LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - FEBRUARY 27, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., March 1 --- at UNLV, 9 p.m. (MT) (ESPNU)
• Utah State men’s basketball (13-15, 7-10) concludes its 2016-17 regular season this week with a Mountain West game at UNLV (10-19, 3-13) on Wednesday, March 1, at 9 p.m. (MT) in a game that will be nationally televised on ESPNU (Comcast Ch. 400/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 141, DirecTV Ch. 208). USU is 5-31 all-time against the Rebels, including a 1-17 road record.
W, 81-75 --- at San José State
W, 89-58--- AIR FORCE
• Utah State won both of its Mountain West games last week with an 81-75 road victory at San José State, followed by an 89-58 victory over Air Force at home. Against the Spartans, freshmen guards Koby McEwen and Sam Merrill led the Aggies with 23 and 22 points, respectively, as USU shot 54.9 percent (28-of-51) from the floor, 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from behind the 3-point line and 95.0 percent (19-of-20) at the free throw line. The Spartans finished the game shooting 45.9 percent (28-of-61) from the floor, 57.1 percent (12-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 70.0 percent (7-of-10) at the free throw line. Against the Falcons, senior wing Jalen Moore matched a career high with 24 points as USU shot 59.6 percent (34-of-57) from the floor, 52.0 percent (13-of-25) from behind the 3-point line and 80.0 percent (8-of-10) at the free throw line. Air Force finished the game shooting 40.7 percent (22-of-54) from the floor, 28.6 percent (6-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 47.1 percent (8-of-17) at the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., March 4 --- vs. UTEP, Flagstaff, Ariz., 10 a.m.
Sat., March 4 --- vs. Pima CC, Flagstaff, Ariz., 3 p.m.
Sun., March 5 --- at Northern Arizona, 10 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (7-3, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this weekend with three matches in Flagstaff, Ariz., as it faces UTEP (4-7) and Pima CC (1-1) on Saturday, March 4 at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively, and plays at Northern Arizona (5-2) on Sunday, March 5, at 10 a.m.
W, 5-2 --- vs. Montana, Spokane, Wash.
L, 1-6 --- at Gonzaga
• Utah State split its two matches in Spokane, Wash., last week with a 5-2 win against Montana and a 6-1 loss to Gonzaga. Against the Grizzlies, USU took the doubles point as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the second position (6-0) and freshmen Sophia Haleas and Hannah Jones won at the third position (6-4). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (7-5, 6-3), freshman Lucy Octave won at the No. 3 spot (7-5, 6-3), Jones won at the No. 5 spot (4-6, 6-4, 6-3) and Haleas won by default at the No. 6 spot. Against the Bulldogs, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel posted USU’s only point with a win at the No. 3 spot in singles (7-6 (3), 6-2).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Tues., Feb. 28 --- UNLV, 7 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (15-13, 8-9) concludes its 2016-17 regular season this week with a Mountain West home game against UNLV (20-8, 11-5) on Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 7 p.m. The game will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network and is also available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 3-19 all-time against UNLV.
W, 82-78 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE
L, 61-64 --- at Air Force
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with an 82-78 home win against San José State and a 64-61 road loss at Air Force. Against the Spartans, sophomore guard Rachel Brewster tied her career-high with 22 points, while freshman forward Hailey Bassett added a career-high 16 points and sophomore center Deja Mason recorded her second double-double of the season with a career-high 13 points and a career-high-tying 12 rebounds. Overall, USU shot 41.3 percent (31-of-75) from the field, including 25.0 percent (4-of-16) from the 3-point line, and was 76.2 percent (16-of-21) from the free throw line. SJSU shot 40.0 percent (28-of-70) from the field, 38.7 percent (12-of-31) from behind the arc and 66.7 percent (10-of-15) from the free throw line. Against the Falcons, senior forward Antoina Robinson scored a career-high 17 points, while freshman guard Eliza West added 11 points and eight assists. In all, USU shot 55.6 percent (25-of-45) from the field, including 28.6 percent (2-of-7) from the 3-point line, and was 60.0 percent (9-of-15) from the free throw line. Air Force shot 39.6 percent (19-of-48) from the field, 40.0 percent (6-of-15) from behind the arc and 76.9 percent (20-of-26) from the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., March 3 --- BYU, 1:30 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (7-6, 0-0) continues its 2017 season this week as it hosts BYU (8-6) on Friday, March 3, at 1:30 p.m., at the Sports Academy & Racquet Club. It will be the first home match against BYU since 1985, a span of 31-straight matches played away from Logan. All home matches are streamed live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
at ITA National Team Indoors Tournament, Charlottesville, Va.
L, 0-4 --- at #1 Virginia
L, 0-5 --- vs. #9 USC
L, 0-4 --- vs. #10 Georgia
• Utah State men’s tennis posted an 0-3 record at the ITA National Team Indoors Tournament last weekend in Charlottesville, Va., with a 4-0 loss against No. 1 Virginia, a 5-0 loss against No. 9 USC and a 4-0 loss against No. 10 Georgia. Against the Bulldogs, senior Jack Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the second doubles position (6-4). Also competing for the Aggies were juniors Kai Wehnelt, Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima, sophomore Samuel Serrano and freshman Sergiu Bucur.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., March 10-11 --- at NCAA Champs., College Station, Texas, All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will conclude its 2017 season at the NCAA Indoor Championships, hosted by Texas A&M, on Friday and Saturday, March 10-11.
M: 3/6; W: 9/11 --- at Mountain West Championships, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State’s track & field teams closed out the 2017 Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Championships, bringing home a total of five event titles as the Aggie men finished third with 110.5 points, while the women ended in ninth with 42 points. Overall, the men and women from Colorado State won the team titles, recording 183 and 102.5 points, respectively. Senior AJ Boully snagged gold for the Aggies in the men’s 400m by recording a time of 46.48, which ranks second all-time in school history. Additionally, Boully continued his first-team all-conference honors streak by winning the 4x400-meter relay, along with freshman Michael Bluth and juniors Brady Martin and Joshua Gordon, posting a time of 3:09.21. Boully also finished third in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.85, which ranks second all-time in USU history. Coming in behind Boully in the 400m was Martin and Bluth in second and third, respectively, with times of 46.94 and 47.18. Junior Clay Lambourne successfully defended his 800-meter title and completed the three-peat in that event by recording a meet-record time of 1:49.20. Lambourne’s time ranks second all-time in school history. Sophomore Leaugen Fray won the long jump title with a personal-best mark of 7.52m (24-8.25), which ranks third all-time in USU history. Additionally, Fray placed second in the high jump by clearing a height of 2.12m (6-11.50), which ranks sixth all-time in school history. Junior Dillon Maggard paced the men’s distance runners with a runner-up finish in the men’s mile (4:07.78). Junior David Hirschmann recorded a personal-best toss of 17.30m (56-9.25) in the shot put, placing third. The Aggie men also placed second in the distance medley relay as freshmen Brody Smith and Bluth, and juniors Jordan Beutler and Maggard recorded a time of 9:49.24, which ranks third all-time in school history. On the women’s side, sophomore Brenn Flint placed second in the shot put with a personal-best distance of 15.40m (50-6.25), which ranks second all-time in USU history, while sophomore Cierra Simmons placed third in the mile with a time of 4:52.88.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Thur., March 2 --- at #10 Boise State, 7 p.m.
Sun., March 5 --- at San José State, 2 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State gymnastics (7-7, 2-2) continues its 2017 season this weekend on the road as it competes in a Mountain Rim Gymnastics meet at No. 10 Boise State (7-4) on Thursday, March 2, at 7 p.m., and then competes at San José State (5-11) on Sunday, March 5, at 2 p.m. (MT).
2nd, 195.700 --- at #4 UCLA/vs. Bridgeport
3rd, 196.200 --- at #15 Nebraska/vs. #19 Cal/vs. SE Missouri
• Utah State competed in two meets last week as it placed second at the UCLA tri-meet with a team score of 195.700, and then placed third at the Nebraska quad-meet with a 196.200, which is the seventh-best score in program history and the third-highest road score. In the Nebraska quad-meet, USU recorded a 48.875 on vault, 49.125 on bars, 49.125 on beam and 49.075 on floor. Utah State began the meet on bars, where they recorded their second-highest score of the season with the 49.125. Senior Bailey McIntire and freshman Jazmyn Estrella led the way with a pair of 9.850s to tie for fifth. USU then competed on beam and notched a 49.175, which is its second-highest score of the season. Senior Keri Peel tied for third with a career-high-tying 9.875. The Aggies moved to floor for the third rotation and finished with a 49.075, which is tied for the third-highest team score of the season. Sophomore Madison Ward tied for third with a career-high-tying 9.900. The Aggies then notched a 48.875 on vault as freshman Elle Golison tied her career high with a 9.825, tying for fifth. In the UCLA-hosted tri-meet, Ward tied for third on floor with a 9.875, while freshman Brittany Jeppesen tied for third on bars with a career-high-tying 9.875 and senior Hayley Sanzotti placed third on beam with a 9.825. Overall, USU scored a 48.925 on vault, a 49.050 on bars, a 48.650 on beam and a 49.075 on floor.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
at St. George Red Desert Classic, St. George, Utah
Fri., March 3 --- vs. Utah Valley, 3 p.m.
Fri., March 3 --- vs. Nebraska-Omaha, 5:30 p.m.
Sat., March 4 --- vs. Binghamton, 1:30 p.m.
Sat., March 4 --- vs. Iowa State, 4 p.m.
Sun., March 5 --- vs. Montana, 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s softball team (8-3) continues its 2017 season in St. George, Utah, this weekend with five games at the Red Desert Classic. USU will begin the tournament with games against Utah Valley (0-4) and Nebraska-Omaha (4-9) on Friday, March 3, at 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. USU will then face Binghamton (2-4) and Iowa State (7-7) on Saturday, March 4, at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively. USU will then conclude tournament action on Sunday, March 5, with a single game against Montana (5-9) at 10 a.m.
at Amy S. Harrison Classic, Riverside, Calif.
L, 5-7 --- vs. UTEP
W, 5-1 --- vs. Siena
W, 5-1 --- at UC Riverside
W, 4-1 --- vs. UTEP
Cancelled --- at UC Riverside
• Utah State posted a 4-1 record at the UC Riverside-hosted Amy S. Harrison Classic last weekend. The Aggies opened the tournament with a 7-5 loss to UTEP, before posting wins against Siena (5-1), UC Riverside (5-1) and UTEP (4-1). Its final game of the tournament against the Highlanders was cancelled due to inclement weather. Senior April Brown and freshman Kellie White each pitched complete games to earn the three wins on the weekend, while sophomore Katie Schroeder made the first start against UTEP. On the weekend, the three allowed 18 hits and 10 runs, while posting a 2.00 ERA. The USU pitchers threw 23 strikeouts, led by 16 from Brown, while allowing 15 walks. At the plate, junior third baseman Amee Aarhus led the Aggies, as she batted .500 (6-of-12) on the weekend, while senior outfielder Amanda Sheets tallied a team-high seven hits. Senior catcher/designated player Sydney Hart had a 1.000 slugging percentage, hitting a home run in all three wins. Senior first baseman Paxton Provost was tops defensively, tallying a team-high 24 putouts.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Feb. 27-28 --- at Long Beach State Invite, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season on Monday, Feb. 27, at the 27th annual Long Beach State-hosted Del Walker Invitational.
2nd/12 --- at Southern Utah Invitational, St. George, Utah
• Utah State’s men’s golf team carded a final round of 4-under 284 to finish in second-place with a 7-under 569 (285-284) at the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational last week. Utah Valley won the 12-team Thunderbird Invitational with a 16-under 560 (278-282), while Boston College’s Matt Naumec claimed medalist honors with an 8-under 136 (67-69). USU was led by freshman Chase Lansford, who tied for fifth-place at 5-under 139 (71-68). For Lansford, it is his best collegiate finish. Also competing for USU was senior Tanner Jenson, who tied for 13th place at 1-under 143 (72-71). USU freshman Hayden Eckert (75-70) and senior Eli Rogers (70-75) both tied for 20th place at 1-over 145. Rounding out Utah State’s finishers was junior Braxton Miller, who tied for 26th place at 3-over 147 (72-75) and sophomore Braydon Swapp, who tied for 38th place at 8-over 150 (74-76) as he competed as an individual.
Utah State Soccer Ends Road...
One early goal was all it took for Utah State to earn a road win at Fresno State Sunday afternoon.09/24/2017
Utah State Ranks First in...
The Aggies have recovered six fumbles this season, which ranks first in the Mountain West and...09/24/2017
Aggie Golfers Continue 2017...
Utah State's golf team will continue its fall schedule this week as it travels to Erie, Colo., to...09/24/2017
Utah State Opens Mountain...
Senior quarterback Kent Myers accounted for 265 yards of total offense and four touchdowns as...09/23/2017
Aggies Begin Mountain West ...09/18/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis captured titles in both singles and doubles at the Idaho State Invite...09/24/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis had victories in the singles and doubles brackets on Saturday, with two...09/23/2017
Utah State Opens League...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball started its conference slate with a perfect 2-0 record for...09/23/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Lauren AndersonSport: Women's Volleyball
Class: SeniorLauren Anderson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear