LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 13, 2017
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., March 18 --- MRGC CHAMPIONSHIPS, 6 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (7-10, 2-4 MRGC), ranked 23rd nationally, continues its 2017 season this weekend by hosting the Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Championships on Saturday, March 18, at 6 p.m. Joining the Aggies for the quad meet will be No. 11 Boise State, No. 19 Southern Utah and BYU.
L, 194.600-195.675 --- #21 SOUTHERN UTAH
• A trio of Utah State gymnasts tied for first on the uneven bars to help the Aggies record the seventh-best bars team score in school history with a 49.275 last weekend in its 195.675-194.600 Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference home loss to 21st-ranked Southern Utah. In all, USU scored a 48.775 on vault, a 49.275 on bars, a 47.525 on beam and a 49.025 on floor. Sophomore Madison Ward was one of the trio of Aggies to tie for first on bars with a personal-best score of 9.875, along with junior Melanie Oster and freshman Brittany Jeppesen, who also matched their career highs. Senior Katie Brown tied for fourth on vault with a 9.800, while freshman Elle Golison took sixth with a 9.775. On beam, Golison took third with a 9.825, while Peel finished fifth with a 9.725. Ward’s 9.875 led the way on floor as she tied for first, while Peel, senior Bailey McIntire and Golison all had a 9.800 to tie for seventh. McIntire also placed second in the all-around with a 38.300.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., March 17 --- PACIFIC, 11 a.m.
Sun., March 19 --- IDAHO, 2 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (10-7, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this weekend with a pair of home matches as it hosts Pacific (7-7) on Friday, March 17, at 11 a.m. and Idaho (7-2) on Sunday, March 19, at 2 p.m. All home matches are streamed live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
L, 3-4 --- at #45 Cal Poly
W, 4-0 --- at Loyola Marymount
W, 4-0 --- vs. Georgetown, Los Angeles, Calif.
• Utah State men’s tennis went 2-1 during its week in California with a 4-3 loss at No. 45 Cal Poly, followed by 4-0 wins at Loyola Marymount and against Georgetown. Against the Mustangs, the Aggies lost the doubles point. In singles, junior Jaime Barajas won at the No. 3 spot (7-5, 7-5), sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 6-4) and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 0-6, 6-3). Against the Lions, USU took the doubles point as Maier and senior Jack Swindells won at the second position (7-5) and Barajas and junior Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-4). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 6-1), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-3) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 7-6 (6)). Against the Bulldogs, the teams started with singles and junior Kai Wehnelt won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-2), Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (6-1, 6-4), freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-3) and Nakajima won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 7-6).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
2017 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
W, 46-40 --- vs. #11 Air Force
L, 43-68 --- vs. #3 UNLV
• Utah State (17-14, 9-9 MW) advanced to the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Championships last week as the sixth-seeded Aggies opened the tournament with a 46-40 win against No. 11 Air Force, before falling to No. 3 UNLV, 68-43. Against the Falcons, sophomore guard Rachel Brewster led USU with 14 points, while freshman forward Shannon Dufficy and senior forward Antoina Robinson led the team with eight rebounds apiece, a season-high for Robinson. Overall, USU shot 34.0 percent (18-of-53) from the field, including 8.3 percent (1-of-12) from the 3-point line, and was 84.3 percent (9-of-14) from the free throw line. AFA shot 22.7 percent (10-of-44) from the field, 33.3 percent (4-of-12) from behind the arc and 72.7 percent (16-of-22) from the free throw line. Against the Lady Rebels, Brewster led the Aggies with 11 points and Dufficy tallied 10 points. Robinson was the leading rebounder for USU with seven. On the night, USU shot 34.0 percent (17-of-50) from the field, including 25.0 percent (3-of-12) from the 3-point line, and was 54.5 percent (6-of-11) from the free throw line. UNLV shot 46.3 percent (25-of-54) from the field, 45.5 percent (10-of-22) from behind the arc and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., March 24 --- at BYU, 12 p.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (9-5, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season next week with a single match at BYU (3-7) on Friday, March 24, at Noon.
W, 5-2 --- vs. Seton Hall, Los Angeles, Calif.
L, 3-4 --- vs. Georgetown, Los Angeles, Calif.
• Utah State split its two matches in Los Angeles, Calif., last week with a 5-2 win against Seton Hall and a 4-3 loss against Georgetown. Against the Pirates, the Aggies lost the doubles point, but senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the second position (7-6). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-2), freshman Lucy Octave won at the No. 3 spot (6-7, 7-6, 6-2), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-3), freshman Hannah Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-7, 6-2, 6-1) and freshman Sophia Haleas won at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 6-4). Against the Bulldogs, the teams started with singles and Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 5-7, 6-4), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-0, 6-1) and Jones won at the No. 5 spot (2-6, 6-2, 6-1). The Bulldogs took the doubles point to clinch the match.
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., March 17-18 --- at UC Irvine Invite, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will begin its 2017 season this weekend at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Collegiate Classic on Friday and Saturday, March 17-18.
NTS --- at NCAA Championships, College Station, Texas
• Utah State junior Dillon Maggard garnered second-team All-American honors last weekend at the NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships in College Station, Texas. Maggard claimed the fourth All-American honor of his career, and second indoor honor, by placing 13th in the men’s mile, topping his own record with a time of 4:01.25. Maggard did not qualify for the finals, but secured second-team All-American accolades by finishing in the top-16 overall. Maggard joins elite company, as he is now the fifth men’s track & field athlete in school history to earn All-American honors four times.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., March 17 --- UNLV, 3 p.m.
Sat., March 18 --- UNLV, 3 p.m.
Sun., March 19 --- UNLV, Noon
• Utah State’s softball team (16-5, 0-0 MW) opens the home and Mountain West portions of its season this weekend, as it hosts UNLV (16-8, 0-0 MW). The Aggies and Rebels will play a three-game series, beginning Friday, March 17, at 3 p.m. The weekend will continue in a 3 p.m. game on Saturday, March 18, followed by a Noon meeting on Sunday, March 19. All three games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos.
at Beehive Classic, Cedar City, Utah
W, 12-1 (6) --- at Southern Utah
W, 13-4 (5) --- vs. Wagner
W, 7-5 --- vs. Bradley
W, 14-5 --- vs. Wagner
L, 0-4 --- vs. Bradley
• Utah State posted a 4-1 record at the Southern Utah-hosted Beehive Classic last weekend, as the Aggies recorded wins against Southern Utah (12-1 (6)) and Wagner (13-4 (5), 14-5), while splitting a pair of games against Bradley (7-5, 0-4). Utah State utilized four pitchers on the weekend, where senior April Brown led the team with a 2-0 record. Together, the four posted a 3.39 ERA with 16 strikeouts and 11 walks. At the plate, junior outfielder Jazmin Clarke led the Aggies, batting .600 (12-of-20). On the weekend, the team combined for 29 extra-base hits, with 16 doubles, six triples and seven home runs. Senior first baseman Paxton Provost was tops defensively with 23 putouts.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., April 10-11 --- at Wyoming Invite, Scottsdale, Ariz., All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season on Monday, April 10, in Scottsdale, Ariz., at the Wyoming-hosted Cowboy Classic.
7th/12 --- at South Dakota State Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev.
• Utah State senior golfer Tanner Jenson shot a final round 6-under 66 to finish tied for eighth with an 8-under 208 (73-69-66) at the South Dakota State-hosted Jackrabbit Invitational, held in Las Vegas, Nev. USU finished the 12-team tournament in seventh place with a 7-under 857 (293-276-288). Nevada won the tournament with a 41-under 823 (277-266-280), while UNLV’s Justin Kim took medalist honors with a 13-under 203 (67-68-68). For Utah State, its seventh-place finish marks the eighth time in eight events this year it is has finished in the top 10. After beginning the tournament with a 1-over 73, Jenson carded back-to-back rounds in the 60s, including a 3-under 69 during his second round on Friday and a season-best 6-under 66 during his final 18 holes on Saturday for his best 54-hole score of the season of 8-under 208. For Jenson, he now has four rounds in the 60s this season and 11 in his career, and eight rounds under par this year and 22 in his career. It is also his fourth tournament finish under par this season and the ninth of his career, not to mention his third top-10 finish of the season and the seventh of his career. Others competing at the Jackrabbit Invitational for Utah State included freshman Hayden Eckert, who tied for 25th place at 1-under 215 (72-71-72). For Eckert, his second round of 1-under 71 was his fifth round under par this season, while his 1-under 215 marked the first under par finish of his career. Utah State junior Braxton Miller finished the tournament tied for 27th at even par 216 (73-68-75), highlighted by his 4-under 68 during his second round, giving him four rounds under par this year and 15 in his career. USU senior Eli Rogers finished tied for 33rd at 2-over 218 (75-68-75), which included a season-best 4-under 68 during his second round, giving him four rounds this year and 11 in his career under par. Rounding out the Aggie competitors is freshman Chase Lansford, who finished 57th at 11-over 227 (75-73-79).
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
2017 Mountain West Tournament, Las Vegas, Nev.
W, 90-64 --- vs. #9 San José State
L, 69-83 --- vs. #1 Nevada
• Utah State (14-17, 7-11 MW) split games at the Mountain West Championships last week, posting a 90-64 victory over San José State in the first round, followed by an 83-69 loss to Nevada in the quarterfinals. Against the Spartans, freshman guard Koby McEwen scored a freshman postseason record 27 points as the Aggies shot 55.9 percent (33-of-59) from the floor, 58.8 percent (10-of-17) from behind the 3-point line and 70.0 percent (14-of-20) at the free throw line. SJSU finished the game shooting 35.3 percent (18-of-51) from the floor, 36.8 percent (7-of-19) from behind the 3-point line and 77.7 percent (21-of-27) at the free throw line. Against the Wolf Pack, senior wing Jalen Moore scored a career-high 27 points as USU shot 40.0 percent (22-of-55) from the floor, 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from behind the 3-point line and 70.8 percent (17-of-24) at the free throw line. Nevada finished the game shooting 49.2 percent (30-of-61) from the floor, 34.8 percent (8-of-23) from behind the 3-point line and 88.2 percent (15-of-17) at the free throw line.
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Utah State to Host San...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball will host San Diego State on Kirby Court at the Wayne Estes...09/20/2017
USU Women's Cross Country...
In the latest U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) regional poll...09/18/2017
Transcript: Utah State...
Utah State head football coach Matt Wells, along with junior wide receiver Ron’quavion...09/18/2017
Tasia Taylor Named Mountain...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State junior libero Tasia Taylor has been named the Mountain West Defensive...09/18/2017
Utah State Athletics...
Utah State Athletics will offer a season ticket package for the 2017-18 women's basketball season.09/18/2017
Aggies in the NFL - Week 2
Twelve former Aggies are on active NFL rosters. See how they did in week two.09/18/2017
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's fall sports continue this week with football, soccer, women's tennis and volleyball ...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear