LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 11, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Sept. 16 --- at Wake Forest, 1 p.m. (MT) (ACC Network/ESPN3)
• Utah State’s football team (1-1) continues its 2017 season this weekend in ACC country with a road game at Wake Forest (2-0) on Saturday, Sept. 16, at 1 p.m. (MT). The game will be streamed live on the ACC Network and ESPN3. USU is 1-0 all-time against the Demon Deacons.
W, 51-13 --- IDAHO STATE
• Utah State senior QB Kent Myers led Utah State to a dominating 51-13 home win against Idaho State last weekend. Myers completed 24-of-26 passes for 323 yards and two touchdowns, to go along with 85 yards rushing and two more scores on just eight carries as USU racked up 596 yards of total offense against the Bengals. Thirteen different Aggies caught a pass in the game as Utah State finished with 341 yards through the air. Junior WR Ron’quavion Tarver led the way with seven receptions for 75 yards and a three-yard, first-quarter touchdown that gave the hosts a 17-0 lead. Redshirt freshman WR Jordan Nathan added six receptions for 63 yards and his first career touchdown, a 19-yarder in the third quarter that put Utah State up 45-6. Redshirt sophomore TE Dax Raymond added a career-high three receptions for a career-best 56 yards in his first career start. Junior RB Eltoro Allen led the Aggies’ ground game with 103 yards rushing and his first career touchdown on 19 carries. Utah State rushed the ball 49 times for 255 yards and three scores, including the two by Myers. Senior RB LaJuan Hunt added 51 yards on 10 carries. Senior CB Jalen Davis highlighted the Aggies’ defensive effort as he intercepted two passes, returning one of them 25 yards for a touchdown to give Utah State a 31-6 lead with 8:12 left in the second quarter. Davis also had two tackles to go along with one pass breakup in the game. Sophomore PK Dominik Eberle was a perfect 2-for-2 on field goal attempts as he was good from 40 and 22 yards, respectively. Eberle also made all six of his extra point attempts to finish the game with a career high 12 points scored. Fellow sophomore PK Michael Smith added a 42-yard field goal in the fourth quarter for his first career points as an Aggie. Junior LB Chase Christiansen led Utah State with eight tackles, while senior LB Alex Huerta and junior LB Suli Tamaivena added six stops apiece.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 15 --- at Eastern Michigan, 3 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Sept. 17 --- at Oakland (Mich.), 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (3-2-1) concludes non-conference competition this week with a pair of road matches. The Aggies will play at Eastern Michigan (3-3-1) on Friday, Sept. 15, at 3 p.m. (MT) and at Oakland (0-7-1) on Sunday, Sept. 17, at 10 a.m. (MT). This will be the first-ever meeting against both teams for Utah State.
L, 0-5 --- at Minnesota
• Utah State fell at Minnesota, 5-0, last week in its only match. On the day, USU was outshot by the Gophers, 17-3. Senior Sara Cobb and sophomore Maggie Richey minded the net for the Aggies, tallying five saves together.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Sept. 12 --- at Weber State, 7 p.m.
Fri., Sept. 15 --- at Southern Utah, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (6-4) continues its 2017 season this week, traveling to Weber State (1-8) on Tuesday, Sept. 12, and to Southern Utah (5-6) on Friday, Sept. 15, with both matches starting at 7 p.m. USU is 36-19 all-time against WSU and 2-2 all-time against SUU.
L, 1-3 --- UTAH VALLEY
at Northern Arizona Invitational
W, 3-1 --- at Northern Arizona
W, 3-0 --- vs. CSU Bakersfield
L, 0-3 --- vs. Arizona State
• Utah State posted a 2-2 record last week, opening with a 3-1 home loss to Utah Valley, and then a pair of wins on the opening day of the Lumberjack Classic, including a 3-1 victory over Northern Arizona and CSU Bakersfield. The week ended with a 3-0 loss to Arizona State in the final match of the Lumberjack Classic. Against UVU, senior outside Lauren Anderson recorded a double-double with 17 kills and 11 digs as USU hit .200 (54-23-155) to the Wolverines’ .268 (52-18-1127). Against the Lumberjacks, Anderson logged her third match with 20 or more kills this season, leading the Aggies with 20 as USU hit .270 (59-21-141) to NAU’s .190 (47-20-142). Redshirt freshman setter Jaysa Funk recorded the first of two double-doubles on the day, recording 46 assists and 16 digs in the win over NAU, and 36 assists and 10 digs in the next match against CSUB. Anderson also recorded a double-double against the Roadrunners with 13 kills and 13 digs as USU hit .229 (45-18-118) to CSUB’s .131 (37-21-122). Against the Sun Devils, Anderson led the Aggies again with 11 kills as USU hit .114 (34-22-105) to ASU’s .247 (44-20-97). Anderson and senior opposite Kayla DeCoursey were named to the all-tournament team as Anderson totaled 44 kills, averaging 4.40 per set, hit .297 (44-14-101) and logged 27 digs, six blocks, two aces and one assist. DeCoursey finished second on the team with 11 blocks, while recording 26 kills, hitting .246 (26-9-69) and tallying 10 digs and two service aces.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 25-26 --- at Colorado Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s golf team continues its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 25-26, when it competes in the Colorado Invitational.
16th/19 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State finished the Air Forced-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational in 16th place at 21-over 885 (292-300-293). Wyoming won the 19-team tournament with a 29-under 835 (284-270-281) and the Cowboys’ John Murdock took medalist honors at 14-under 202 (67-65-70). For USU, senior Braxton Miller led the Aggies as he tied for 56th place at 5-over 221 (72-74-75). Freshman Colten Cordingley had the best round of the day for Utah State on Sunday with a 2-under 70 to finish the tournament tied for 74th place at 8-over 224 (78-76-70). Sophomore Hayden Eckert tied for 79th place at 9-over 225 (77-75-73), and sophomore Brock Stanger (76-75-75) and sophomore Andy Hess (67-78-81) both tied for 84th place at 10-over.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Sept. 16 --- at BYU Classic, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams continue their 2017 season on Saturday, Sept. 16, at the BYU Classic at 9 a.m.
M: 1/2; W: 1/3 --- USU SAGEBRUSH INVITE
• Utah State cross country kicked off the 2017 season by sweeping the USU-hosted Sagebrush Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 2, as the men placed first with 22 points, finishing ahead of Weber State’s 37, while the Aggie women took first with 15 points, defeating Weber State (56) and Utah (79). On the men’s side, senior Dillon Maggard captured first with a time of 21:12.62, edging teammate James Withers, a sophomore, who finished in 21:18.42. For the third-consecutive year, a newcomer on the women’s team captured the event title, as junior transfer Alyssa Snyder claimed the top spot with a time of 17:39.35. Snyder joins Bailee Parker (2016) and Kashley Carter (2015) as newcomers to win their first race in the last three seasons. Other top-10 finishers on the men’s side included sophomore Luke Beattie, who came in fifth with a time of 21:21.47, while sophomore J.D. Thorne posted a time of 21:27.53 to place sixth. Senior Spencer Fehlberg (21:38.97), redshirt freshman Brody Smith (21:41.86) and freshman Haydon Cooper (21:42.79) rounded out the top-10 by placing eighth, ninth and 10th, respectively. In the women’s race, junior Tavia Dutson claimed second with a time of 17:59.30, while juniors Cierra Simmons (18.07.36) and Presli Hutchison (18:07.46) took fourth and fifth. Senior Tori Parkinson ran an 18:07.65 to take sixth, as fellow senior Kelsey Yamauchi-Richins ran an 18:12.90 to place seventh. Rounding out the Aggies in the top-10, freshman Katie Struthers ran a 19:25.44 to take 10th.
Contact: Ashley Springer - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 15-17 --- at Midland (Texas) Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis begins its 2017 fall season this weekend at the Midland (Texas) Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 15-17.
• Utah State returns after back-to-back regular season Mountain West titles, including the 2016-17 MW postseason championships — the first in Utah State history. The Aggies finished the year with a school record in wins, finishing 23-9, including 6-1 in the Mountain West. Utah State had its highest ITA ranking at No. 39 and was in the top-50 for nine consecutive weeks, finishing at No. 45. USU returns four letterwinners in seniors Jaime Barajas and Andrew Nakajima, junior Samuel Serrano and sophomore Sergiu Bucur. Serrano was named to the MW singles and doubles all-MW teams, finishing 21-10 in singles and 20-14 in doubles, including 15-6 and 13-11 in dual matches, respectively. Barajas, who is four wins away from having the most singles victories in USU history, and Serrano each were named the Mountain West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week twice during the season. Also returning to the roster is junior Austin Bass. Utah State will be joined by four newcomers in Felipe Acosta, Jose Fernando Carvajal, Valdemar Holm and Aditya Vashistha.
USU Volleyball to Take...09/25/2017
Lauren Anderson Named...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State senior outside Lauren Anderson has been named the America First Credit...09/25/2017
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's fall sports continue this week with men's and women's cross country, football, golf,...09/25/2017
Utah State Soccer Ends Road...
One early goal was all it took for Utah State to earn a road win at Fresno State Sunday afternoon.09/24/2017
Utah State Ranks First in...
The Aggies have recovered six fumbles this season, which ranks first in the Mountain West and...09/24/2017
Aggie Golfers Continue 2017...
Utah State's golf team will continue its fall schedule this week as it travels to Erie, Colo., to...09/24/2017
Utah State Opens Mountain...
Senior quarterback Kent Myers accounted for 265 yards of total offense and four touchdowns as...09/23/2017
Aggies Begin Mountain West ...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Lauren AndersonSport: Women's Volleyball
Class: SeniorLauren Anderson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear