LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 7, 2016
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
2016 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
Wed., March 9 --- vs. Wyoming, Noon (MT) (MW Network)
Thur., March 10 --- vs. San Diego State, 1 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
Fri., March 11 --- vs. TBA, Semifinals, 7 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
Sat., March 12 --- vs. TBA, Championship, 4 p.m. (MT) (CBS)
• Utah State men’s basketball (15-14, 7-11) is the ninth-seed in the upcoming Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., and will play eighth-seeded Wyoming (14-17, 7-11) in a first round game on Wednesday, March 9 at Noon (MT). The game will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network. If USU advances to the quarterfinals it will play top-seeded San Diego State (23-8, 16-2) on Thursday, March 10 at 1 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the semifinals it will play at 7 p.m. (MT) on Friday, March 11 on CBS Sports Network, while the championship game will be on Saturday, March 12 at 4 p.m. (MT) on CBS. USU is 25-48 all-time against the Cowboys, including a 1-3 record on neutral courts. UW defeated USU in Laramie,84-65, in the only meeting between the two teams this season.
W, 78-65 --- at Air Force
L, 85-86 --- FRESNO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 78-65 road win at Air Force and an 86-85 home loss to Fresno State. Against the Falcons, junior wing Jalen Moore scored a career-high 23 points, while senior guard Chris Smith also had 23 points and sophomore guard Julion Pearre added 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 50.0 percent (30-of-60), including 41.2 percent (14-of-34) from 3-point range and 80.0 percent (4-of-5) at the free throw line. AFA shot 48.2 percent (27-of-56), including 26.9 percent (7-of-26) from behind the arc and 50.0 percent (4-of-8) at the charity stripe. Against the Bulldogs, Moore had 22 points, Smith scored 18 points, Pearre added 16 points and redshirt junior forward Lew Evans scored 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 45.8 percent (27-of-59), including 45.8 percent (11-of-24) from 3-point range and 74.1 percent (20-of-27) at the free throw line. FS shot 50.8 percent (31-of-61), including 28.6 percent (6-of-21) from behind the arc and 66.7 percent (18-of-27) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Tues., March 8 --- at Saint Mary’s, 3 p.m. (MT)
Mountain-Pacific Invitational, Albuquerque, N.M.
Fri., March 11 --- vs. TBD, TBA
Sat., March 12 --- vs. TBD, TBA
• Utah State men’s tennis (10-4, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week as it plays at Saint Mary’s (3-4) on Tuesday, March 8 at 3 p.m. (MT), before traveling to Albuquerque, N.M., over the weekend to compete in the Mountain-Pacific Invitational, which will be held on Friday and Saturday, March 11-12. USU will play three matches during the two-day tournament in a field that includes Grand Canyon (7-4), Hawai’i (1-8), No. 70 New Mexico (8-10), New Mexico State (2-7), #56 Pacific (6-5), San Francisco (1-9) and Santa Clara (5-4).
W, 6-1 --- at #56 Pacific
• Utah State posted a 1-0 road record last weekend with a 6-1 win at No. 56 Pacific. USU took the doubles point as junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the second position (6-3) and sophomores Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-2). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (6-4, 6-1), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (2-6, 7-5, 10-8), freshman Luis Lopez won at the No. 4 spot (7-6 (3), 6-4), freshman Samuel Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 6-4) and freshman Romai Ugarte won at the No. 6 spot (6-4, 6-4).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
2016 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
Mon., March 7 --- vs. Nevada, 5:30 p.m. (MT) (MW Network)
Tues., March 8 --- vs. Fresno State, 7 p.m. (MT) (MWN)
Wed., March 9 --- vs. TBA, Semifinals, 10 p.m. (MT) (MWN)
Fri., March 11 --- vs. TBA, Championship, 1 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
• Utah State women’s basketball (13-16, 8-10) is the seventh-seed in the upcoming Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., and will play 10th-seeded Nevada (5-24, 4-14) in a first round game on Monday, March 7 at 5:30 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the quarterfinals it would play second-seeded Fresno State (19-10, 15-3) on Tuesday, March 8 at 7 p.m. (MT). If USU advances to the semifinals it will play at 10 p.m. (MT) on Wednesday, March 9, while the championship game will be on Friday, March 11 at 1 p.m. (MT). Every game during the first three days of the women’s tournament will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network, while the championship game will be televised live on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 13-11 all-time against the Wolf Pack, including a 2-0 record this year.
W, 64-40 --- AIR FORCE
L, 62-66 --- at Fresno State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 64-40 home win against Air Force and a 66-62 road loss at Fresno State. Against the Falcons, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu scored 20 points and freshman guard Rachel Brewster added 14 points, while senior forward Tijana Djukic grabbed 13 rebounds. USU finished the game shooting 44.6 percent (25-of-56), including 22.2 percent (2-of-9) from 3-point range and 63.2 percent (12-of-19) at the free throw line. AFA shot 20.3 percent (12-of-59), including 26.3 percent (5-of-19) from behind the arc and 78.6 percent (11-of-14) at the charity stripe. Against the Bulldogs, freshman guard Katie Toole had 21 points, Brewster scored 12 points, and sophomore center Hannah Hutchins added 10 points. USU finished the game shooting 40.0 percent (24-of-60), including 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from 3-point range and was a perfect 8-of-8 at the free throw line. FS shot 49.0 percent (24-of-49), including 45.5 percent (5-of-11) from behind the arc and 61.9 percent (13-of-21) at the charity stripe.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., March 28-29 --- at UC Irvine Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its 2016 spring season on Monday and Tuesday, March 28-29 when it competes in the UC Irvine Invitational.
7th/12 --- at Southern Utah Invitational
• Utah State shot a 3-over 291 during the final round of the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Invitational to finish the 36-hole tournament in seventh place with a 14-over 590 (299-291). Senior Seokwon Jeon shot a 2-over 74 in the final round to finish tied for fourth individually at 4-under 140 (66-74). Junior McCoy Willey posted a final round 4-under 68 to finish in a tie for 13th place at 1-over 145 (77-68). Junior Tanner Jenson finished tied for 28th at 5-over 149 (76-73), junior Eli Rogers tied for 55th at 12-over 156 (80-76) and freshman Keifer Higham placed 61st at 14-over 158 (81-77).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Mon., March 7 --- vs. CS Fullerton, Los Angeles, Calif., 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Wed., March 9 --- at Loyola Marymount, 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Thur., March 10 --- at Concordia, 10 a.m. (MT)
Thur., March 10 --- vs. UC Riverside, Los Angeles, Calif., 4 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State women’s tennis (4-6, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with four matches in Los Angeles, Calif., as it plays CS Fullerton (9-1) on Monday, March 7 at 2:30 p.m. (MT), at Loyola Marymount (3-4) on Wednesday, March 9 at 2:30 p.m. (MT), at Concordia (3-6) on Thursday, March 10 at 10 a.m. (MT), and against UC Riverside (3-8) on Thursday, March 10 at 4 p.m. (MT).
L, 1-6 --- vs. Idaho, Pullman, Wash.
L, 1-6 --- at #66 Washington State
W, 4-0 --- vs. Lewis-Clark State, Pullman, Wash.
• Utah State posted a 1-2 record last week in Pullman, Wash., with a 6-1 loss to Idaho, a 6-0 loss at No. 66 Washington State and a 4-0 win against Lewis-Clark State. Against the Vandals, junior Nini Guensler won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-3). Against Lewis-Clark State, USU took the doubles point as juniors Ekaterina Tugarinova and Lexi Turley won at the first position (6-2) and Guensler and sophomore Meghan Lyall won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-0), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-1, 6-1), sophomore Sabrina Demerath won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-0) and sophomore Maggie O’Meara won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-2). Also competing was freshmen Jenna Kane and Monika Van de Vondel.
INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., March 11-12 --- at NCAA Champs., Birmingham, Ala., All Day
• Utah State’s indoor track & field teams will conclude its 2016 season this weekend as senior Parker Bluth (200m) and sophomore Dillon Maggard (mile) compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday and Saturday, March 11-12.
M: 2nd/6; W: 9th/11 --- at Mountain West Indoor Championships
• Utah State’s men’s indoor track & field team finished runner-up to Air Force at the 2016 Mountain West Indoor Championships, held two weekends ago in Albuquerque, N.M. Three Aggies were crowned MW champions in their respective events, while the 4x400m relay team also captured first place, as USU totaled 141 points. Senior Parker Bluth teamed up with junior AJ Boully and sophomores Brady Martin and Clay Lambourne to cross the finish line in 3:09.48, the third-fastest time in school history in the 4x400m. The time was also the second fastest in MW Indoor Championships history and third best all-time in the conference. Unfortunately for the Aggies, the Falcons finished second in the event with a time of 3:11.78 to win the team title with 142 points. Martin set both a meet- and school record time of 46.26 in winning the men’s 400m title. His time is also the second-fastest in MW history. In the men’s 200m, Bluth won with a time of 20.79. Bluth also placed second in the 60m with a personal-record time of 6.71, which ranks tied for second in school history. Clay Lambourne repeated as the men’s 800m champion, crossing the line with a meet- and personal-record time of 1:49.22. On the women’s side, the Aggies finished ninth with 33 points. Senior Maci Bingham capped her indoor career by garnering first-team all-MW honors by placing second in both the shot put (15.38m/50-5.50) and the weight throw (19.09m/62-7.75), marks that both rank second all-time in school history. Sophomore Olivia Moriconi joined Bingham on the podium and also garnered first-team all-MW honors as she placed third in the shot put with a throw of 14.82m (48-07.50). Other Aggies to earn first-team all-conference accolades included sophomore Dillon Maggard, who placed second in the mile (4:10.82), junior Jason Allred, who placed third in the pole vault (5.01m/16-05.25), and Boully, who took second in the 400m (personal-best 46.95) and third in the 60m hurdles (personal-best 7.96). Maggard also placed fifth in the 3,000m with a personal-best time of 8:24.49, which ranks 10th all-time in school history. USU had several other athletes finish in the top-five in their respective events. Senior Cole Lambourne finished fourth in the men’s 400m (47.29) and fifth in the 200m (21.47), while senior Kaitlyn Wilcox placed fifth in the women’s 400m (personal-best 54.84). In the men’s 800m, sophomore Jordan Beutler (1:52.02) and senior Brett McAdams (1:52.29) finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
at UNLV Tournament
Fri., March 11 --- vs. DePaul, 10 a.m. (MT)
Fri., March 11 --- vs. Valparaiso, 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., March 12 --- vs. DePaul, 10 a.m. (MT)
Sat., March 12 --- vs. Santa Clara, 2:30 p.m. (MT)
Sun., March 13 --- vs. Wisconsin, 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s softball team (6-8, 0-0) continues its 2016 season this weekend at the UNLV-hosted Rebel Classic. USU will begin the tournament against DePaul (3-12) and Valparaiso (1-12) on Friday, March 11 at 10 a.m. (MT) and 2:30 p.m. (MT), respectively. USU will then play DePaul and Santa Clara (5-13) on Saturday, March 12 at 10 a.m. (MT) and 2:30 p.m. (MT), respectively, and will conclude the tournament on Sunday, March 13 against Wisconsin (9-9) at 10 a.m. (MT).
at UC Riverside Tournament
L, 1-4 --- at UC Riverside
L, 2-7 --- vs. Santa Clara
W, 5-1 --- vs. Santa Clara
Cancelled --- at UC Riverside
• Utah State posted a 1-2 record at the UC Riverside-hosted Highlander Classic last weekend. The Aggies opened the weekend with a 4-1 loss to UC Riverside, followed by a 7-2 loss to Santa Clara. Despite having one game rained out the next day, USU topped Santa Clara, 5-1, to close the tournament. Four USU pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined earned run average of 3.85. The four allowed 19 total hits and 12 runs, while striking out 16 batters and walking five. Freshman Katie Schroeder led the pitching staff with a 1-0 record and a 1.00 ERA, pitching a complete game in the win over Santa Clara. At the plate, sophomore outfielder Jazmin Clarke led the Aggies, batting .500 on the weekend with three hits. Clarke, along with senior catcher Kirstyn Namba and junior second baseman Kylie-Rose Dickson, each led the team with two runs scored. Defensively, senior first baseman Libby Pederson was tops with 17 putouts, while junior shortstop Sarina Jaramillo added 12 assists on the weekend.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., March 11 --- at #9 Arkansas, 6 p.m. (MT)
Sun., March 13 --- at Illinois-Chicago, 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State gymnastics (6-7, 3-2 MRGC) continues its 2016 season this weekend with two road meets at No. 9 Arkansas (6-5) on Friday, March 11 at 6 p.m. (MT), and at Illinois-Chicago (5-7) on Sunday, March 13 at 1 p.m. (MT).
1st, 196.025 --- BYU / NEW HAMPSHIRE
L, 195.750-197.350 --- at #15 Nebraska
• Utah State posted a 2-1 record last week as it won its own tri-meet with a season-high score of 196.025 against BYU (195.550) and New Hampshire (193.825), followed by a 197.350-195.750 loss at No. 15 Nebraska. In the tri-meet, USU scored a 48.775 on vault, a 49.250 on bars, a season-high 49.075 on beam and a 48.925 on floor. Junior Bailey McIntire led USU as she won the all-around with a career-high 39.400, which is tied for ninth all-time in school history. McIntire tied for first on bars with a career-high 9.900, finished secon on floor with a career-high 9.900, tied for fourth on beam with a 9.825 and tied for fifth on vault with a 9.775. Other top three finishers for USU included freshman Natalie Rainbolt, who tied for second on beam (9.850), senior McKinzey Martinez who placed third on bars (9.875) and senior Michelle Yasukochi won tied for third on vault (9.800). At Nebraska, USU posted a season-high road score in a 197.350-195.750 loss as USU recorded a 48.700 on vault, a 49.200 on bars, a 49.975 on beam and a 48.875 on floor. McIntire once again led USU as she finished third in the all-around with a 39.200. For the second time in as many meets, McIntire recorded a 9.900 on bars to match her career high and finish in third place, while sophomore Melanie Oster had a career-best score of 9.875 to tie for fourth. On vault, senior Jillian Chappel led USU with a career-high 9.900 to finish second, while junior Katie Brown tied for sixth with a 9.775. On floor, McIntire tied for third with a 9.875, while junior Hayley Sanzotti tied for sixth with a 9.800. And on beam, Sanzotti recorded a 9.875 to tie for first, while freshman Emily Briones tied for fifth with a 9.825, and sophomore Keri Peel had a career-best score of 9.800 to tie for seventh, along with McIntire.
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear