LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MAY 8, 2017
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Tues., May 9 --- at #20 BYU, 6 p.m.
• Utah State’s softball team (32-15, 14-9 MW) concludes its 2017 regular season this week with a non-conference game at No. 20 BYU (40-10, 12-0 WCC) on Tuesday, May 9, at 6 p.m. The game will be streamed on TheW.tv.
L, 3-7 --- at San José State
L, 1-2 --- at San José State
L, 1-6 --- at San José State
• Utah State posted an 0-3 Mountain West road record last week at San José State (L 3-7, L 1-2, L 1-6). USU utilized three pitchers on the weekend as senior April Brown made two starts, while freshman Kellie White started once and pitched an additional 3.3 innings of relief. Sophomore Katie Schroeder also saw some time in relief in two of the weekend’s games. In all, the Aggie pitchers allowed 30 hits and 15 earned runs, while striking out eight batters and walking 11. Senior Kylie-Rose Dickson led the Aggie offense as she hit .333 (1-of-3) in her two games played on the weekend. Senior first baseman Paxton Provost was tops defensively with 20 putouts.
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sat., May 10-13 --- MOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIPS, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its season this weekend as it hosts the Mountain West Championships, which will be held from Wednesday, May 11 through Saturday, May 14, at the Ralph Maughan Track Stadium on the USU campus. The Aggie men finished second at last year’s MW Outdoor Championships, while the Aggie women placed sixth.
NTS --- at Weber State Twilight
• Utah State junior sprinter Brady Martin set a personal best in the 200-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in 21.23 seconds to capture the event title at the Weber State-hosted Twilight Meet last week. Martin, who was one of four Aggies to place first, helped Utah State record 12 top-five finishes. Senior AJ Boully took top honors in the 100m hurdles as he crossed the line in 14.26 seconds, which was a season best. Sophomore Samuel Wing won the 400m hurdles with a personal-best time of 52.38, while sophomore Sam Nelson captured the pole vault crown with a mark of 4.85m (15-11.00). On the women’s side, freshman Melanie Sullivan took second in the 200m with a personal-best time of 25.46, senior Christine Van Brocklin-Parker placed second in the 400m with a career-best 57.53 and freshman Jessica Jones took third in the triple jump with a career-best 10.36m (34-00.00).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
2017 NCAA Regional, Berkeley, Calif.
Fri., May 12 --- vs. No. 23 Northwestern, 11 a.m. (MT)
Sat., May 13 --- vs. No. 8 California / Tennessee Tech, 4 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men’s tennis team (23-8, 6-1 MW), ranked 45th nationally, will compete in the NCAA Tournament for the first time as a team this weekend at the California Regional. The Aggies will face No. 23 Northwestern (21-10) on Friday, May 12, at 11 a.m. (MT). With a win, USU would face either No. 8 California (18-7) or Tennessee Tech (13-6) on Saturday, May 13, at 4 p.m. (MT).
2017 Mountain West Championships, Boise, Idaho
W, 4-0 --- at #8 Boise State, Quarterfinals
W, 4-1 --- vs. #5 San Diego State, Semifinals
W, 4-0 --- vs. #3 UNLV, Championship
• Utah State claimed its first Mountain West tournament tennis title last week in Boise, Idaho, as it defeated eighth-seeded Boise State in the quarterfinals (4-0), fifth-seeded San Diego State in the semifinals (4-1) and third-seeded and defending champion UNLV in the championship match (4-0). Against the Broncos, USU took the doubles point as senior Jack Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the second position (6-2) and juniors Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position (6-3). In singles, junior Kai Wehnelt won at the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-3), freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 5 spot (6-3, 6-3) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 6-3). Against the Aztecs, USU lost the doubles point. In singles, sophomore Samuel Serrano won at the No. 3 spot (6-3, 6-4), Swindells won at the No. 4 spot (2-6, 6-3, 6-3), Bucur won at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-3) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-3, 6-0). In the championship match against UNLV, USU took the doubles point as Maier and Swindells won at the second position (6-4) and Barajas and Nakajima won at the third position (6-3). In singles, Swindells won at the No. 4 spot (6-3, 6-4), Bucur won at the No. 5 spot (6-0, 6-4) and Maier won at the No. 6 spot (6-2, 4-6, 6-3).
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the Mountain West Outdoor Field...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross...03/20/2018
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear