LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 19, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Sept. 24 --- AIR FORCE, 8:15 p.m. (ESPNU)
• Utah State’s football team (2-1, 0-0 MW) continues its 2016 season this week as it hosts Air Force (2-0, 0-0 MW) in both team’s Mountain West opener on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 8:15 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU (Comcast Ch. 400/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 141, DirecTV Ch. 208). USU is 2-2 all-time against the Falcons, including a 1-0 home record. The game is also USU’s Homecoming.
W, 34-20 --- ARKANSAS STATE
• Junior RB Tonny Lindsey Jr. ran for a career-high 98 yards and two touchdowns as Utah State defeated Arkansas State 34-20 at home last weekend. Junior QB Kent Myers completed 11-of-25 passes for 136 yards and one touchdown, to go along with an interception, to help the Aggies (2-1, 0-0 Mountain West) score the first 24 points of the game. His favorite targets on the night were senior TE Wyatt Houston and sophomore WR Ron’Quavion Tarver, who both caught three passes for 28 and 24 yards, respectively. USU senior LB Brock Carmen led all defenders with a career-best 12 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss and 1.0 sacks. He also had two quarterback hurries. The Aggies forced three turnovers on the night as senior DE Siua Taufa recovered a fumble, while junior BS Dallin Leavitt and sophomore FS Jontrell Rocquemore each had an interception. USU finished with 334 yards of total offense (198 rushing, 136 passing). The Red Wolves only had 92 yards in the first half, but finished with 357 (287 passing, 70 rushing).
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Oct. 1 --- at Lehigh Invitational, 9:30 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Saturday, Oct. 1, when they travel to Bethlehem, Pa., to compete in the Lehigh-hosted Paul Short Run.
M: T-1/13; W: 4/14 --- at Montana State Invitational
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams passed their first test against region competition at the Montana State-hosted Bozeman Running Company Invitational last weekend. The Aggie men finished first among Division I schools with 57 points as they tied CSU-Pueblo, a Division II school. USU’s women finished fourth with 74 points. Leading the Aggie men was junior Dillon Maggard, who finished fourth with a time of 24:40.24. Junior Clay Lambourne also finished near the front as he placed eighth with a time of 24:50.07. Following those two were a bunch of Aggies in freshman Darren Harman (25:14.32), senior Colby Wilson (25:17.16), sophomore Adam Hendrickson (25:18.63) and freshman Luke Beattie (25:18.73), finishing 14th through 17th, respectively. On the women’s side, freshman Bailee Parker was in top form as she finished third, recording a time of 16:50.43. Sophomore Shannon Maloney also finished in the top-15, seizing 14th place with a time of 17:15.40. Behind Parker and Maloney came junior Tylee Newman-Skinner, placing 16th (17:18.14), junior Kelsey Yamauchi, finishing 19th (17:23.86) and sophomore Cierra Simmons placing 22nd (17:27.37).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 23 --- COLORADO STATE, 4 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 25 --- WYOMING, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (4-4-0, 0-0-0 MW) continues its 2016 season this weekend with a pair of Mountain West matches as it hosts Colorado State (2-5-0, 0-0-0 MW) on Friday, Sept. 23, at 4 p.m., and Wyoming (4-3-1, 0-0-0 MW) on Sunday, Sept. 25, at 1 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 3-0 all-time against the Rams and 4-4-2 all-time against the Cowgirls.
L, 1-3 --- #6 BYU
• Utah State fell to No. 6 BYU, 3-1, in its only match last week. Senior forward Jessica Brooksby scored the Aggies’ sole goal in the match, which was just the third goal USU has ever scored against the Cougars in 13 meetings. Brooksby put the Aggies on the board in the ninth minute of the match, evening the score just 15 seconds after BYU’s first goal. After the kickoff, junior forward Bailee Hammond crossed the ball over the box, where Brooksby got a touch on it to score. Redshirt sophomore Grace McGuire played the full match in the net, tallying five saves. Overall, Utah State took eight shots with four on goal, while the Cougars had the advantage with 12 shots, eight of which were on goal.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sun., Sept. 22-24 --- at BYU Invitational, All Day
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 23-25 --- AGGIE INVITATIONAL, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis continues its 2016 fall season this weekend at the BYU Invitational from Thursday through Saturday, Sept. 22-24 and by hosting the Aggie Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 23-25.
NTS --- at Idaho State Invitational
• Utah State women’s tennis sent junior Maggie O’Meara, sophomore Jenna Kane and freshmen Hannah Jones and Sophia Haleas to the Idaho State Invitational last weekend. Jones claimed a singles flight championship after notching a perfect 4-0 record, while Haleas posted a 3-1 record with a loss in the finals, O’Meara also went 3-1 with a loss in the finals, and Kane recorded a 2-1 mark. In doubles, Kane and O’Meara won a doubles flight championship after posting a 4-0 record, while Jones and Haleas went 2-1 to win the consolation bracket.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Sept. 22 --- at Nevada, 7:30 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Sept. 24 --- at San Diego State, 7 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s volleyball team (5-6, 0-0 MW) continues its 2016 season this week as it begins Mountain West play with road matches at Nevada (9-3, 0-0 MW) on Thursday, Sept. 22, at 7:30 p.m. (MT), and at San Diego State (8-5, 0-0 MW) on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 7 p.m. (MT). Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 20-21 all-time against the Wolf Pack and 5-10-1 all-time against the Aztecs.
W, 3-1 --- at Utah Valley
L, 0-3 --- at Utah
• Utah State posted a 1-1 record last week with a 3-1 victory at Utah Valley and a 3-0 loss at Utah. Against the Wolverines, senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith recorded a season-high 19 kills and was followed by junior outside Lauren Anderson with 17 kills as the Aggies picked up their first victory in Orem since 2009. USU hit .185 (53-30-124) in the match as compared to .237 (46-18-118) for UVU. Against the Utes, Kamalu-Smith recorded her first double-double of the season with 10 kills and 10 digs as USU hit .178 (35-14-118) to Utah’s .290 (57-19-131).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Mon.-Mon., Oct. 3-10 --- at ITA All-American Invite, Tulsa, Okla., All Day
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 7-9 --- at Boise State Fall Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis continues its 2016 fall season as it sends senior Jack Swindells, junior Jaime Barajas and sophomore Jonas Maier to the ITA All-Americans in Tulsa, Okla., with play possibly lasting from Monday through Monday, Oct. 3-10. Barajas will compete in singles, while Swindells and Maier will compete in doubles. Other Aggies will compete at the Boise State-hosted Boise Fall Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Oct. 7-9.
NTS --- at Midland (Texas) Invitational
• Utah State men’s tennis competed at the Midland (Texas) Invitational last weekend as senior Jack Swindells, junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Jonas Maier all posted a 2-1 record in singles en route to the quarterfinals of the main draw. Maier upset the No. 108-ranked player in the nation, Rice’s Tommy Bennett, in the first round in three sets (1-6, 7-6 (1), 6-4). In doubles, Maier and Swindells partnered up for a 1-1 record in the main draw.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 26-27 --- at Colorado Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 26-27, when it competes in the Colorado-hosted Mark Simpson Invitational in Erie, Colo.
6th/16 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Freshman Chase Lansford shot a final-round five-under-par 67 to finish tied for 14th-place with a 3-over 219 (76-76-67) at the Air Force-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational two weeks ago. Lansford, who began his final round tied for 41st-place, carded the best round in the field during the final 18 holes and tied for the best round of the tournament with his 5-under 67. For Lansford, his 14th-place finish is the best by an Aggie freshman since Devin Daniels tied for 13th at the Boise State-hosted Bronco Roundup in 2003. UTEP (286-287-290) and UNLV (296-283-284) tied for first place in the 16-team field at 1-under 863, while UNLV’s John Oda (70-67-69) took medalist honors at 10-under 206. USU began the final day of competition in 11th place, but carded a 3-over 291 to move up five spots and finish sixth as a team. Also competing for Utah State was senior Tanner Jenson, who tied for 30th place at 9-over 225 (76-74-75), senior Eli Rogers, who tied for 39th place at 10-over 226 (76-76-74), freshman Hayden Eckert, who tied for 52nd place at 14-over 230 (75-77-78), and junior Braxton Miller, who tied for 58th place at 15-over 231 (78-78-75).
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear