Utah, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season on Monday, Feb. 13, at the 13th annual Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Southern Utah University. The two-day, 36-hole tournament will be held at the Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George, Utah.
W, 5.5-0.5 --- vs. Southern Utah, St. George, Utah
• Utah State began its 2017 spring season with a convincing 5.5-0.5 match play win against Southern Utah last weekend at the Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George, Utah. USU won five of the six matches played as Southern Utah’s only points in the competition came in the first match as USU senior Tanner Jenson halved his match with SUU’s Fidel Concepcion. USU won the other five matches as junior Braxton Miller defeated Jake Vincent 2&1, freshman Chase Lansford defeated Brodey Payzant 5&4, senior Eli Rogers posted a 3&2 win against Ali Hameed, freshman Hayden Eckert notched a 1 up win against Bradley Collet, and sophomore Braydon Swapp defeated Humza Hameed, 4&3.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Mon., Feb. 17-20 --- at ITA National Tourn., Charlottesville, Va.
• Utah State men’s tennis (7-3, 0-0) continues its 2017 season this week at the prestigious ITA National Team Indoor Tournament beginning this Friday, Feb. 17, and lasting through Monday, Feb. 20. USU’s opening-round opponent will be announced later this week. This will be USU’s first participation in the event after winning its regional during ITA Kick-Off weekend by defeating Wichita State (4-1) and then-No. 12 TCU (4-3).
W, 4-3 --- at Arizona
W, 4-0 --- vs. Marquette, Tucson, Ariz.
W, 4-3 --- vs. Grand Canyon, Tucson, Ariz.
• Utah State men’s tennis posted a 3-0 record away from home last week as it defeated Arizona (4-3), Marquette (4-0) and Grand Canyon (4-3) in Tucson, Ariz. Against the Wildcats, the Aggies won the doubles point as junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the first position (6-4) and junior Jaime Barajas and freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (6-1, 6-4), Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (6-7, 6-4, 6-4) and Serrano won at the No. 6 spot (2-6, 6-1, 6-2). Against the Golden Eagles, USU again won the doubles point as Wehnelt and Serrano won at the first position (6-4), and senior Jack Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the second position (6-3). In singles, Wehnelt won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-2), Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-3) and Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-1, 6-1). Against the Antelopes, USU claimed the doubles point as Wehnelt and Serrano won at the first position (6-4), and Swindells and Maier won at the second position (6-2). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-0), Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-2, 6-2) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (4-6, 6-4, 6-2).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
at Wilson/DeMarini Desert Classic, Las Vegas, Nev.
Fri., Feb. 17 --- vs. Memphis, 3:30 p.m. (MT)
Fri., Feb. 17 --- vs. Southern Utah, 5:45 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 18 --- vs. Weber State, 3:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Feb. 18 --- vs. UTEP, 5:45 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Feb. 19 --- vs. Texas State, 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s softball team (4-1) continues its 2017 season in Las Vegas, Nev., this weekend with five games at the UNLV-hosted Wilson/DeMarini Desert Classic. USU will begin the tournament with a pair of games on Friday, Feb. 17, against Memphis (3-2) and Southern Utah (1-3) at 3:30 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. (MT), respectively. USU will then face Weber State (0-4-1) and UTEP (0-5) on Saturday, Feb. 18, at 3:30 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. (MT), respectively, followed by its final game of the tournament against Texas State (4-1) on Sunday, Feb. 19, at 10 a.m. (MT).
at Easton Invitational, Fullerton, Calif.
W, 5-3 --- vs. Pacific
W, 2-1 (8) --- vs. North Dakota State
W, 9-5 --- vs. Loyola Marymount
W, 7-3 --- at CS Fullerton
L, 1-3 --- vs. Loyola Marymount
• Utah State opened the 2017 season with a 4-1 record at the Cal State Fullerton-hosted Easton Invitational last weekend with wins against Pacific (5-3), North Dakota State (2-1), Loyola Marymount (9-5) and Cal State Fullerton (7-3), before concluding the tournament with a loss to LMU (3-1). Four pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined earned run average of 3.34. The five allowed 28 total hits and 15 runs, while striking out 23 batters and walking an additional 14. At the plate, senior first baseman Paxton Provost led the Aggies, batting .476 with a team-high seven hits. The Aggies hit one home run, three triples and two doubles on the weekend, while tallying 35 hits. Sophomore pinch runner Mia Maher led the team in runs scored with four, while senior outfielder Amanda Sheets and senior designated player Sydney Hart each tallied a team-high four RBIs. Provost also led the team defensively, recording 31 putouts on the weekend, while senior Victoria Saucedo added 14 assists.
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear