LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 12, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Fri., Sept. 16 --- ARKANSAS STATE, 7 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
• Utah State’s football team (1-1) continues its 2016 season this week as it hosts Arkansas State (0-2) on Friday, Sept. 16, at 7 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on the CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 3-3 all-time against the Red Wolves, including a 3-0 home record.
L, 7-45 --- at USC
• Senior TE Wyatt Houston caught his first touchdown pass of the season and redshirt junior BS Dallin Leavitt recorded a career-high 15 tackles, but it still wasn’t enough in a 45-7 loss to Southern Cal last weekend. Houston’s touchdown grab, a six-yarder from junior QB Kent Myers on the final play of the third quarter, pulled the Aggies to within 31-7. Houston tied his career high with four receptions for 33 yards, while Myers was 25-of-37 for 204 yards and the one touchdown, to go along with an interception. Sophomore WR Ron’Quavion Tarver and freshman WR Rayshad Lewis each finished with a career-high four receptions for the Aggies. Tarver led Utah State with 37 yards receiving and Lewis finished with 34. The Trojans tallied 422 yards of total offense and limited the Aggies to 253. Several Aggie defenders had career days including sophomore LB Derek Larsen, who had seven tackles, including 2.0 tackles for loss and 1.0 sack, all of which were career-highs. Junior CB Jalen Davis also had a sack and finished with six tackles.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Sept. 17 --- at Montana State Invitational, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Saturday, Sept. 17, when they travel to Bozeman, Mont., to compete in the Montana State-hosted Bozeman Running Company Invitational.
W: 2/6; M: 3/5 --- UTAH STATE INVITATIONAL
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams set the tone for the 2016 campaign with stellar performances from their freshmen at the Utah State-hosted Sagebrush Invitational two weekends ago. The USU women finished second with 56 points, while the USU men placed third with 77 points. For the second consecutive year an Aggie freshman captured the women’s 5K title as Bailee Parker placed first with a time of 17:28.77. At last year’s opening meet, Kashley Carter, now a sophomore, seized the victory with a time of 17:40. Carter, along with several other Aggie women, did not compete at this year’s meet due to injury. Counting Parker, USU’s women placed six runners in the top-20. Junior Kelsey Yamauchi crossed the line seventh with a time of 18:03.81, while a group of Aggies finished closely behind. Junior Tylee Newman placed 15th (18:23.95), freshman Elli Eastmond finished 16th (18:24.05) and Cierra Simmons took 17th (18:25.17). Rounding out the top-20 finishers for the Aggies was sophomore Shannon Maloney, who placed 20th with a time of 18:25.17. On the men’s side, senior Colby Wilson paced the Aggies as he finished ninth with a time of 21:21.96. Behind Wilson, was freshman James Withers, who placed 15th (21:34.02), sophomore Clay Lambourne, who finished 16th (21:35.66), and junior Tyler Roberts, who crossed the line 20th (21:44.12).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Sat., Sept. 17 --- #7 BYU, 4 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (4-3) continues its 2016 season this weekend as it hosts No. 7 BYU (5-1-0) on Saturday, Sept. 17, at 4 p.m. Live streaming of the match is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 0-12 all-time against the Cougars.
W, 2-1 (OT) --- GONZAGA
W, 8-0 --- SAM HOUSTON STATE
• Utah State posted a 2-0 home record last week as it topped Gonzaga, 2-1, in overtime, before defeating Sam Houston State, 8-0. Junior forward Wesley Hamblin and freshman forward Alecia Robinson led the way with three goals apiece during the weekend, while senior forward Jessica Brooksby had three assists. The eight goals against SHSU rank third in a single-match all-time, while the seven assists and 23 total points each rank second in program history. USU scored first against Gonzaga, as senior midfielder Jayne Robison-Merrill put the Aggies on the board with a last-second goal in the first half. Hamblin then scored the game-winner early in overtime to give the Aggies the win. Brooksby assisted on both goals against the Bulldogs. The high-scoring first half against SHSU started in the 18th minute on a goal from Robison-Merrill, assisted by senior defender Karlee Campbell-Zollinger. Just 45 seconds later, Hamblin scored her first goal of the day with help from Brooksby. Hamblin combined with Campbell-Zollinger in the 21st minute, while senior midfielder Katie Flynn added an unassisted goal in the 28th minute. In the 36th minute, sophomore midfielder scored on an assist from freshman midfielder Kanyan Ward. Scoring her first collegiate goal, Robinson struck next in the 37th minute. She went on to score three goals over a six-minute period with assists from Chung-Hoon, Ward and Flynn. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Grace McGuire played the full match against Gonzaga, as well as the first half against Sam Houston State. Senior Natalie Stoven played the second half against the Bearkats, splitting the shutout with McGuire. On the week, the two combined for 12 saves while allowing one goal. Offensively, the Aggies took 28 shots between the two games, while their opponents tallied 36.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 16-18 --- at Idaho State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis begins its 2016 fall season this weekend at the Idaho State Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 16-18.
• Utah State returns seven letterwinners from last season’s squad that posted an 11-13 overall record, including senior Nini Guensler, who earned all-Mountain West honors in singles after posting a 14-9 dual match mark, including a 2-2 record against conference foes, playing mostly at No. 1 singles. For the first time since 2003, the Aggies won a conference tournament match in consecutive seasons after a 4-3 win against Air Force in the Mountain West tournament’s first round. Joining Guensler as returning letterwinners are senior Ekaterina Tugarinova, juniors Maggie O’Meara, Sabrina Demerath and Meghan Lyall, and sophomores Jenna Kane and Monika Van de Vondel. The Aggies will bring in the nation’s No. 12 ranked mid-major recruiting class by the Tennis Recruiting Network as Ellee Bullock, Sophia Haleas, Hannah Jones and Lucy Octave joined the squad out of high school.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Sept. 13 --- at Utah Valley, 7 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 17 --- at Utah, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (4-5) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of in-state road matches as it plays at Utah Valley (4-6) on Tuesday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m., and at Utah (7-2) on Saturday, Sept. 17, at 7 p.m. USU is 7-6 all-time against the Wolverines and 25-45 all-time against the Utes.
UTAH STATE INVITATIONAL, sponsored by Gossner Foods
W, 3-0 --- UC RIVERSIDE
L, 2-3 --- PORTLAND STATE
W, 3-1 --- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
• Utah State posted a 2-1 record last week at its home-hosted USU Invitational, picking up wins against UC Riverside (3-0) and Southeastern Louisiana (3-1) and falling to Portland State (3-2). Against the Highlanders, senior libero Hannah Gleason tied a school record with seven service aces and senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith hit a career-best .417 (10-0-24). USU hit .276 (35-8-98) as a team and held UCR to a season-low -.050 (21-26-100) in the victory. Against the Vikings, USU won the first two sets and had four players with double-digit kills, including Kamalu-Smith (15), junior outside Lauren Anderson (14), junior right side Kayla DeCoursey (12) and sophomore middle Lauren O’Brien (10). Senior setter Erica Moscoso recorded her first double-double of the season with 42 assists and 12 digs, as USU hit .230 (62-22-174) as a team to PSU’s .260 (71-26-173). In the tournament finale, Gale hit a career-high .371 (16-3-35) and was joined in double figures by Kamalu-Smith with 12 kills as the Aggies hit .272 (46-15-114) as a team. Southeastern Louisiana finished the match hitting .065 (39-31-124) as USU recorded a season-high 12.0 blocks. Following the tournament, Gleason and junior middle Carly Lenzen were named to the all-tournament team as Gleason led the Aggies with 35 digs and 10 service aces and Lenzen led USU with a .395 (19-4-38) hitting percentage and 17.0 blocks.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 16-18 --- at Midland (Texas) Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis begins its 2016 fall season this weekend at the Midland (Texas) Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 16-18.
• Utah State looks to continue its unprecedented success from the 2015-16 season that saw the Aggies win the school’s first-ever Mountain West championship in any sport, as the Aggies won the regular season with a 5-1 conference record. Returning junior Jaime Barajas was named the MW Player of the Year after recording a 15-7 dual match ledger with a perfect 5-0 mark at No. 1 singles against conference foes. Returning senior Jack Swindells earned all-MW honors in singles, as he posted a 17-6 dual match mark, including a 4-1 record against MW opponents. As a team, the Aggies won a school-record 21 matches and reached their highest ranking in program history at No. 56 as it spent nine weeks in the rankings, ending the season at No. 60. Along with Barajas and Swindells, the Aggies return three other letterwinners in junior Andrew Nakajima and sophomores Samuel Serrano and Jonas Maier. Junior Daniel Echeverry and sophomore Austin Bass were both squad members, while Kai Wehnlet transfered to USU from Hawai’i to round out the roster.
Contact: Doug Hoffman- (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 26-27 --- at Colorado Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 26-27, when it competes in the Colorado-hosted Mark Simpson Invitational in Erie, Colo.
6th/16 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Freshman Chase Lansford shot a final-round five-under-par 67 to finish tied for 14th-place with a 3-over 219 (76-76-67) at the Air Force-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational last weekend. Lansford, who began his final round tied for 41st-place, carded the best round in the field during the final 18 holes and tied for the best round of the tournament with his 5-under 67. For Lansford, his 14th-place finish is the best by an Aggie freshman since Devin Daniels tied for 13th at the Boise State-hosted Bronco Roundup in 2003. UTEP (286-287-290) and UNLV (296-283-284) tied for first place in the 16-team field at 1-under 863, while UNLV’s John Oda (70-67-69) took medalist honors at 10-under 206. USU began the final day of competition in 11th place, but carded a 3-over 291 to move up five spots and finish sixth as a team. Also competing for Utah State was senior Tanner Jenson, who tied for 30th place at 9-over 225 (76-74-75), senior Eli Rogers, who tied for 39th place at 10-over 226 (76-76-74), freshman Hayden Eckert, who tied for 52nd place at 14-over 230 (75-77-78), and junior Braxton Miller, who tied for 58th place at 15-over 231 (78-78-75).
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear