WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - AUGUST 31, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Thur., Sept. 3 --- SOUTHERN UTAH, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s football team (0-0) begins its 2015 season this week as it hosts Southern Utah (0-0) on Thursday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. USU is 3-0 all-time against the Thunderbirds.
• Utah State was picked to finish second in the Mountain Division of the Mountain West Conference this season according to polls voted on by the conference’s coaches and media. Third-year head coach Matt Wells welcomes back 15 starters (O-8, D-7) and 38 letterwinners (O-12, D-24, S-2) from last year’s team that posted a 10-4 record, finished tied for second in the Mountain Division with a 6-2 record, and ended its season with a 21-6 win against UTEP in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl. At season’s end, the Aggies received 11 top-25 votes in the final Associated Press poll and eight votes in the final ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ poll to rank 32nd and 34th, respectively. Highlighting those returners are a pair of seniors in QB Chuckie Keeton and LB Kyler Fackrell, along with junior LB Nick Vigil as all three players were named to the Mountain West’s preseason team. Fackrell was also voted the league’s preseason Defensive Player of the Year. Last season, Vigil earned first-team all-MW honors, while Fackrell was named to the second-team in 2013. Keeton earned first-team all-WAC honors as a sophomore in 2012. Over the last three years, Utah State is one of just four Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools to win at least 30 games and three bowl games along with Clemson, Michigan State and Oregon. Furthermore, USU has played in four-straight bowl games, winning each of its last three, both of which are school records.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat, Sept. 5 --- AGGIE INVITATIONAL, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will begin their 2015 season on Saturday, Sept. 5 when they host the Aggie Invitational on the newly-named Steve and Dona Reeder Cross Country Course, which is located at 1498 North 800 East in Logan. The men will run at 9 a.m., while the women will race at 9:30.
• Utah State’s men’s cross country team has won six conference championships in the last 10 years (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011), but is looking for its first since joining the Mountain West in 2013. The Aggies return nine men off of last year’s team that finished fifth with 152 points at the Mountain West Championships. Out of the returnees, junior Colby Wilson was the top finisher at the MW Championships as he placed 62nd with a time of 31:53. Utah State was picked to finish sixth in the MW this season.
• Utah State’s women’s cross country team, which won Western Athletic Conference titles in 2006 and 2008, respectively, placed seventh with 180 points at the 2014 Mountain West Championships. All nine women who competed in last year’s MW Championships return for the Aggies this season, highlighted by junior Tori Parkinson. As a sophomore, Parkinson placed 22nd with a time of 21:22.50 at the MW Championships. Utah State was picked to finish seventh in the MW this season.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Sept. 1 --- UTAH, 7 p.m.
GOSSNER FOODS INVITATIONAL
Fri., Sept. 4 --- MIDDLE TENNESSEE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 5 --- SOUTHERN UTAH, 12 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 5 --- SAN FRANCISCO, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (1-2) continues its 2015 season this week with four home matches. USU begins the week by hosting in-state rival Utah (2-1) on Tuesday, Sept. 1 at 7 p.m., and will conclude the week by hosting its annual Gossner Foods Invitational. USU will begin the tournament on Friday, Sept. 4 against Middle Tennessee (1-3) at 7 p.m., followed by matches against Southern Utah (4-0) and San Francisco (3-0) on Saturday, Sept. 5 at Noon. and 7 p.m., respectively. USU is 0-0 all-time against the Blue Raiders, 2-1 all-time against the Thunderbirds and 1-2 all-time against the Dons.
L, 0-3 --- at Texas Tech
L, 1-3 --- vs. Houston, Lubbock, Texas
W, 3-0 --- vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, Lubbock, Texas
• Utah State posted a 1-2 record last weekend at the Texas Tech Fall Invitational as it lost to the host Red Raiders (3-0) and against Houston (3-1), before concluding the tournament with a 3-0 win against Louisiana-Lafayette. Against TTU, freshman MB Lauren O'Brien had six kills and hit .455 (6-1-11) in the match. As a team, USU hit .029 (24-21-102) and TTU hit .229 (43-19-105). Against UH, junior OH Kaylie Kamalu posted her first career double-double with 10 kills and a career-best 11 digs, while sophomore OH Rachel Gale also had 10 kills. USU finished the match hitting .156 (42-20-141) and UH hit .250 (59-21-152). And against ULL, Kamalu had 14 kills and 10 digs for her second career double-double, while O’Brien hit .583 (8-1-12). USU finished the match hitting .286 (41-13-98) and ULL hit .011 (24-23-93).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 4 --- vs. Iowa, Missoula, Mont., 2 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 6 --- at Gonzaga, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (3-1) continues its 2015 season with a pair matches this week as it plays Iowa (2-0-0) on Friday, Sept. 4 in Missoula, Mont., at 2 p.m., and then plays at Gonzaga (1-1-1) on Sunday, Sept. 6 at 1 p.m. (MT). USU is 0-2-0 all-time against the Hawkeyes and 1-5-0 all-time against the Bulldogs.
L, 0-1 --- at Utah Valley
W, 2-0 --- HOUSTON
• Utah State posted a 1-1 record last week as it fell at Utah Valley, 1-0, before topping Houston, 2-0, at home. Against the Cougars, junior midfielder Jayne Robison put the Aggies on the board in the fifth minute, scoring when the ball deflected off the crossbar. Junior forward Jessica Brooksby extended the lead with a goal in the 67th minute, assisted by junior midfielder Katie Flynn. The Aggies fired off a season-high 16 shots in Sunday’s win, out-shooting the Cougars, 16-7. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Grace McGuire made her first-career start Sunday, guarding the net for the full 90 minutes.
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
USU Track & Field Opens...
Utah State's track & field teams are set to open the outdoor season this weekend at the UC Irvine...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear