LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 20, 2017
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., April 1 --- at NCAA Regionals, TBA, TBA
• Utah State gymnastics (9-11, 2-4 MRGC), ranked 24th nationally, continues its 2017 season next weekend as it competes in one of six NCAA Regional Championships at a site to be determined. USU has qualified for regionals as a team in each of the past four seasons.
2nd, 196.100 --- MOUNTAIN RIM CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Senior Hayley Sanzotti and sophomore Madison Ward each collected an individual event title to help No. 24 Utah State take second place in the 2017 Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Championships last weekend with a 196.100. Boise State captured its third consecutive MRGC championship with a 197.050, while Southern Utah placed third with a 196.075 and BYU finished fourth with a 194.675. Utah State’s 196.100 was its third-highest total of the season. Furthermore, it was the best score the Aggies have ever produced in a conference championship meet, the fifth-best home score in school history and the ninth-best team score overall. The second-place finish was USU’s best placing at a conference championship meet since 2005, when the Aggies captured the WAC crown. Ward earned first-team all-MRGC honors on both floor and vault as she tied for first on floor with a career-high-tying 9.900 and tied for third on vault with a 9.800. Sanzotti also captured an event title as she tied for first on beam with a career-high-tying 9.900 to earn first-team all-MRGC honors. Senior Keri Peel tied for third on bars with a career-high-tying 9.875 to earn first-team honors. Freshmen MaKayla Bullitt and Elle Golison both earned first-team honors on the vault as they tied for third with 9.800s, and senior Bailey McIntire earned second-team all-MRGC honors as she tied for sixth on beam with a 9.850. USU scored a 49.000 on bars, a 49.125 on beam, a 49.025 on floor and a 48.950 on vault.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., March 24 --- at BYU, 12 p.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (9-5, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this week with a single match at BYU (3-8) on Friday, March 24, at Noon.
W, 5-2 --- vs. Seton Hall, Los Angeles, Calif.
L, 3-4 --- vs. Georgetown, Los Angeles, Calif.
• Utah State split its two matches in Los Angeles, Calif., two weeks ago with a 5-2 win against Seton Hall and a 4-3 loss against Georgetown. Against the Pirates, the Aggies lost the doubles point, but senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the second position (7-6). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 6-2), freshman Lucy Octave won at the No. 3 spot (6-7, 7-6, 6-2), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-3), freshman Hannah Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-7, 6-2, 6-1) and freshman Sophia Haleas won at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 6-4). Against the Bulldogs, the teams started with singles and Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 5-7, 6-4), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-0, 6-1) and Jones won at the No. 5 spot (2-6, 6-2, 6-1). The Bulldogs took the doubles point to clinch the match.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., March 22 - UTAH VALLEY (DH) , 1 p.m.
Fri., March 24 --- at Nevada, 5 p.m. (MT)
Sat., March 25 --- at Nevada, 2 p.m. (MT)
Sun., March 26 --- at Nevada, 12 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s softball team (18-6, 2-1 MW) continues its 2017 season this week with five games. USU begins the week at home with a doubleheader against Utah Valley (7-10) on Wednesday, March 22, beginning at 1 p.m. USU will then play at Nevada (15-12, 1-2 MW) in a three-game Mountain West series over the weekend. The two teams will begin the series on Friday, March 24 at 5 p.m. (MT), followed by single games on Saturday and Sunday, March 25-26, at 2 p.m. and 12 p.m. (MT), respectively. All three conference games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network, while all USU home games are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos.
W, 10-2 (5) --- UNLV
W, 6-2 --- UNLV
L, 5-8 --- UNLV
• Utah State posted a 2-1 Mountain West home record last weekend against UNLV as it won the first two games of the series 10-2 (5) and 6-2, before dropping the series finale, 8-5. Three pitchers saw time in the circle on the weekend with freshman Kellie White and senior April Brown each earning a win. Together, the three posted a 3.32 ERA, while allowing 21 hits and 12 runs. The trio tallied 11 strikeouts and walked three batters. Offensively, the Aggies were led by senior first baseman Paxton Provost and junior catcher Brina Buttacavoli, who each batted .556 (5-of-9). Provost was also tops defensively with 20 putouts in the series.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., March 25 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 1:30 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (12-7, 0-0 MW), ranked 49th nationally, continues its 2017 season this weekend with a Mountain West home match against San Diego State (5-10, 1-0 MW) on Saturday, March 25, at 1:30 p.m. All home matches are streamed live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
W, 4-0 --- PACIFIC
W, 7-0 --- IDAHO
• Utah State won both of its home matches last week with a 4-0 win against Pacific and a 7-0 win against Idaho. Against the Tigers, USU took the doubles point as junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the first position (6-3) and juniors Andrew Nakajima and Jaime Barajas won at the third position (6-3). In singles, Wehnelt won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-4), Barajas won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-3) and senior Jack Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-1). Against the Vandals, USU won the doubles point as Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the first position (6-1), while Barajas and Nakajima won at the second position (6-4). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (6-4, 6-7 (7), 10-6), Swindells won at the No. 2 spot (6-2, 6-2), Serrano won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-0), freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-4), Maier won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 6-2) and Nakajima won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-0).
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sat., March 29-1 --- at Texas Relays, All Day
Fri.-Sat., March 31-April 1 --- at Stanford Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its 2017 season next weekend at a pair of meets as it competes in the Nike Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays from Wednesday through Saturday, March 29-April 1, and at the Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, March 31-April 1.
NTS --- at UC Irvine Invite
• Utah State’s track & field teams surged into the 2017 outdoor season last weekend by capturing 11 event titles and breaking the men’s javelin record at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break Collegiate Classic. Redshirt freshman Sindri Gudmundsson set the first Aggie record of the outdoor season in his first collegiate competition, winning the men’s javelin with a mark of 72.24m (237-00). Gudmundsson’s mark breaks the previous record of 71.98m set by Neil Warr in 2003. Gudmundsson’s senior teammate and returning Mountain West champion, Devin Wright, placed second in the javelin with a personal-best mark of 64.78m (212-6.25), which ranks fifth all-time in school history. Junior David Hirschmann won the discus with a mark of 52.77m (173-1.50) and placed second in the shot put with a distance of 17.07m (56-0). Senior AJ Boully won the 400m hurdles with a time of 51.19, while turning in a time of 14.56 in the 100m hurdles, placing him second in that event. Freshman Luke Beattie led the men in the 5,000m with a victory and a time 14:23.07. As for the Aggie women, senior Mia Estes won the javelin with a mark of 47.93m (157-03). In the women’s running events, Christine Van Brocklin-Parker earned a victory in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:01.11, while senior Tori Parkinson won the 5,000m with a time of 17:18.76. In other women’s throwing action, junior Olivia Moriconi captured gold in the shot put with a distance of 15.27m (50-1), moving her to fifth all-time in USU history. Additionally, sophomore Brenn Flint finished runner-up in the shot put with a mark of 14.83m (48-7.75). And sophomore Jennifer Christensen won the high jump with a leap of 1.65m (5-4.75).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
2017 Women’s Basketball Invitational
L, 57-64 --- at Idaho
• Utah State (17-15, 9-9 MW) concluded its season last week with a 64-57 road loss at Idaho in the first round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational, its first postseason appearance since the 2012-13 season. Freshman guard Olivia West led the Aggies with 15 points and a career-high five assists, while freshman forward Shannon Dufficy logged her fifth double-double of the season with 12 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. Overall, USU shot 36.4 percent (24-of-66) from the field, including 29.2 percent (7-of-24) from the 3-point line, and was 33.3 percent (2-of-6) from the free throw line. Idaho shot 35.2 percent (19-of-54) from the field, 37.5 percent (12-of-32) from behind the arc and 87.5 percent (14-of-16) from the free throw line.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., April 10-11 --- at Wyoming Invite, Scottsdale, Ariz., All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season on Monday, April 10, in Scottsdale, Ariz., at the Wyoming-hosted Cowboy Classic.
7th/12 --- at South Dakota State Invitational, Las Vegas, Nev.
• Utah State senior golfer Tanner Jenson shot a final round 6-under 66 to finish tied for eighth with an 8-under 208 (73-69-66) at the South Dakota State-hosted Jackrabbit Invitational, held in Las Vegas, Nev., on March 10-11. USU finished the 12-team tournament in seventh place with a 7-under 857 (293-276-288). Nevada won the tournament with a 41-under 823 (277-266-280), while UNLV’s Justin Kim took medalist honors with a 13-under 203 (67-68-68). For Utah State, its seventh-place finish marks the eighth time in eight events this year it is has finished in the top 10. After beginning the tournament with a 1-over 73, Jenson carded back-to-back rounds in the 60s, including a 3-under 69 during his second round on Friday and a season-best 6-under 66 during his final 18 holes on Saturday for his best 54-hole score of the season of 8-under 208. For Jenson, he now has four rounds in the 60s this season and 11 in his career, and eight rounds under par this year and 22 in his career. It is also his fourth tournament finish under par this season and the ninth of his career, not to mention his third top-10 finish of the season and the seventh of his career. Others competing at the Jackrabbit Invitational for Utah State included freshman Hayden Eckert, who tied for 25th place at 1-under 215 (72-71-72). For Eckert, his second round of 1-under 71 was his fifth round under par this season, while his 1-under 215 marked the first under par finish of his career. Utah State junior Braxton Miller finished the tournament tied for 27th at even par 216 (73-68-75), highlighted by his 4-under 68 during his second round, giving him four rounds under par this year and 15 in his career. USU senior Eli Rogers finished tied for 33rd at 2-over 218 (75-68-75), which included a season-best 4-under 68 during his second round, giving him four rounds this year and 11 in his career under par. Rounding out the Aggie competitors is freshman Chase Lansford, who finished 57th at 11-over 227 (75-73-79).
Utah State Specialists...
Utah State football held its ninth spring practice Thursday morning on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/22/2018
MEET NOTES: Utah State...
Utah State (8-9, 2-4 MRGC) hits the road this weekend as the Aggies head south to Cedar City,...03/22/2018
Utah State Football Will...
With just over two weeks left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage...03/22/2018
Aggie Softball Splits...
Playing a pair of local opponents, Utah State softball split its bill against Idaho State and...03/21/2018
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear