LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MARCH 28, 2016
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., April 2 --- at NCAA Regional Champs., Salt Lake City, Utah, 6 p.m.
• Utah State gymnastics (7-11, 3-2 MRGC) continues its 2016 season this weekend in Salt Lake City at one of the six NCAA Regional Championships. USU has qualified for regionals as a team for the third-straight year.
4th, 195.875 --- at Mountain Rim Championships, Boise, Idaho
• Utah State scored a 195.875 and finished fourth at the 2016 Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference Championships held last weekend in Boise, Idaho. Boise State won the championship with a 197.025, while Southern Utah finished second with a 196.575 and BYU placed third with a 196.150. Junior Bailey McIntire earned first-team all-MRGC honors by tying for first in the all-around with a career-high score of 39.425, which also ranks tied for sixth all-time in school history. It is also the second-highest score by an Aggie in a conference championships meet, tied for fourth all-time in MRGC Championships history and tied for the sixth-best score in MRGC history in any meet. McIntire also earned first-team all-MRGC honors on both beam and bars as she tied for second and placed third, respectively, with scores of 9.850 (career high) and 9.900 (tied career high). She also earned second-team all-league honors on vault as she tied for sixth with a 9.825. Senior Jillian Chappel earned second-team all-MRGC honors on vault, as well, as she tied for sixth with a 9.825. Junior Hayley Sanzotti also garnered second-team all-MRGC honors as she tied for fifth on beam with a 9.825. The Aggies finished third on vault (48.925), third on bars (49.025), third on beam (49.000) and fourth on floor (48.925).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., April 1 --- at #60 New Mexico, 7 p.m.
Sun., April 3 --- at Air Force, 10 a.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (16-6, 1-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with a pair of Mountain West road matches as it plays at No. 60 New Mexico (12-10, 1-0) on Friday, April 1 at 7 p.m., and at Air Force (4-12, 0-1) on Sunday, April 3 at 10 a.m.
L, 3-4 --- LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
W, 4-3 --- at #59 BYU
W, 4-1 --- vs. Idaho, Provo, Utah
• Utah State posted a 2-1 record last week with a 4-3 home loss to Loyola Marymount, followed by a 4-3 win at No. 59 BYU and a 4-1 win against Idaho in Provo, Utah. Against the Lions, the Aggies took the doubles point as junior Jack Swindells and freshman Jonas Maier won at the second position (7-5) and sophomores Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-4). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-2) and Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-4). Against the Cougars, USU took the doubles point as freshmen Romai Ugarte and Luis Lopez won at the first position (6-3) and Swindells and Maier won at the second position (6-4). In singles, Barajas won at the No. 1 spot (6-1, 4-6, 6-4), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-4, 7-6 (4)) and Ugarte won at the No. 6 spot (7-6 (0), 2-6, 6-3). Against the Vandals, USU again took the doubles point as Ugarte and Lopez won at the first position (7-5) and Swindells and Maier won at the second position (6-4). In singles, Maier won at the No. 2 spot (0-6, 6-0, 6-2), Swindells won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-1) and freshman Samuel Serrano won at the No. 4 spot (7-6 (7), 7-5).
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., April 1-2 --- at Texas Relays, All Day
Fri.-Sat., April 1-2 --- at Stanford Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its 2016 season this weekend at a pair of meets as individuals will compete in both the Texas Relays and Stanford Invitational on Friday and Saturday, April 1-2.
M: 1st/5; W: 1st/6 --- at UC Irvine Invitational
• Utah State’s track & field teams began their respective outdoor seasons off on the right foot by collecting 49 top-five finishes at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break Collegiate Invitational last weekend. Utah State’s women claimed the team title by recording 200 points, topping UC Irvine, which placed second with 191.5 points. The Aggie men also placed first with 169 points, edging out Army’s second-place tally of 162 points. In her first-ever collegiate track meet, freshman Kashley Carter set a school record in the 3,000m with a time of 9:40.52 to place second, eclipsing the previous record of 9:43.83. Maci Bingham, a senior, also had a strong opening meet by placing first in both the shot put (14.43m/47-4.25) and the hammer throw (61.63m/202-2), while taking second in the discus (49.30m/161-9). On the men’s side, junior AJ Boully placed first in the 400m hurdles with a time of 51.34, which is seventh all-time in USU history. Boully also placed second in the 110m hurdles, clocking a time of 14.42. The Aggie women swept the javelin event with junior Mia Estes (46.93m/153-11), freshman Madelyn Sirmon (46.29m/151-10) and sophomore Stephanie Crapse (44.61m/146-4) placing first, second and third, respectively. Additionally, all three javelin throwers moved up the USU top-10 rankings with Estes in third, Sirmon in fifth and Crapse coming in eighth all-time. Men’s javelin thrower, junior Devin Wright, also had a tremendous showing by winning his respective event with a heave of 62.96m (206-6). Seasoned distance runner Tori Parkinson, a junior, spurred on the Aggies with a victory in the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 10:41.92. Other event winners include, senior Jodi Williams in the high jump (1.65m (5-5), junior Colby Wilson in the 5,000m (14:34.53) and freshman Leaugen Fray in the high jump (2.05m/6-8.75).
Contact: Doug Hoffman- (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., March 28-29 --- at UC Irvine Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its 2016 spring season this week at the UC Irvine-hosted Anteater Invitational.
7th/12 --- at Southern Utah Invitational
• Utah State shot a 3-over 291 during the final round of the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Invitational to finish the 36-hole tournament in seventh place with a 14-over 590 (299-291). Senior Seokwon Jeon shot a 2-over 74 in the final round to finish tied for fourth individually at 4-under 140 (66-74). Junior McCoy Willey posted a final round 4-under 68 to finish in a tie for 13th place at 1-over 145 (77-68). Junior Tanner Jenson finished tied for 28th at 5-over 149 (76-73), junior Eli Rogers tied for 55th at 12-over 156 (80-76) and freshman Keifer Higham placed 61st at 14-over 158 (81-77).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Tues., March 29 --- COLORADO STATE (DH), 1 p.m.
Wed., March 30 --- COLORADO STATE, 1 p.m.
Fri., April 1 --- at UNLV, 7 p.m. (MT)
Sat., April 2 --- at UNLV, 2 p.m. (MT)
Sun., April 3 --- at UNLV, 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State softball (13-13, 1-2) continues Mountain West play this week with a pair of three-game series as it hosts Colorado State (14-12, 0-0) and plays at UNLV (18-14, 2-1). USU and CSU will play a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 29 beginning at 1 p.m., and conclude the series on Wednesday, March 30 at 1 p.m. USU and UNLV will play its first game of the series on Friday, April 1 at 7 p.m. (MT), followed by single games on Saturday and Sunday, April 2-3 at 2 p.m. and 1 p.m. (MT), respectively.
W, 7-4 --- at New Mexico
L, 6-13 --- at New Mexico
L, 0-4 --- at New Mexico
• Utah State posted a 1-2 record last weekend in the Mountain West opening series at New Mexico. The Aggies opened the weekend with a 7-4 win on Thursday before falling to the Lobos, 13-6 and 4-0 in the Friday and Saturday games. Five USU pitchers appeared in the circle over the weekend, compiling a combined earned run average of 7.74. Senior Noelle Johnson led the group with a 2.76 ERA and earned the sole win of the weekend. Combined, the USU pitching staff allowed 33 hits and 21 runs while striking out six batters and walking 21. At the plate, junior shortstop Sarina Jaramillo led the Aggies, batting .500 (5-of-10), including one double. She scored two runs and batted in one additional run. Defensively, senior first baseman Libby Pederson led the team with 19 putouts.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., April 2 --- NORTHERN ARIZONA, 11 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (8-8, 0-0) continues its 2016 spring season this week with a home match against Northern Arizona (12-6) on Saturday, April 2 at 11 a.m.
W, 6-1 --- at Weber State
W, 6-1 --- MONTANA STATE
• Utah State posted a 2-0 record last week with a 6-1 road win at Weber State and a 6-1 home win against Montana State. Against the Wildcats, USU lost the doubles point, but junior Ekaterina Tugarinova and sophomore Sabrina Demerath won at the first position (6-2). In singles, junior Nini Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-4, 3-6, 6-3), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-3, 6-4), sophomore Maggie O’Meara won at the No. 3 spot (6-2, 6-2), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-3), freshman Monika Van de Vondel won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 4-6, 6-1) and sophomore Meghan Lyall won at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 4-5, ret.). Against the Bobcats, USU won the doubles point as Van de Vondel and O’Meara won at the second position (6-2) and Guensler and junior Lexi Turley won at the third position (7-5). In singles, Guensler won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 3-6, 10-7), Tugarinova won at the No. 2 spot (6-1, 6-4), Demerath won at the No. 4 spot (6-0, 6-4), Van de Vondel won at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-0) and Lyall won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 6-1).
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear