LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - MAY 15, 2017
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
2017 National Softball Invitational Championships, Ogden, Utah
Tues., May 16 --- vs. San Diego, 1 p.m.
Wed., May 17 --- vs. Boise State / Weber State, TBA
• Utah State’s softball team (32-16, 14-9 MW) continues its season this week in the first round of the National Invitational Softball Championships, hosted by Weber State. The Aggies, who are playing in the postseason for the first time since 1993, will begin the regional round of the tournament against San Diego (22-22) on Tuesday, May 16, at 1 p.m. The double-elimination tournament will continue on Wednesday, May 17, with games at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., as needed. Live stats and a video feed will be provided by Weber State.
L, 1-4 --- at #20 BYU
• Utah State wrapped up its 2017 regular season in a 4-1 loss at No. 20 BYU last week. Senior second baseman Victoria Saucedo led the Aggie offense, as she went 2-for-3 at the plate, while hitting in the team’s sole run. Senior first baseman Paxton Provost was tops defensively with six putouts. Senior April Brown made the start in the circle, but freshman Kellie White pitched four innings in relief. Together, the pair struck out three batters and walked six.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
2017 NCAA Regional, Berkeley, Calif.
L, 2-4 --- vs. No. 23 Northwestern
• Utah State’s men’s tennis team (23-9, 6-1 MW), concluded its 2017 season with a 4-2 loss to No. 23 Northwestern in the first round of the NCAA Tournament held last week in Berkeley, Calif. Against the Wildcats, USU won the doubles point as senior Jack Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier won at the first position, 7-5, while juniors Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima won at the third position, 6-2. In singles, freshman Sergiu Bucur won at the No. 5 spot in straight sets (6-3, 6-2).
During the season, the Aggies set a school record with 23 wins, tied a school record with a nine-match winning streak, played in their first ITA National Team Indoor Championship and won both the Mountain West regular season title and the tournament championship. Utah State also reached a program-high No. 39 ranking in the ITA polls, helped by defeating then-No. 12 TCU on the road.
OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sat., May 25-27 --- at NCAA Champs., Austin, Texas, All Day
• Utah State’s outdoor track & field teams will continue its season next weekend as qualifying individuals will compete in the first round of the NCAA Championships, which will be held from Thursday through Saturday, May 25-27, in Austin, Texas. USU sent 20 student-athletes to the first round of last year’s NCAA Championships.
M: 3/7; W: 8/11 --- MOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Utah State won four gold medals during the 2017 Mountain West Outdoor Track & Field Championships, held last weekend in Logan, Utah, as the Aggie men finished third with 133 points, while the Aggie women finished eighth with 42.50 points. Redshirt freshman Sindri Gudmundsson launched the javelin for a distance of 77.19m (253-3), shattering the all-time Mountain West conference record, school record and stadium record in that event. His javelin mark ranks third-best in the nation this season. Gudmundsson was not alone as senior Devin Wright placed third in the javelin with a personal-best toss of 67.84m (222-07), which also ranks third all-time in school history. Junior David Hirschmann became the first-ever Mountain West discus champion in USU history as he won the event with a personal-best mark of 53.33m (175-0). In other throwing events, sophomore Brenn Flint struck silver in the women’s shot put with a mark of 15.57m (51-1). Junior teammate Olivia Moriconi provided excellent support, finishing third in the shot put with a distance of 15.11m (49-7). The men’s shot put also went well for the Aggies, as Hirschmann placed third with a toss of 17.58m (57-8.25). Senior AJ Boully racked up the medals, with victories in the 400m hurdles (49.48) and 4x400m relay (3:05.53), while finishing runner-up in the 110m hurdles (13.91). His times in the 400m hurdles and 110m hurdles were both personal bests and rank second and third all-time in school history, respectively. Boully’s 400m hurdles time is also a Mountain West Championship record. Boully, accompanied by senior Joshua Gordon, junior Brady Martin and freshman Michael Bluth, claimed Utah State’s fourth-straight Mountain West title in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:05.53, which is both a Mountain West Championships and Ralph Maughan Track Stadium record. Another Aggie relay team to medal was the men’s 4x100m squad. The quartet of Gordon, freshman Garen Earley, sophomore Nick Ashby and freshman Junior Tovar placed third with a time of 41.18. Sophomore Samuel Wing also placed in the men’s 400m hurdles, taking third with a personal-best time of 51.35, which ranks eighth all-time in USU history. Junior Clay Lambourne earned a silver medal in a loaded field of middle-distance talent, clocking a time of 1:48.07. Junior Dillon Maggard shined in a star-studded field in the men’s 1,500m, finishing runner-up with a time of 3:47.55. Maggard also placed fifth in the 5,000m, recording a time of 15:23.10. Junior Tylee Newman-Skinner led the Aggie women’s efforts on the track, capturing third-place in the 1,500m with a time of 4:27.23.
Utah State’s Kent...
Utah State senior quarterback Kent Myers has been named to the 2017 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm...07/19/2017
Connor Garner Named to NABC...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball’s Connor Garner has been named to the...07/18/2017
Utah State Has 105 Student-...
LOGAN, Utah - The Mountain West announced its 2016-17 Scholar-Athlete Award recipients on Tuesday...07/18/2017
Space Still Available for...
Registration is still available for the Utah State-hosted Top of Utah Cross Country Camp 2017 and...07/18/2017
Utah State's Dallin Leavitt...
Utah State senior safety Dallin Leavitt has been named to the 2017 Wuerffel Trophy Watch List, it...07/18/2017
Utah State Has 81 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah - The Mountain West announced its spring all-academic teams on Monday and Utah State ...07/17/2017
Amy Smith Named Head...
Amy Smith has been named the head gymnastics coach at Utah State University, it was announced...07/17/2017
USU Softball Adds Pitching ...
Utah State softball associate head coach Windy Thees will host a spin clinic on Monday, Aug. 14, ...07/17/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: Redshirt FreshmanSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear