WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 14, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Sept. 19 --- at Washington, 3 p.m. MT (Pac-12)
• Utah State’s football team (1-1) continues its 2015 season this weekend at Washington (1-1) on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 3 p.m. (MT). The game will be nationally televised on the Pac-12 Network. USU is 0-2 all-time against the Huskies with both games being played in Seattle.
L, 14-24 --- at #24 Utah
• Utah State redshirt senior QB Chuckie Keeton tied the school record for career touchdown passes, but it wasn’t enough in a 24-14 loss at 24th-ranked Utah last weekend. Keeton tossed a pair of first-half touchdown passes to tie the career mark of 60 set by Jose Fuentes (1998-2002). He finished the game 22-of-35 for 256 yards and two interceptions for the Aggies. Keeton also led the team in rushing with 46 yards on 12 carries. Senior WR Devonte Robinson had a career-high tying six receptions for a career-best 119 yards, including a long of 51 yards, another career mark. Senior LB LT Filiaga, who began his career at Utah, recorded a career-high 12 tackles for his fourth career double-digit tackle game. Junior LB Nick Vigil also had 12 stops for his second straight double-digit tackle outing and eighth of his career. Senior NG David Moala added a career-high eight tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Utah State, which outgained Utah 373-327, twice drove into the red zone in the fourth, but didn’t come away with any points due to an interception and fumble. USU finished with 256 passing yards and 117 rushing yards, while Utah had 132 yards through the air and 195 on the ground. For the game, Utah controlled the ball for 33:52 as compared to 26:08 for the Aggies.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Sept. 19 --- at Montana State Invitational, 9 a.m.
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 19 when they compete in the Montana State-hosted Bozeman Running Company Invitational at 9 a.m.
M: 1/2; W: 1/3 --- AGGIE INVITATIONAL
• Both the Utah State men and women won their own Aggie invitational last weekend. On the men’s side, junior Colby Wilson and sophomore Justin Sheets finished side-by-side as the duo finished the 7K course in 20:44. Sophomore Dillon Maggard gave the Aggies a 1-2-3 finish as he crossed the line in third with a time of 20:45. The top-eight finishers on the men’s side were USU student-athletes as BYU transfer Ben Johnston finished fourth (20:52) and sophomore Jonathan Stutz took fifth (21:05). Freshman Kody Gould (21:08), freshman Andrew Rummens (21:11) and freshman Kaden Winter (21:22) rounded out the top-eight. Kashley Carter led the way for the USU women as the true freshman captured individual honors in her first collegiate race by finishing the 5K course in 17:40. Two other Aggies finished in the top-five as sophomores Jackie Heaps (18:09) and Kelsey Yamauchi (18:12) placed third and fourth, respectively. A total of seven Aggie women placed in the top-10 as junior Tori Parkinson took sixth (18:26), freshman Shannon Maloney placed seventh (18:27), senior Jacqueline Winterton finished ninth (18:39) and sophomore Caroline Weiler captured 10th (18:42).
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Tues., Sept. 15 --- UTAH VALLEY, 7 p.m.
at Northern Colorado Classic
Fri., Sept. 18 --- at Northern Colorado, 7 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 19 --- vs. Indiana, Greeley, Colo., 10 a.m.
Sat., Sept. 19 --- vs. Eastern Kentucky, Greeley, Colo., 5:30 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (2-8) continues its 2015 season this week with four matches, beginning with a home contest against Utah Valley (4-6) on Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. USU then travels to Greeley, Colo., over the weekend to compete in the Northern Colorado Classic. USU will begin the tournament on Friday, Sept. 18 against the host Bears (2-7) at 7 p.m., followed by a pair of matches on Saturday, Sept. 19 against Indiana (7-2) and Eastern Kentucky (1-10) at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. USU is 6-6 all-time against the Wolverines, 4-1 all-time against the Bears, 0-1 all-time against the Hoosiers and 1-0 all-time against the Colonels.
at USC Classic
L, 0-3 --- at #6 USC
L, 0-3 --- vs. Pepperdine, Los Angeles, Calif.
L, 0-3 --- vs. Idaho State, Los Angeles, Calif.
• Utah State posted an 0-3 record last week at the USC Classic as it lost to No. 6 USC (3-0), Pepperdine (3-0) and Idaho State (3-0). Against the Trojans, freshman MB Lauren O'Brien had five kills and five blocks, and hit .625 (5-0-8) in the match. Overall, USU hit .038 (22-19-80) and USC hit .284 (36-13-81). Against the Waves, redshirt sophomore MB Carly Lenzen had six kills and hit .357 (6-1-14). USU finished the match hitting .090 (27-18-100) and PU hit .266 (41-16-94). And against the Bengals, sophomore OH Rachel Gale, who was named to the all-tournament team, had 10 kills as USU hit .074 (29-20-121) and ISU hit .311 (50-13-119).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 18 --- at Utah, 4:30 p.m. (Pac-12 Network)
• Utah State’s soccer team (4-3-1) continues its 2015 season this week with a road match at Utah (3-2-2) on Friday, Sept. 18 at 4:30 p.m. The match will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network. USU is 4-13-0 all-time against the Utes.
L, 0-1 --- at #5 BYU
W, 5-3 --- IDAHO STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1-0 record last week as it fell at No. 5 BYU, 1-0, before topping Idaho State, 5-3, at home. Against the Cougars, the USU defense held strong until the 87th minute, when BYU scored its game-winning goal. Against the Bengals, USU fought back from a 3-1 deficit, scoring four unanswered goals to secure the win. Junior forward Jessica Brooksby led the team with her first-career hat trick, scoring the final three goals of the match. Junior midfielder Jayne Robison assisted on three of the team’s five goals, tying the program single-game assist record. Senior goalkeeper Jeannie Woller played the entirety of the two matches, allowing four goals, while tallying 15 saves.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 21-22 --- at Notre Dame Classic, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its fall schedule next week as it travels to South Bend, Ind., to compete in the Notre Dame Classic on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 21-22.
10th/16 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State senior Seokwon Jeon shot an even-par 72 during his final round to finish tied for 15th-place at the 47th annual Air Force-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Golf Invitational with a 1-under 215 for his eighth career under-par finish and 13th career top-20 placing. Utah State finished 10th in the 16-team field at 15-over 879 (292-287-300) as Mountain West foe Colorado State won the team championship with a 15-under 849 (286-282-281). Colorado’s Philip Juel-Berg took medalist honors with a 12-under 204 (69-67-68) to win the tournament by five strokes. Jeon, who now has 26 rounds under par and 10 rounds in the 60’s during his Utah State career, began the tournament with a 2-over 74 before carding a 3-under 69 during his second 18 holes, followed by his even-par round of 72 on Sunday. USU sophomore Braxton Miller finished tied for 35th-place at 5-over 221 (71-75-75), as did junior McCoy Willey (74-70-77). Junior Eli Rogers placed tied for 42nd at 6-over 222 (73-73-76) and fellow junior Tanner Jenson finished in 75th-place at 13-over 229 (76-76-77).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sat., Sept. 17-19 --- at BYU Invitational, All Day
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 18-20 --- at Air Force Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis continues its 2015 fall season this weekend at a pair of competitions as it will compete in the BYU Invitational from Thursday through Saturday, Sept. 17-19 and in the Air Force Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 18-20.
NTS --- USU INVITATIONAL
• Utah State hosted the second-annual Aggie Invitational last weekend and won all three singles flights and the doubles round-robin. Junior Nini Guensler posted a 3-0 singles record on her way to winning the Blue Flight and junior Lexi Turley posted a 3-0 singles record on her way to winning the White Flight. Freshman Monika Van de Vondel recorded a 2-1 singles record, while being named co-champion of the Aggie Flight along with freshman Jenna Kane, who posted a 3-1 singles record as well. Sophomores Maggie O'Meara and Sabrina Demerath both recorded 2-1 singles record, junior transfer Ekaterina Tugarinova posted a 1-2 singles record and freshman Alice Patch notched a 2-1 singles record. In doubles, Demerath and O’Meara posted a 3-0 record on their way to winning the round-robin bracket. Guensler and Van de Vondel posted a 2-1 record in the doubles bracket, falling in the finals. Turley and Tugarinova recorded a 1-2 record in the doubles bracket, and Patch and Kane recorded a 2-1 record in the doubles round robin.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 18-20 --- at Montana Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis begins its 2015 fall season this weekend at the Montana State Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 18-20.
• Utah State looks to continue its success from the 2014-15 season that saw the Aggies notch a school-record 18 wins, including the program’s first victory against BYU. USU was also ranked the highest in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association polls in school history, ranking as high as No. 62 during its six weeks in the polls. The Aggies boast three returners from last year’s team, including sophomore Jaime Barajas, who set a school record with 25 total singles wins during the 2014-15 season. Junior Jack Swindells and sophomore Andrew Nakajima bring back 13 and seven wins, respectively. The Aggies bring in seven newcomers in junior transfer from UT-Arlington Daniel Echeverry and freshmen Dylan Ihmels, Luis Lopez, Jonas Maier, Samuel Serrano, Romai Ugarte and Javier Araya Vargas.
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
USU Track & Field Opens...
Utah State's track & field teams are set to open the outdoor season this weekend at the UC Irvine...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear