LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - FEBRUARY 29, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., March 1 --- at Air Force, 7 p.m. (ROOT)
Sat., March 5 --- FRESNO STATE, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (14-13, 6-10) concludes Mountain West action and the regular season this week with a pair of games as it plays at Air Force (14-15, 5-11) on Tuesday, March 1 at 7 p.m., and hosts Fresno State (20-9, 11-5) on Saturday, March 5 at 7 p.m. USU’s game at AFA will be televised regionally on ROOT Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683), while its game against FS will be streamed live on the internet via ESPN3. USU is 13-3 all-time against the Falcons, including a 5-3 road record and 32-23 all-time against the Bulldogs, including a 22-6 home record. Prior to its game against Fresno State, USU will honor its 2016 senior class.
L, 68-73 --- at Nevada
W, 88-70 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 73-68 road loss at Nevada and an 88-70 home win against San José State. Against the Wolf Pack, junior wing Jalen Moore scored 16 points, senior guard Chris Smith scored 12 points, redshirt junior forward Lew Evans had 11 points and 11 rebounds for his third double-double of the season, and junior guard Shane Rector scored 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 38.1 percent (24-of-63), including 27.3 percent (6-of-22) from 3-point range and a season-high 93.3 percent (14-of-15) at the free throw line. UN shot 47.4 percent (27-of-57), including 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from behind the arc and 75.0 percent (15-of-20) at the charity stripe. Against the Spartans, Smith scored 20 points and redshirt freshman forward Quinn Taylor had a career-best 16 points and a career-high tying 10 rebounds for his first career double-double. Senior guard Darius Perkins added 12 points and junior wing Jalen Moore scored 11 points. USU finished the game shooting 55.1 percent (27-of-49), including a season-high 58.8 percent (10-of-17) from 3-point range and 61.5 percent (24-of-39) at the free throw line. SJSU shot 39.7 percent (23-of-58), including 28.0 percent (7-of-25) from behind the arc and 60.7 percent (17-of-28) at the charity stipe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sun., March 6 --- at #70 Pacific, 3 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s tennis (9-4, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this weekend with a road match at No. 70 Pacific (6-4) on Sunday, March 6 at 3 p.m. (MT).
W, 5-2 --- GONZAGA
• Utah State posted a 1-0 home record last week with a 5-2 win against Gonzaga. In doubles, USU took the point as junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the second position (7-5) and sophomore Jaime Barajas and freshman Samuel Serrano won at the third position (6-3). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (6-4, 6-4), Maier won at the No. 2 spot (6-4, 6-1), Lopez won at the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-3) and Ugarte won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-1).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Tues., March 1 --- AIR FORCE, 7 p.m.
Fri., March 4 --- at Fresno State, 8 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s basketball (12-15, 7-9) concludes Mountain West play and the regular season this week with a home game against Air Force (1-26, 1-15) on Tuesday, March 1 at 7 p.m., followed by a road game at Fresno State (18-9, 14-2) on Friday, March 4 at 8 p.m. (MT). All-time, USU is 5-1 against AFA and 2-18 against FS. All conference games will be streamed live on the Aggie Digital Network through Campus Insiders. Prior to its game against Air Force, USU will honor its 2016 senior class.
W, 70-55 --- NEVADA
L, 65-83 --- at San José State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 70-55 home win against Nevada and an 83-65 road loss at San José State. Against the Wolf Pack, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu scored 25 points, while freshman center Deja Mason had 11 points and a season-high 10 rebounds for her first career double-double. USU finished the game shooting 42.0 percent (29-of-69), including 18.8 percent (3-of-16) from 3-point range and 75.0 percent (9-of-12) at the free throw line. UN shot 38.5 percent (20-of-52), including 42.9 percent (6-of-14) from behind the arc and 56.3 percent (9-of-16) at the charity stripe. Against the Spartans, freshman guard Rachel Brewster had 16 points, Nakkasoglu scored 15 points and senior forward Julianne Anchling added 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 38.3 percent (23-of-60), including 36.4 percent (8-of-22) from 3-point range and was a perfect 11-of-11 at the free throw line. SJSU shot 45.0 percent (27-of-60), including 40.0 percent (14-of-35) from behind the arc and 78.9 percent (15-of-19) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., March 4 --- BYU / NEW HAMPSHIRE, 7 p.m.
Sun., March 6 --- at #14 Nebraska, 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State gymnastics (4-6, 2-2 MRGC) continues its 2016 season this week with two meets as its hosts Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference foe BYU (3-7, 0-5), along with New Hampshire (11-5) on Friday, March 4 at 7 p.m. Prior to the meet, USU will honor its 2016 senior class. USU then competes at No. 14 Nebraska (10-3) on Sunday, March 6 at 1 p.m. (MT).
L, 194.675-196.425 --- #11 BOISE STATE
• Utah State fell at home against No. 11-ranked Boise State 196.425-194.675 last weekend. USU senior McKinzey Martinez placed second in the all-around with a score of 37.600. The Aggies started the meet on vault, where they set a season-high score of 48.975, as junior Katie Brown and senior Michelle Yasukochi both tied for second place with career-high-tying 9.825’s. USU then moved to bars, where the Aggies had to count a fall and scored a 48.400. Sophomore Melanie Oster led the way with a career-high-tying 9.825 to place third. On beam, USU once again had to count a fall in the team score, as the Aggies earned a 48.225 as freshman Emily Briones had a 9.800 to tie for fourth. In the final rotation, USU moved to floor, where senior Destiny Ezell had a career-high 9.850 to tie for second place as USU scored a 49.075. For the meet, BSU scored a 49.000 on vault, a 49.100 on bars, a 49.125 on beam and a 49.200 on floor.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Mon., March 7 --- vs. CS Fullerton, Los Angeles, Calif., 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Wed., March 9 --- at Loyola Marymount, 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Thur., March 10 --- at Concordia, 10 a.m. (MT)
Thur., March 10 --- vs. UC Riverside, Los Angeles, Calif., 4 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s tennis (4-6, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season next week with four matches in Los Angeles, Calif., as it plays CS Fullerton (6-1) on Monday, March 7 at 2:30 p.m. (MT), at Loyola Marymount (2-4) on Wednesday, March 9 at 2:30 p.m. (MT), at Concordia (1-3) on Thursday, March 10 at 10 a.m. (MT), and against UC Riverside (3-5) on Thursday, March 10 at 4 p.m. (MT).
L, 1-6 --- vs. Idaho, Pullman, Wash.
L, 1-6 --- at #66 Washington State
W, 4-0 --- vs. Lewis-Clark State, Pullman, Wash.
• Utah State posted a 1-2 record last week in Pullman, Wash., with a 6-1 loss to Idaho, a 6-0 loss at No. 66 Washington State and a 4-0 win against Lewis-Clark State. Against the Vandals, junior Nini Guensler won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-3). Against Lewis-Clark State, USU took the doubles point as juniors Ekaterina Tugarinova and Lexi Turley won at the first position (6-2) and Guensler and sophomore Meghan Lyall won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-0), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-1, 6-1), sophomore Sabrina Demerath won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-0) and sophomore Maggie O’Meara won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-2). Also competing was freshmen Jenna Kane and Monika Van de Vondel.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., March 11-12 --- at NCAA Champs., Birmingham, Ala., All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will conclude its 2016 season next weekend as qualifying individuals will compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday and Saturday, March 11-12.
M: 2nd/6; W: 9th/11 --- at Mountain West Indoor Championships
• Utah State’s men’s indoor track & field team finished runner-up to Air Force at the 2016 Mountain West Indoor Championships, held last weekend in Albuquerque, N.M. Three Aggies were crowned MW champions in their respective events, while the 4x400m relay team also captured first place, as USU totaled 141 points. Senior Parker Bluth teamed up with junior AJ Boully and sophomores Brady Martin and Clay Lambourne to cross the finish line in 3:09.48, the third-fastest time in school history in the 4x400m. The time was also the second fastest in MW Indoor Championships history and third best all-time in the conference. Unfortunately for the Aggies, the Falcons finished second in the event with a time of 3:11.78 to win the team title with 142 points. Martin set both a meet- and school record time of 46.26 in winning the men’s 400m title. His time is also the second-fastest in MW history. In the men’s 200m, Bluth won with a time of 20.79. Bluth also placed second in the 60m with a personal-record time of 6.71, which ranks tied for second in school history. Clay Lambourne repeated as the men’s 800m champion, crossing the line with a meet- and personal-record time of 1:49.22. On the women’s side, the Aggies finished ninth with 33 points. Senior Maci Bingham capped her indoor career by garnering first-team all-MW honors by placing second in both the shot put (15.38m/50-5.50) and the weight throw (19.09m/62-7.75), marks that both rank second all-time in school history. Sophomore Olivia Moriconi joined Bingham on the podium and also garnered first-team all-MW honors as she placed third in the shot put with a throw of 14.82m (48-07.50). Other Aggies to earn first-team all-conference accolades included sophomore Dillon Maggard, who placed second in the mile (4:10.82), junior Jason Allred, who placed third in the pole vault (5.01m/16-05.25), and Boully, who took second in the 400m (personal-best 46.95) and third in the 60m hurdles (personal-best 7.96). Maggard also placed fifth in the 3,000m with a personal-best time of 8:24.49, which ranks 10th all-time in school history. USU had several other athletes finish in the top-five in their respective events. Senior Cole Lambourne finished fourth in the men’s 400m (47.29) and fifth in the 200m (21.47), while senior Kaitlyn Wilcox placed fifth in the women’s 400m (personal-best 54.84). In the men’s 800m, sophomore Jordan Beutler (1:52.02) and senior Brett McAdams (1:52.29) finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
at UC Riverside Tournament
Sat., March 5 --- at UC Riverside, 10 a.m. (MT)
Sat., March 5 --- vs. Santa Clara, 3 p.m. (MT)
Sun., March 6 --- vs. Santa Clara, 10 a.m. (MT)
Sun., March 6 --- at UC Riverside 12:30 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s softball team (5-6, 0-0) continues its 2016 season this weekend at the UC Riverside-hosted Highlander Classic. USU will begin the tournament against UC Riverside (12-6) and Santa Clara (4-10 )on Saturday, March 5 at 10 a.m. (MT) and 3 p.m. (MT), respectively. USU will then conclude the tournament on Sunday, March 6 against Santa Clara and UC Riverside at 10 a.m. (MT) and 12:30 p.m. (MT), respectively.
at UNLV Tournament
W, 2-1 --- vs. Weber State
L, 10-8 (5) --- vs. Grand Canyon
W, 6-1 --- vs. UTEP
W, 10-4 --- vs. Southern Utah
L, 2-9 --- vs. CS Northridge
• Utah State continued the 2016 season posting a 3-2 record at the UNLV-hosted DeMarini Desert Classic two weekends ago. The Aggies opened the weekend with a 2-1 win over in-state rival Weber State before falling to Grand Canyon, 8-0, in five innings. The team swept the next day of competition, topping Southern Utah, 10-4, and UTEP, 6-1. The weekend concluded in a 9-2 loss to Cal State Northridge. Four USU pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined earned run average of 3.94. The four allowed 33 total hits and 23 runs, while striking out 19 batters and walking an additional 10. Junior April Brown led the pitching staff with a 2-0 record and a 1.31 ERA. At the plate, senior outfielder Sarah Chow led the Aggies, batting .353 with six hits. Junior outfielder Amanda Sheets led the team with four runs scored and was also the RBI leader with four. Defensively, senior first baseman Libby Pederson was tops with 25 putouts on the weekend.
Contact: Doug Hoffman- (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., March 28-29 --- at UC Irvine Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its 2016 spring season on Monday and Tuesday, March 28-29 when it competes in the UC Irvine Invitational.
7th/12 --- at Southern Utah Invitational
• Utah State shot a 3-over 291 during the final round of the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Invitational to finish the 36-hole tournament in seventh place with a 14-over 590 (299-291). Senior Seokwon Jeon shot a 2-over 74 in the final round to finish tied for fourth individually at 4-under 140 (66-74). Junior McCoy Willey posted a final round 4-under 68 to finish in a tie for 13th place at 1-over 145 (77-68). Junior Tanner Jenson finished tied for 28th at 5-over 149 (76-73), junior Eli Rogers tied for 55th at 12-over 156 (80-76) and freshman Keifer Higham placed 61st at 14-over 158 (81-77).
Utah State Soccer Ends Road...
One early goal was all it took for Utah State to earn a road win at Fresno State Sunday afternoon.09/24/2017
Utah State Ranks First in...
The Aggies have recovered six fumbles this season, which ranks first in the Mountain West and...09/24/2017
Aggie Golfers Continue 2017...
Utah State's golf team will continue its fall schedule this week as it travels to Erie, Colo., to...09/24/2017
Utah State Opens Mountain...
Senior quarterback Kent Myers accounted for 265 yards of total offense and four touchdowns as...09/23/2017
Aggies Begin Mountain West ...09/18/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis captured titles in both singles and doubles at the Idaho State Invite...09/24/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis had victories in the singles and doubles brackets on Saturday, with two...09/23/2017
Utah State Opens League...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball started its conference slate with a perfect 2-0 record for...09/23/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Lauren AndersonSport: Women's Volleyball
Class: SeniorLauren Anderson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear