LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 6, 2017
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
2017 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
Wed., March 8 --- vs. #9 San José State, 12 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
Thur., March 9 --- vs. #1 Nevada, 1 p.m. (MT) (CBSSN)
Fri., March 10 --- vs. TBA, Semifinals, 8 p.m. (MT) (CBSSN)
Sat., March 11 --- vs. TBA, Championship, 4 p.m. (MT) (CBS)
• Utah State men’s basketball (13-16, 7-11) is the eighth-seed in the upcoming Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., and will play ninth-seeded San José State (14-15, 7-11) in a first round game on Wednesday, March 8, at Noon (MT). The game will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network. If USU advances to the quarterfinals it will play top-seeded Nevada (25-6, 14-4) on Thursday, March 9, at 1 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the semifinals it will play at 8 p.m. (MT) on Friday, March 10, on CBS Sports Network, while the championship game will be on Saturday, March 11, at 4 p.m. (MT) on CBS. USU is 58-21 all-time against the Spartans, including a 5-4 record in the postseason. USU won the only meeting between the two teams during the regular season, with an 81-75 road win.
L, 59-66 --- at UNLV
• Utah State lost its regular season finale at UNLV last week, 66-59. Against the Runnin’ Rebels, senior wing Jalen Moore led four Aggies in double figures with 14 points and also led the team with seven rebounds. USU finished the game shooting 40.0 percent (22-of-55) from the floor, 45.0 percent (9-of-20) from behind the 3-point line and a season-low-tying 50.0 percent (6-of-12) at the free throw line. UNLV shot 43.1 percent (25-of-58) during the game, 28.6 percent (6-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 71.4 percent (10-of-14) at the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed., March 8 --- vs. Seton Hall, Los Angeles, Calif., 10 a.m. (MT)
Thur., March 9 --- vs. Georgetown, Los Angeles, Calif., 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s tennis (8-4, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this weekend with two matches in Los Angeles, Calif., as it faces Seton Hall (4-3) on Wednesday, March 8, at 10 a.m. (MT) and Georgetown (5-1) on Thursday, March 9, at 10 a.m. (MT).
W, 4-3 --- vs. UTEP, Flagstaff, Ariz.
L, 0-7 --- at Northern Arizona
• Utah State split its two matches in Flagstaff, Ariz., last weekend with a 4-3 win against UTEP and a 7-0 loss at Northern Arizona. Against the Miners, The Aggies won the doubles point as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the second position (6-4) and sophomore Jenna Kane and freshman Lucy Octave won at the third position (6-2). In singles, senior Ekaterina Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 2-6, 6-4), Octave won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 7-5) and freshman Hannah Jones won at the No. 5 spot (7-6 (5), 6-2).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
2017 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
Mon., March 7 --- vs. #11 Air Force, 8 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
Tues., March 8 --- vs. #3 UNLV, 9:30 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
Wed., March 9 --- vs. TBA, Semifinals, 10 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
Fri., March 10 --- vs. TBA, Championship, 1 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
• Utah State women’s basketball (16-13, 9-9) is the sixth-seed in the upcoming Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., and will play 11th-seeded Air Force (4-24, 2-16) in a first round game on Monday, March 7 at 8 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the quarterfinals it would play third-seeded UNLV (21-9, 12-6) on Tuesday, March 8 at 9:30 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the semifinals it will play at 10 p.m. (MT) on Wednesday, March 9, while the championship game will be on Friday, March 11 at 1 p.m. (MT). Every game during the tournament will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network. USU is 7-2 all-time against the Falcons, including a 1-1 record this year as each team won on its home court.
W, 58-49 --- UNLV
• Utah State wrapped up its regular season with a 58-49 home win against UNLV last week. Sophomore guard Katie Toole led USU with a season-high 16 points, while freshman guard Eliza West and sophomore guard Rachel Brewster tallied 13 and 12 points, respectively. Freshman guard Shannon Dufficy led the team with nine rebounds. Overall, USU shot 42.9 percent (24-of-56) from the field, including 18.8 percent (3-of-16) from the 3-point line, and was 87.5 percent (7-of-8) from the free throw line. UNLV shot 28.8 percent (15-of-52) from the field, 25.0 percent (6-of-24) from behind the arc and 92.9 percent (13-of-14) from the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Tues., March 7 --- at #39 Cal Poly, 1 p.m. (MT)
Thur., March 9 --- at Loyola Marymount, 10 a.m. (MT)
Thur., March 9 --- vs. Georgetown, Los Angeles, Calif., 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s tennis (8-6, 0-0) continues its 2017 season this week with three road matches at it plays at No. 33 Cal Poly (6-4) on Tuesday, March 7, at 1 p.m. (MT), at Loyola Marymount (3-7) on Thursday, March 9, at 10 a.m. (MT), and against Georgetown (2-3) in Los Angeles, Calif., on Thursday, March 9, at 1 p.m. (MT).
W, 4-3 --- BYU
• Utah State won its only match last week as it notched a 4-3 home win against BYU. The Aggies started the match winning the doubles point as junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the first position (6-3) and junior Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-2). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (5)), Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (7-6 (4), 6-4) and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-2, 2-6, 6-1).
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., March 10-11 --- at NCAA Champs., College Station, Texas, All Day
• Junior Dillon Maggard will represent Utah State’s indoor track & field teams at the 2017 season at the NCAA Indoor Championships, hosted by Texas A&M, on Friday and Saturday, March 10-11. Maggard ranks 13th in the nation in the mile and will compete in that event. Maggard earned All-American honors at last year’s NCAA Indoor Championships as he placed 12th with a time of 4:10.13.
M: 3/6; W: 9/11 --- at Mountain West Championships, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State’s track & field teams closed out the 2017 Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Championships, bringing home a total of five event titles as the Aggie men finished third with 110.5 points, while the women ended in ninth with 42 points. Overall, the men and women from Colorado State won the team titles, recording 183 and 102.5 points, respectively. Senior AJ Boully snagged gold for the Aggies in the men’s 400m by recording a time of 46.48, which ranks second all-time in school history. Additionally, Boully continued his first-team all-conference honors streak by winning the 4x400-meter relay, along with freshman Michael Bluth and juniors Brady Martin and Joshua Gordon, posting a time of 3:09.21. Boully also finished third in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.85, which ranks second all-time in USU history. Coming in behind Boully in the 400m was Martin and Bluth in second and third, respectively, with times of 46.94 and 47.18. Junior Clay Lambourne successfully defended his 800-meter title and completed the three-peat in that event by recording a meet-record time of 1:49.20. Lambourne’s time ranks second all-time in school history. Sophomore Leaugen Fray won the long jump title with a personal-best mark of 7.52m (24-8.25), which ranks third all-time in USU history. Additionally, Fray placed second in the high jump by clearing a height of 2.12m (6-11.50), which ranks sixth all-time in school history. Junior Dillon Maggard paced the men’s distance runners with a runner-up finish in the men’s mile (4:07.78). Junior David Hirschmann recorded a personal-best toss of 17.30m (56-9.25) in the shot put, placing third. The Aggie men also placed second in the distance medley relay as freshmen Brody Smith and Bluth, and juniors Jordan Beutler and Maggard recorded a time of 9:49.24, which ranks third all-time in school history. On the women’s side, sophomore Brenn Flint placed second in the shot put with a personal-best distance of 15.40m (50-6.25), which ranks second all-time in USU history, while sophomore Cierra Simmons placed third in the mile with a time of 4:52.88.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., March 10 --- #21 SOUTHERN UTAH, 7 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (7-9, 2-3), ranked 22nd nationally, concludes its 2017 regular season this weekend with a Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference home meet against No. 21 Southern Utah (6-2, 2-1) on Friday, March 10, at 7 p.m.
L, 195.675-196.700 --- at #10 Boise State
L, 194.025-195.150 --- at San José State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 record last week with a 196.700-195.675 loss at No. 10 Boise State and a 195.150-194.025 loss at San José State. Against the Broncos, USU scored a 48.925 on vault, 49.025 on bars, 48.850 on beam and 48.875 on floor. Individually, sophomore Madison Ward led USU as she tied for second on vault (9.825), placed third on floor (9.875) and tied for 10th on bars (9.775). Senior Keri Peel also finished in the top three in two events for USU, tying for third on both bars (9.850) and beam (9.850). Against the Spartans, USU scored a 48.450 on vault, a 48.950 on bars, a 47.550 on beam and a 49.075 on floor. Individually, Peel won the bars title with a career-high-tying 9.875, while junior Miranda Hone won vault with a 9.825. Senior Bailey McIntire won the all-around crown with a 38.800.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
at Southern Utah Tournament
Thur., March 9 --- at Southern Utah, 3 p.m.
Fri., March 10 --- vs. Wagner, 10 a.m.
Fri., March 10 --- vs. Bradley, 12:30 p.m.
Sat., March 11 --- vs. Wagner, 12:30 p.m.
Sun., March 12 --- vs. Bradley, 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s softball team (12-4) continues its 2017 season in Cedar City, Utah, this weekend with five games at the Southern Utah-hosted Beehive Classic. USU will begin the tournament on Thursday, March 9, against the host Thunderbirds (2-11) at 3 p.m. USU will then play a pair of games on Friday, March 10 against Wagner (0-5) and Bradley (11-9) on Friday, March 10, at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., respectively. On Saturday, March 11, USU will face Wagner at 12:30 p.m. And on Sunday, March 12, USU will conclude tournament action against Bradley at 10 a.m.
at St. George Red Desert Classic, St. George, Utah
W, 6-2 --- vs. Utah Valley
W, 3-0 --- vs. Nebraska-Omaha
W, 8-6 (8) --- vs. Binghamton
L, 1-2 (8) --- vs. Iowa State
W, 8-2 --- vs. Montana
• Utah State posted a 4-1 record at the St. George Red Desert Classic last weekend, as the Aggies recorded wins against Utah Valley (6-2), Nebraska-Omaha (3-0), Binghamton (8-6 (8)), and Montana (8-2), while its lone loss was against Iowa State (2-1 (8)). Senior April Brown and freshman Kellie White each pitched two complete games to earn the four wins on the weekend, while sophomore Katie Schroeder made the start against Binghamton. On the weekend, the three allowed 33 hits and 12 runs, while posting a 2.14 ERA. The USU pitchers threw 16 strikeouts, led by nine from White, while allowing 16 walks. At the plate, senior infielder Victoria Saucedo led the Aggies, as she batted .706 (12-of-17) on the weekend, including three home runs and eight RBIs. Sophomore first baseman Bailee Trapp and junior catcher Brina Buttacavoli were tops defensively with 17 putouts apiece.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Fri.-Sat., March 10-11 --- at South Dakota State Invite, Las Vegas, Nev., All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season on Friday, March 10, at the South Dakota State-hosted Jackrabbit Invitational, held in Las Vegas, Nev.
T-7th/15 --- at Long Beach State Invitational
• Utah State’s men’s golf team carded a final round of 21-over 301 to finish tied for seventh-place with a 36-over 876 (286-289-301) at the Long Beach State-hosted Del Walker Intercollegiate last week. Boise State won the tournament with a 15-over 855 (285-286-284) and the Broncos Brian Humphreys took medalist honors with a 1-under 209 (70-68-71). For Utah State, its seventh-place showing marks the seventh time in seven events this year that is has finished a tournament in the top 10. USU freshman Chase Lansford shot a final round 3-over 73 to tie for 12th with a 5-over 215 (70-72-73), which is his third top-20 finish of the season. Junior Braxton Miller tied for 17th place at 7-over 217 (71-72-74), while senior Tanner Jenson tied for 42nd at 13-over 223 (73-72-78). Freshman Hayden Eckert tied for 48th at 14-over 224 (73-75-76) and senior Eli Rogers tied for 51st at 15-over 225 (72-73-80). For Miller, it is his second top 20 finish of the season and the sixth of his career.
USU Soccer Opens Conference...
Utah State soccer battled through 105 minutes of action Friday, as it fell to San José State...09/22/2017
Aggie Softball Hosting USU ...
Utah State softball is set to open its fall scrimmage season this weekend, as it hosts USU...09/22/2017
Utah State Continues...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball will continue its Mountain West-opening homestand, hosting...09/22/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis started its fall tournament schedule with a doubles victory on Thursday...09/21/2017
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear