LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - APRIL 17, 2017
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Wed., April 19 --- at Weber State, 3 p.m.
Fri., April 21 --- NEW MEXICO, 4 p.m.
Sat., April 22 --- NEW MEXICO, 4 p.m.
Sun., April 23 --- NEW MEXICO, 12 p.m.
• Utah State’s softball team (27-10, 10-4 MW) continues its 2017 season this week with four games as it plays at Weber State (24-13-1) on Wednesday, April 19, at 3 p.m., and then hosts New Mexico (19-18, 5-7 MW) in a three-game Mountain West series. The Aggies and Lobos will play single games on Friday and Saturday, April 21-22, at 4 p.m., and on Sunday, April 23, at noon. All three MW games will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos.
W, 6-2 --- at Colorado State
W, 4-0 --- at Colorado State
L, 0-3 --- at Colorado State
• Utah State posted a 2-1 Mountain West road record last week as it defeated Colorado State (W 6-2, W 4-0, L 0-3). USU utilized two pitchers on the weekend. April Brown led the pair with a 1-0 record and did not allow a single run. In all, the Aggie pitchers posted a 1.40 ERA, while striking out 14 batters and walking another 14. Junior catcher Brina Buttacavoli led the team at the plate, where she hit .444 (4-of-9). Senior first baseman Paxton Provost was tops defensively, tallying 14 putouts.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., April 22 --- at Boise State, 6 p.m.
• Utah State men’s tennis (19-8, 5-1 MW), ranked 42nd nationally, concludes its 2017 regular season this weekend with a Mountain West road match at Boise State (5-22, 1-5 MW) on Saturday, April 22 at 6 p.m. A win will give USU its second-consecutive outright regular season Mountain West championship.
W, 4-1 --- at Fresno State
W, 5-2 --- at Nevada
• Utah State recorded a 2-0 Mountain West road record last week with a 4-1 win at Fresno State and a 5-0 win at Nevada. Against the Bulldogs, USU took the doubles point as junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the first position (6-4) and juniors Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-3). In singles, senior Jack Swindells won at the No. 4 spot (6-4, 1-6, 6-3), freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-2) and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-4, 6-4). Against the Wolf Pack, USU claimed the doubles point as Wehnelt and Serrano won at the first position (6-4) and Barajas and Nakajima won at the third position (6-1). In singles, Wehnelt won at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 6-2), Barajas won at the No. 2 spot (6-4, 6-3), Bucur won at the No. 5 spot (6-2, 6-2) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (7-6, 6-1).
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sat., April 21-22 --- at Stanford Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its 2017 season this weekend at the Stanford-hosted Cardinal Classic on Friday and Saturday, April 21-22.
NTS --- at Mt. SAC (CA) Relays
NTS --- at Azusa Pacific Invite
NTS --- MARK FALDMO INVITE
• Utah State track & field saw three school records fall last weekend at the 59th annual Mt. SAC Relays. USU sophomore Cierra Simmons made Aggie history by breaking the school record in the 3,000m steeplechase as she placed 12th with a time of 10:12.52. Fellow sophomore Kashley Carter broke her own school record in the 5,000m with a time of 16:14.46 to earn a 21st-place finish. The other USU record to fall was the men’s mark in the 5,000m, as junior Dillon Maggard placed fifth with a time 13:41.17. In multi-events action at the Azusa Pacific Invite, sophomore Alyssa Hirschi placed 25th with 4,605 points, while fellow sophomore Kaylie King-Arnold and freshman Niki Xydona placed 28th and 35th with 4,548 and 4,403 points, respectively. At its own Mark Faldmo Invitational, USU won six event titles. Sophomore Brenn Flint started the Aggies off on the right track by winning the shot put with a personal-best toss of 15.61m (51-2.75). Junior Olivia Moriconi followed behind Flint with a second-place finish and a distance of 15.00m (49-2.50), while freshman Maia Garren recorded a personal-best toss of 14.51m (47-7.25) to complete the Aggie sweep in the women’s shot put. Flint and Moriconi also went back-to-back in the discus. Flint won the event with a mark of 47.46m (155-08), while Moriconi finished second with a distance of 46.79m (153-06). Furthermore, sophomore Michala Zilkey placed fourth in the hammer throw with a mark of 52.06m (170-10). On the men’s side, the throwing events were greatly impacted by the performance of junior David Hirschmann. He placed first in the shot put with a distance of 17.43m (57-2.25), while placing second in the discus with a mark of 51.54m (169-01). Senior Devin Wright won the javelin with a throw of 62.93m (206-5), while freshman Oran Wasserman placed second in the hammer throw with a distance of 55.97m (183-7). Senior AJ Boully led the charge in the men’s track events as he cruised to a 400m victory with a time of 46.61. USU’s women were paced in the track events by senior Christine Van Brocklin-Parker, who finished runner-up in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:00.85.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Fri.-Sun., April 21-23 --- at MW Championships, Tucson, Ariz., All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its 2017 spring season this weekend as it travels to Tucson, Ariz., to compete in the Mountain West Championships on Friday through Sunday, April 21-23.
T-11th/18 --- at Wyoming Classic, Chandler, Ariz.
• Utah State junior Braxton Miller and freshman Hayden Eckert both shot final rounds of 2-over 74 to finish tied for 24th place at 1-over 217 at the Wyoming-hosted Cowboy Classic held last week at the Whirlwind Golf Club in Chandler, Ariz. UC Santa Barbara won the tournament championship with a 21-under 843 (285-286-272), while the Gauchos Zach Smith took medalist honors with a 10-under 206 (71-68-67). USU finished tied for 11th place out of 18 teams with a 15-over 879 (292-293-294). Miller and Eckert both carded identical scores during each of their three rounds as both players shot 1-under 71 during their first 18 holes and both then carded even-par 72 during their second rounds, before each golfer posted a 2-over 74 during their final 18 holes. For Miller, he now has five rounds under par this season and 16 in his career, while Eckert carded his sixth round under par this season. Also competing for Utah State was senior Tanner Jenson, who tied for 51st place at 6-over 222 (75-73-74), while senior Eli Rogers tied for 69th place at 9-over 225 (75-76-74) and freshman Chase Lansford tied for 79th at 12-over 228 (78-78-72).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., April 22 --- BOISE STATE, 10 a.m.
• Utah State women’s tennis (11-10, 1-3 MW) concludes its 2017 regular season this weekend with a Mountain West home match against Boise State (12-7, 2-3 MW) on Saturday, April 22, at 10 a.m. The match will be streamed live at http://livetenniscam.com/sites/usutennis/.
L, 2-4 --- UTAH
W, 4-0 --- IDAHO
• Utah State split its non-conference home matches last week with a 4-2 loss against Utah and a 4-0 win against Idaho. Against the Utes, the Aggies took the doubles point as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath won at the second position (6-2) and junior Maggie O’Meara and sophomore Monika Van de Vondel won at the third position (7-5). In singles, Guensler won her match at the No. 1 spot (2-6, 6-4, 3-0, ret.). Against the Vandals, USU again won the doubles point as Idaho defaulted on court three and Guensler and Demerath won at the second position (6-1). In singles, the Vandals defaulted court six, and freshman Hannah Jones won at the No. 5 spot (6-1, 6-3) and Van de Vondel won at the No. 4 spot (6-2, 6-0).
Utah State Soccer Ends Road...
One early goal was all it took for Utah State to earn a road win at Fresno State Sunday afternoon.09/24/2017
Utah State Ranks First in...
The Aggies have recovered six fumbles this season, which ranks first in the Mountain West and...09/24/2017
Aggie Golfers Continue 2017...
Utah State's golf team will continue its fall schedule this week as it travels to Erie, Colo., to...09/24/2017
Utah State Opens Mountain...
Senior quarterback Kent Myers accounted for 265 yards of total offense and four touchdowns as...09/23/2017
Aggies Begin Mountain West ...09/18/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis captured titles in both singles and doubles at the Idaho State Invite...09/24/2017
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis had victories in the singles and doubles brackets on Saturday, with two...09/23/2017
Utah State Opens League...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball started its conference slate with a perfect 2-0 record for...09/23/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Lauren AndersonSport: Women's Volleyball
Class: SeniorLauren Anderson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear