LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 21, 2016
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., April 2 --- at NCAA Regional Championships, TBA
• Utah State gymnastics (7-11, 3-2 MRGC) continues its 2016 season next weekend as it competes in one of six NCAA Regional Championships at a site to be determined. USU has now qualified for regionals as a team in each of the past three seasons.
4th, 195.875 --- at Mountain Rim Championships, Boise, Idaho
• Utah State scored a 195.875 and finished fourth at the 2016 Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Championships held last weekend in Boise, Idaho. Boise State won the championship with a 197.025, while Southern Utah finished second with a 196.575 and BYU placed third with a 196.150. Junior Bailey McIntire earned first-team all-MRGC honors by tying for first in the all-around with a career-high score of 39.425, which also ranks tied for sixth all-time in school history. It is also the second-highest score by an Aggie in a conference championships meet, tied for fourth all-time in MRGC Championships history and tied for the sixth-best score in MRGC history in any meet. McIntire also earned first-team all-MRGC honors on both beam and bars as she tied for second and placed third, respectively, with scores of 9.850 (career high) and 9.900 (tied career high). She also earned second-team all-league honors on vault as she tied for sixth with a 9.825. Senior Jillian Chappel earned second-team all-MRGC honors on vault, as well, as she tied for sixth with a 9.825. Junior Hayley Sanzotti also garnered second-team all-MRGC honors as she tied for fifth on beam with a 9.825. The Aggies finished third on vault (48.925), third on bars (49.025), third on beam (49.000) and fourth on floor (48.925).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Mon., March 21 --- LOYOLA MARYMOUNT, 11 a.m.
Sat., March 26 --- at #59 BYU, 10 a.m.
Sat., March 26 --- vs. Idaho, Provo, Utah, 3 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (14-5, 1-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with three matches as it hosts Loyola Marymount (5-6) on Monday, March 21 at 11 a.m. USU will then have two matches on Saturday, March 26 as it plays at BYU (13-3) at 10 a.m, followed by a match against Idaho (11-3) in Provo, Utah at 3 p.m.
W, 4-3 --- BOISE STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-0 home record last week with a 4-3 win against Boise State, its first in program history. USU won the doubles point as junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the second position (6-4) and sophomores Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (1-6, 7-5, 7-5), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-2) and freshman Samuel Serrano won at the No. 5 spot (6-2, 6-2). Also competing for USU were freshmen Luis Lopez and Romai Ugarte.
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., April 1-2 --- at Texas Relays, All Day
Fri.-Sat., April 1-2 --- at Stanford Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its 2016 season next weekend at a pair of meets as individuals will compete in both the Texas Relays and Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, April 1-2.
M: 1st/5; W: 1st/6 --- at UC Irvine Invitational
• Utah State’s track & field teams began their respective outdoor seasons off on the right foot by collecting 49 top-five finishes at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break Collegiate Invitational last weekend. Utah State’s women claimed the team title by recording 200 points, topping UC Irvine, which placed second with 191.5 points. The Aggie men also placed first with 169 points, edging out Army’s second-place tally of 162 points. In her first-ever collegiate track meet, freshman Kashley Carter set a school record in the 3,000m with a time of 9:40.52 to place second, eclipsing the previous record of 9:43.83. Maci Bingham, a senior, also had a strong opening meet by placing first in both the shot put (14.43m/47-4.25) and the hammer throw (61.63m/202-2), while taking second in the discus (49.30m/161-9). On the men’s side, junior AJ Boully placed first in the 400m hurdles with a time of 51.34, which is seventh all-time in USU history. Boully also placed second in the 110m hurdles, clocking a time of 14.42. The Aggie women swept the javelin event with junior Mia Estes (46.93m/153-11), freshman Madelyn Sirmon (46.29m/151-10) and sophomore Stephanie Crapse (44.61m/146-4) placing first, second and third, respectively. Additionally, all three javelin throwers moved up the USU top-10 rankings with Estes in third, Sirmon in fifth and Crapse coming in eighth all-time. Men’s javelin thrower, junior Devin Wright, also had a tremendous showing by winning his respective event with a heave of 62.96m (206-6). Seasoned distance runner Tori Parkinson, a junior, spurred on the Aggies with a victory in the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 10:41.92. Other event winners include, senior Jodi Williams in the high jump (1.65m (5-5), junior Colby Wilson in the 5,000m (14:34.53) and freshman Leaugen Fray in the high jump (2.05m/6-8.75).
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., March 28-29 --- at UC Irvine Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its 2016 spring season on Monday and Tuesday, March 28-29 when it competes in the UC Irvine Invitational.
7th/12 --- at Southern Utah Invitational
• Utah State shot a 3-over 291 during the final round of the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Invitational to finish the 36-hole tournament in seventh place with a 14-over 590 (299-291). Senior Seokwon Jeon shot a 2-over 74 in the final round to finish tied for fourth individually at 4-under 140 (66-74). Junior McCoy Willey posted a final round 4-under 68 to finish in a tie for 13th place at 1-over 145 (77-68). Junior Tanner Jenson finished tied for 28th at 5-over 149 (76-73), junior Eli Rogers tied for 55th at 12-over 156 (80-76) and freshman Keifer Higham placed 61st at 14-over 158 (81-77).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Thur., March 24 --- at New Mexico, 6 p.m.
Fri., March 25 --- at New Mexico, 6 p.m.
Sat., March 26 --- at New Mexico, 12 p.m.
• Utah State softball (12-11, 0-0) begins Mountain West play this weekend with a three-game series at New Mexico (15-11, 0-0). The two teams will play single games on Thursday and Friday, March 24-25 at 6 p.m., followed by the series final on Saturday, March 26 at Noon.
W, 5-2 --- at Utah Valley
L, 8-9 (8); W, 16-7 (6) --- NORTHERN COLORADO
W, 14-4 (5) --- NORTHERN COLORADO
• Utah State posted a 3-1 record last weekend as it posted a 5-2 road win at Utah Valley and then won two of three home games against Northern Colorado as it dropped the opener, 9-8 (8), before winning the final two games by scores of 16-7 (6) and 14-4 (5). Four USU pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined earned run average of 4.04. Junior April Brown and freshman Katie Schroeder both went 1-0 on the weekend, while senior Noelle Johnson posted a 1-1 record. Brown led the group with a 3.11 ERA, while the four combined to allow 35 hits and 22 runs, while striking out 21 batters and walking 10. At the plate, senior outfielder Sarah Chow led the Aggies, batting .714 on the weekend. She tallied a team-best 10 hits and eight runs, while batting in four additional runs. Armendariz started all four games at first base, totaling a team-best 20 putouts on the week.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed., March 23 --- at Weber State, 11 a.m.
Sat., March 26 --- MONTANA STATE, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (6-8, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with two matches as its plays at Weber State (5-9) on Wednesday, March 23 at 11 a.m., and then hosts Montana State (4-9) on Saturday, March 26 at 11 a.m.
L, 1-5 --- vs. CS Fullerton, Los Angeles, Calif.
L, 2-5 --- at Loyola Marymount
W, 7-0 --- at Concordia (CA)
W, 5-1 --- at UC Riverside
• Utah State posted a 2-2 road record last week with a 5-1 loss at Cal State Fullerton, a 5-2 loss at Loyola Marymount, a 7-0 win at Concordia (CA) and a 5-1 win at UC Riverside. Against the Titans, junior Nini Guensler won at the No. 2 singles spot (7-5, 1-6, 6-2) for USU’s only point as the two teams did not play any doubles matches. Against the Lions, LMU took the doubles point, but Guensler and sophomore Maggie O’Meara won at the second position, 6-0. In singles, freshman Monika Van de Vondel won at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-2) and sophomore Meghan Lyall won at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 6-3). Against Concordia (CA), USU took the doubles point as sophomore Sabrina Demerath and junior Ekaterina Tugarinova won at the first position (6-2) and O’Meara and Guensler won at the second position (6-3). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 6-1), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-0, 6-3), O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-0), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-1, 6-2), Van de Vondel won at the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-1) and freshman Jenna Kane won at the No. 6 spot (6-0, 6-2). Against the Highlanders, the teams only played singles, and Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 3-6, 6-4), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-0), O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-0, 4-6, 6-3), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-3), and Van de Vondel won at the No. 5 spot (6-1, 6-1). Also competing for the Aggies last week was junior Lexi Turley.
Utah State Specialists...
Utah State football held its ninth spring practice Thursday morning on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/22/2018
MEET NOTES: Utah State...
Utah State (8-9, 2-4 MRGC) hits the road this weekend as the Aggies head south to Cedar City,...03/22/2018
Utah State Football Will...
With just over two weeks left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage...03/22/2018
Aggie Softball Splits...
Playing a pair of local opponents, Utah State softball split its bill against Idaho State and...03/21/2018
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear