LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - AUGUST 29, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Thur., Sept. 1 --- WEBER STATE, 6 p.m. (CI-MWN/Twitter)
• Utah State’s football team (0-0) will begin its 2016 season this week as it hosts Weber State (0-0) on Thursday, Sept. 1 at 6 p.m. The game will not be televised, but will be streamed live on Campus Insiders and the Mountain West Network. It will also be the first-ever college football game streamed live on Twitter. USU is 13-1 all-time against the Wildcats, including an 8-1 home record.
• Utah State, who was picked to finish third in the Mountain Division of the Mountain West, welcomes back 12 starters (O-9, D-3) and 38 letterwinners (O-20, D-15, S-3) from last year’s team that finished tied for second in the Mountain Division of the Mountain West with a 5-3 record, and played in its school-record fifth-straight bowl game. Over the last four years, USU is the only program among the Group of 5 (American Athletic, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt) to record a win against an Associated Press Top 25 team each season. In 2012, USU won at No. 19 Louisiana Tech (48-41, OT). In 2013, USU defeated No. 24 Northern Illinois (21-14) in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. In 2014, USU was at No. 18 BYU (35-20). And in 2015, USU defeated No. 21 Boise State (52-26) at home.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
at Denver Tournament
Fri., Sept. 2 --- vs. Montana State, 3 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 3 --- vs. Loyola Marymount, 10 a.m.
Sat., Sept. 3 --- at Denver, 7:30 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (0-3) continues its 2016 season this week on the road at the Pioneer Invitational in Denver, Colo. USU will begin the tournament on Friday, Sept. 2 against Montana State (2-1) at 3 p.m., followed by matches against Loyola Marymount (2-1) and Denver (2-1) on Saturday, Sept. 3 at 10 a.m., and 7:30 p.m., respectively. USU is 8-3 all-time against the Bobcats, 2-1 against the Lions and 3-0 against the Pioneers.
at Oregon State Tournament
L, 2-3 --- at Oregon State
L, 0-3 --- vs. Seattle
L, 0-3 --- vs. Portland
• Utah State posted an 0-3 record last weekend at the Ultra Ankle Challenge as it lost to host Oregon State (3-2), along with losses against Seattle (3-0) and Portland (3-0). Against OSU, junior outside Lauren Anderson recorded a career-high 18 kills, while the Aggies hit .291 (66-20-158) to OSU’s .233 (64-24-172). Against the Redhawks, Anderson led the Aggies again with 11 kills, while the team hit .206 (38-18-97) to Seattle’s .280 (42-14-100). Against the Pilots, senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith led the Aggies with 12 kills, with the team hitting .151 (31-17-93) to Portland’s .300 (42-9-110). Following the tournament, Andersen was the lone Aggie named to the all-tournament team.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 2 --- at CS Fullerton 8 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Sept. 4 --- at UC Santa Barbara, 12 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (1-2) continues its 2016 season with two road matches this week as it plays at CS Fullerton (1-2) on Friday, Sept. 2 at 8 p.m. (MT), and at UC Santa Barbara (3-0) on Sunday, Sept. 4 at 12 p.m. (MT). USU is 4-6-1 all-time against the Titans and 2-6-1 all-time against the Gauchos.
L, 2-3 --- at Eastern Washington
L, 0-3 --- UTAH
• Utah State posted an 0-2 record last week as it fell to Eastern Washington, 3-2, on the road Monday, and to Utah, 3-0, in Sunday’s home opener. In Monday’s match, senior forward Jessica Brooksby and senior midfielder Jayne Robison-Merrill scored the two goals for the Aggies. Brooksby put USU on the board with a free kick in the 31st minute, while Robison-Merrill scored the equalizing goal in the 73rd minute of play. Redshirt sophomore Grace McGuire played the majority of the week’s minutes in the net, while freshman Maggie Richey played the second half of the Utah match. On the week, the two combined for six saves. Offensively, the Aggies took 21 shots between the two games, while their opponents fired 26.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Sept. 3 --- SAGEBRUSH CLASSIC, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will begin their 2016 season on Saturday, Sept. 3, when they host the Sagebrush Invitational on the Steve and Dona Reeder Cross Country Course, which is located at 1498 N. 800 East in Logan. The men will run at 9 a.m., while the women will race at 9:30.
• Utah State’s men’s cross country team has won six conference championships in the last 11 years (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011), but is looking for its first since joining the Mountain West in 2013. The Aggies return nine men off of last year’s team that finished eighth with 220 points at the Mountain West Championships. Out of the returnees, junior Dillon Maggard was the top finisher at the MW Championships as he placed 41st with a time of 28:23.63. The Aggies concluded the season by placing 16th at the NCAA Mountain Regional Championships, where Colby Wilson, now a senior, led the way as he placed 43rd overall with a time of 31:39.28. USU was picked to finish sixth in the MW this season.
• Utah State’s women’s cross country team, which won Western Athletic Conference titles in 2006 and 2008, respectively, placed sixth with 144 points at the 2015 Mountain West Championships. Six of the eight women who competed in last year’s MW Championships return for the Aggies this season, highlighted by sophomore Kashley Carter. As a freshman, Carter earned second-team all-conference honors after placing 14th with a time of 23:41.68 at the MW Championships. The Aggies concluded the season by placing 11th at the NCAA Mountain Regional Championships, where senior Tori Parkinson placed 43rd with a time of 21:13.40. USU was picked to finish sixth in the MW this season.
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear