LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 18, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Sept. 23 --- at San José State, 5:30 p.m. (MT) (Facebook)
• Utah State’s football team (1-2, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this weekend as it begins Mountain West play at San José State (1-3, 0-0 MW) on Saturday, Sept. 23, at 5:30 p.m. (MT). The game will be aired exclusively on Facebook. USU is 16-20-1 all-time against the Spartans, including a 6-11-1 road record.
L, 10-46 --- at Wake Forest
• Redshirt freshman QB Jordan Love passed for a career-high 171 yards and one touchdown in Utah State’s 46-10 loss at Wake Forest last weekend. Love, who entered the game in the third quarter, completed 6-of-13 passes and threw his first career touchdown, a 77-yarder to sophomore WR Gerold Bright with 10:37 remaining in the quarter – tied for the 26th longest pass play in school history. That was Bright’s lone catch of the day. Senior WR Ron’quavion Tarver led the Aggies with five receptions for 35 yards, while junior WR Zach Van Leeuwen added two catches for a career-best 77 yards, including a career-long reception of 64 yards. Dominik Eberle accounted for USU’s only other points on a 30-yard field goal with 53 seconds left in the third. The sophomore placekicker is now a perfect 4-for-4 on the season in field goal attempts. For the second consecutive week, the Aggies blocked a punt. This time, junior QB DJ Nelson was credited with the block in the fourth quarter. It proved to be the 12th blocked kick under fifth-year head coach Matt Wells. Defensively, junior BS Gaje Ferguson led the Aggies with a season-high 10 tackles, his third career double-digit tackle game. Senior CB Jalen Davis tied his career high with three pass breakups, including one in the end zone that prevented a touchdown. Senior BS Dallin Leavitt had a season-high nine tackles, junior LB Suli Tamaivena had a season-high eight tackles and junior NG Gasetoto Schuster added a career-high six tackles and his first career forced fumble.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 25-26 --- at Colorado Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s golf team continues its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 25-26, when it competes in the Colorado Invitational.
16th/19 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State finished the Air Forced-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational in 16th place at 21-over 885 (292-300-293). Wyoming won the 19-team tournament with a 29-under 835 (284-270-281) and the Cowboys’ John Murdock took medalist honors at 14-under 202 (67-65-70). For USU, senior Braxton Miller led the Aggies as he tied for 56th place at 5-over 221 (72-74-75). Freshman Colten Cordingley had the best round of the day for Utah State on Sunday with a 2-under 70 to finish the tournament tied for 74th place at 8-over 224 (78-76-70). Sophomore Hayden Eckert tied for 79th place at 9-over 225 (77-75-73), and sophomore Brock Stanger (76-75-75) and sophomore Andy Hess (67-78-81) both tied for 84th place at 10-over.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Sept. 21 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 23 --- FRESNO STATE, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (8-4, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017 season this week as it begins Mountain West play with a pair of home matches as it hosts San Diego State (6-7, 0-0 MW) on Thursday, Sept. 21, at 7 p.m. and Fresno State (5-7, 0-0 MW) on Saturday, Sept. 23, at 1 p.m. USU is 6-11-1 all-time against the Aztecs and 14-14 all-time against the Bulldogs. Both matches will be steamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos.
W, 3-0 --- at Weber State
W, 3-1 --- at Southern Utah
• Utah State posted a 2-0 road record last week with in-state victories at Weber State (3-0) and at Southern Utah (3-1). Against the Wildcats, senior middle Carly Lenzen hit a season-high .588 with 12 kills on 17 attempts and only two errors, while senior outside Lauren Anderson led the Aggies with 17 kills. Overall, USU hit .292 (47-16-106) during the match to WSU’s .147 (35-19-109). Against the Thunderbirds, senior opposite Kayla DeCoursey recorded a career-high-tying 17 kills and junior libero Tasia Taylor recorded a career-high 28 digs as USU recorded a season-high 84 digs during the match. USU hit .236 (58-20-161) on the night to Southern Utah’s .163 (49-22-166).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Sept. 29 --- at Lehigh Invitational, 7:30 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams continue their 2017 season on Friday, Sept. 29, at the Lehigh-hosted Paul Short Run at 7:30 a.m. (MT).
W: 1/5; M: 2/5 --- at BYU Autumn Classic
• Utah State cross country continued its 2017 season at the BYU-hosted Autumn Classic last week. The No. 30-ranked women’s team placed first with 23 points, upsetting No. 10 BYU and finishing ahead of Weber State, Dixie State and Westminster. The men’s team placed second behind No. 6 BYU and ahead of Weber State, Dixie State and Westminster. On the women’s side, junior Alyssa Snyder won her second race in a row, finishing the 3-mile run in 16:28.0. Senior Kashley Carter took third (16:54.8) and junior Cierra Simmons placed fourth (16:55.2). Seniors Tori Parkinson and Kelsey Yamauchi-Richins placed sixth (16:59.9) and ninth (17:10.0), respectively, to round out USU’s top-10 finishers. On the men’s side, senior Dillon Maggard placed second in the 4-mile run with a time of 19:26.8. Also finishing in the top-20 were a trio of sophomores. Luke Beattie placed 14th (19:53.7), J.D. Thorne took 15th (19:54.2) and James Withers placed 20th (20:03.0).
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 22 --- at San José State, 3 p.m. (MT)
Sun., Sept. 24 --- at Fresno State, 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) opens Mountain West competition this weekend with a pair of road matches. The Aggies will play at San José State (3-4-0, 0-0-0 MW) on Friday, Sept, 22, at 3 p.m. (MT), followed by a match at Fresno State (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) on Sunday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m. (MT). All-time, USU is 9-2-2 against the Spartans and 5-8-3 against the Bulldogs. Both matches will be streamed on the Mountain West network, available at utahstateaggies.com/watch.
W, 2-1 --- at Eastern Michigan
W, 3-0 --- at Oakland (Mich.)
• Utah State posted a 2-0 road record last week, as it closed non-conference competition with a 2-1 win at Eastern Michigan and a 3-0 win at Oakland. Against the Eagles, freshman midfielder Ashley Cardozo scored both goals, scoring in the 65th minute on a 20-yard shot, and again in the 82nd minute on a free kick. Senior goalkeeper Sara Cobb tallied two saves, allowing one goal in the final 15 seconds of the match. Against the Golden Grizzlies, three Aggies scored, with a double-assist on each goal. Sophomore midfielder Kanyan Ward put the Aggies on the board in the 13th minute, with assists from senior forward Bailee Hammond and Cardozo. Junior midfielder Jordyn Chung-Hoon added a goal in the 65th minute, assisted by Cardozo and senior forward Wesley Hamblin. Sophomore forward Alecia Robinson had the final goal of the day in the 69th minute, with assists from Hamblin and Chung-Hoon. Cobb made the start at Oakland, with junior Grace McGuire also seeing her first action of the season. Together, the pair made four saves, while giving the Aggies their fourth shutout of the season. On the week, USU took 33 shots with 18 on goal, while the Aggies’ opponents combined for 19 shots with seven on goal. Cobb and McGuire combined for six saves on the weekend, allowing just one goal.
Contact: Ashley Springer - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 29-1 --- at Idaho State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis continues its 2017 fall season next weekend at the Idaho State Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 29-Oct. 1.
NTS --- at Midland (Texas) Invitational
• Utah State men’s tennis competed at the Midland (Texas) Invitational last weekend and was led by senior Jaime Barajas, who won the singles consolation bracket with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over junior teammate Samuel Serrano. With the win, Barajas moved to the No. 1 spot all-time in school history in singles wins with 68. During the tournament, Barajas went 4-1 in singles play, Serrano went 3-1 in singles play, sophomore Sergiu Bucur went 3-2 in singles and senior Andrew Nakajima posted a 2-3 singles record. Barajas and Nakajima advanced to the doubles semifinals where they lost 6-4 and had a tournament record of 2-1. Serrano and Bucur went 0-1 in doubles play.
Contact: Ashley Springer - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sun., Sept. 20-24 --- at ITA Milwaukee Classic, All Day
Fri.-Sun., Sept. 22-24 --- at Idaho State Invite, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis begins its 2017 fall season this weekend at two separate tournaments as it will compete in the ITA Milwaukee Classic from Wednesday through Sunday, Sept. 20-24, and at the Idaho State Invitational from Friday through Sunday, Sept. 22-24.
• Utah State women’s tennis returns after finishing 13-11 overall and 2-3 in the Mountain West during the 2016-17 season. The Aggies return six letterwinners in seniors Sabrina Demerath and Maggie O’Meara, junior Jenna Kane, and sophomores Sophia Haleas, Hannah Jones and Lucy Octave. Newcomers include sophomore Rhoda Tanui and freshman Sasha Pisareva and Alex Taylor. The Aggies look to replace the second-winningest player in USU history as they lost Nini Guensler due to graduation.
Utah State’s Dax...
Utah State junior tight end Dax Raymond has been named to the 2018 John Mackey Award Watch List, ...07/20/2018
Steve Johnson Elite...
The 2018-19 slate of Steve Johnson Elite Softball Experience camps is set to begin on Saturday,...07/19/2018
Utah State Track & Field...
Utah State head track & field coach Matt Ingebritsen has announced the addition of former Montana...07/19/2018
Utah State's Mountain West ...
Utah State's Mountain West football game at Hawai'i on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, will be televised ...07/18/2018
Utah State’s Tylee...
Utah State’s Tylee Newman-Skinner was awarded an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship, it was...07/18/2018
Utah State Leads the...
LOGAN, Utah - The Mountain West announced its 2017-18 Scholar-Athlete Award recipients on Tuesday...07/17/2018
Utah State Has 95 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah - The Mountain West announced its spring all-academic teams on Tuesday and Utah State...07/17/2018
Utah State's Jacoby Wildman...
Utah State junior defensive end Jacoby Wildman is one of 169 college football players from across...07/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear