LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 5, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Sept. 10 --- at USC, Noon (MT) (Pac-12 Network)
• Utah State’s football team (1-0) continues its 2016 season this week as it plays at USC (0-1) on Saturday, Sept. 10, at noon (MT). The game will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network. USU is 0-5 all-time against the Trojans with all five of those games being played in Los Angeles.
W, 45-6 --- WEBER STATE
• Utah State senior RB Devante Mays rushed for a career-high 208 yards and three first-half touchdowns to help the Aggies kick off the 2016 campaign with a dominating 45-6 victory against Weber State on Thursday, Sept. 1, 2016, on Merlin Olsen Field at renovated Maverik Stadium. Mays became the first Aggie to rush for more than 200 yards in a game since Kerwynn Williams gained 235 yards in the 2012 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl against Toledo. Utah State (1-0, 0-0 Mountain West) finished with 528 yards of total offense, including 428 on the ground. Junior QB Kent Myers was 11-of-17 passing for 100 yards. His favorite targets on the night were senior TE Wyatt Houston and freshman WR Rayshad Lewis, who both caught three passes for 32 and 26 yards, respectively. Four different running backs scored rushing touchdowns for the Aggies. Mays had three of them, while sophomore Justen Hervey and juniors Tonny Lindsey, Jr., and LaJuan Hunt, each had one. Weber State (0-1, 0-0 Big Sky) finished with 245 yards of total offense, but only 89 yards in the second half. Playing in his first-ever game, senior Leki Uasike started at linebacker for Utah State and recorded a team-best nine tackles. Fellow linebackers Anthony Williams, a senior, and Alex Huerta, a junior, added seven stops apiece. Redshirt junior boundary safety Dallin Leavitt added six tackles and the game’s lone turnover on an interception.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat.-Sun., Sept. 10-11 --- at Air Force Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will begin its fall schedule this weekend at the 48th annual Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational hosted by the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. The 54-hole tournament, which will be played on the Blue Course at the Eisenhower Golf Club, gets underway Saturday, Sept. 10, at 8:15 a.m. The tournament consists of two rounds on Saturday and a final round Sunday that starts at 7:30 a.m.
• Utah State returns three letterwinners from last season in seniors Tanner Jenson and Eli Rogers, along with junior Braxton Miller. Miller finished the 2015-16 season with a stroke average of 73.11 over 27 rounds, while Jenson had a stroke average of 73.31 over 29 rounds, and Rogers had a stroke average of 74.31 over 26 rounds. For their careers, Jenson has a stroke average of 74.01 over 72 rounds, Miller has a stroke average of 74.12 over 50 rounds, and Rogers has a stroke average of 74.96 over 55 rounds.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 9 --- GONZAGA, 4 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 11 --- SAM HOUSTON STATE, 11 a.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (2-3) continues its 2016 season with two home matches this week as it hosts Gonzaga (3-1-1) on Friday, Sept. 9, at 4 p.m. and Sam Houston State (0-5) on Sunday, Sept. 11, at 11 a.m. USU is 1-5-0 all-time against the Bulldogs and 1-0-0 all-time against the Bearkats.
W, 1-0 --- at CS Fullerton
L, 0-1 --- at UC Santa Barbara
• Utah State posted a 1-1 road record last week as it defeated Cal State Fullerton, 1-0, and fell to UC Santa Barbara, 1-0. Junior forward Bailee Hammond scored the Aggies’ sole goal of the weekend, striking in the 77th minute of the CSF match. She was assisted by senior forward Jessica Brooksby, helping the Aggies to the win. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Grace McGuire played the entirety of the CS Fullerton match, while freshman goalkeeper Maggie Richey made her first-career start and played the full 90 minutes at UC Santa Barbara. On the week, the two combined for 10 saves while allowing one goal. Offensively, the Aggies took 22 shots between the two games, while their opponents fired 28.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Sept. 17 --- at Montana State Invitational, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Saturday, Sept. 17, when they travel to Bozeman, Mont., to compete in the Montana State-hosted Bozeman Running Company Invitational
W: 2/6; M: 3/5 --- UTAH STATE INVITATIONAL
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams set the tone for the 2016 campaign with stellar performances from their freshmen at the Utah State-hosted Sagebrush Invitational last weekend. The USU women finished second with 56 points, while the USU men placed third with 77 points. For the second consecutive year an Aggie freshman captured the women’s 5K title as Bailee Parker placed first with a time of 17:28.77. At last year’s opening meet, Kashley Carter, now a sophomore, seized the victory with a time of 17:40. Carter, along with several other Aggie women, did not compete at this year’s meet due to injury. Counting Parker, USU’s women placed six runners in the top-20. Junior Kelsey Yamauchi crossed the line seventh with a time of 18:03.81, while a group of Aggies finished closely behind. Junior Tylee Newman placed 15th (18:23.95), freshman Elli Eastmond finished 16th (18:24.05) and Cierra Simmons took 17th (18:25.17). Rounding out the top-20 finishers for the Aggies was sophomore Shannon Maloney, who placed 20th with a time of 18:25.17. On the men’s side, senior Colby Wilson paced the Aggies as he finished ninth with a time of 21:21.96. Behind Wilson, was freshman James Withers, who placed 15th (21:34.02), sophomore Clay Lambourne, who finished 16th (21:35.66), and junior Tyler Roberts, who crossed the line 20th (21:44.12).
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
UTAH STATE INVITATIONAL, sponsored by Gossner Foods
Thur., Sept. 8 --- UC RIVERSIDE, Noon
Thur., Sept. 8 --- PORTLAND STATE, 7 p.m.
Fri., Sept. 9 --- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (2-4) continues its 2016 season this week as it begins its home season by hosting the Utah State Invitational, sponsored by Gossner Foods. USU will begin the tournament on Thursday, Sept. 8, as it hosts UC Riverside (3-3) and Portland State (4-2) at noon and 7 p.m., respectively. USU will then conclude the tournament against Southeastern Louisiana (1-5) on Friday, Sept. 9, at 1 p.m. Other matches include Southeastern Louisiana against Portland State at 10 a.m. and Southeastern Louisiana vs. UC Riverside at 4:30 p.m., on Thursday, Sept. 8, and Portland State vs. UC Riverside on Friday, Sept. 9, at 11 a.m. USU is 10-4 all-time against the Highlanders, 6-3 against the Vikings, and 0-0 all-time against the Lions.
at Denver Tournament
W, 3-0 --- vs. Montana State
L, 0-3 --- vs. #20 Loyola Marymount
W, 3-1 --- at Denver
• Utah State posted a 2-1 record last weekend at the Pioneer Invitational, picking up wins against Montana State (3-0) and Denver (3-1) and falling to No. 20 Loyola Marymount (3-0). Against MSU, junior outside Lauren Anderson recorded 17 kills and hit a season-high .412 (17-3-34) and was followed by junior right side Kayla DeCoursey with 10 kills. USU hit a season-high .308 (43-11-104) during the match to MSU’s .144 (32-17-104). Against No. 20 LMU, Anderson led the team again with 11 kills as the Aggies hit .168 (33-15-107) to the Lions’ .367 (49-13-98). In the tournament finale, junior outside Rachel Gale led the Aggies with a season-high 17 kills and was followed by Anderson with a double-double of 16 kills and a career-high 15 digs. Sophomore setter Kassidy Johnson also recorded a double-double (43 assists, 11 digs) as the Aggies hit .208 (55-24-149) to Denver’s .213 (58-24-160). Following the tournament, Anderson was named to the all-tournament team after leading the Aggies with 44 kills and a hitting percentage of .300 (44-14-100) and finishing second on the team with 21 digs.
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the Mountain West Outdoor Field...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross...03/20/2018
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear