WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 21, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Oct. 3 --- COLORADO STATE, TBA
• Utah State’s football team (1-2, 0-0) continues its 2015 season next weekend as it begins Mountain West play at home against Colorado State (1-2, 0-0) on Saturday, Oct. 3, in its annual Homecoming game. USU is 32-37-2 all-time against the Rams, including a 17-19-1 home record.
L, 17-31 --- at Washington
• Washington scored the first 10 points of the game and Utah State could never recover as the Huskies posted a 31-17 home win last weekend. Freshman QB Jake Browning completed 22-of-31 passes for 368 yards with three touchdowns and one interception for Washington, which racked up 442 yards of total offense. Redshirt senior QB Chuckie Keeton was 17-of-33 passing for 171 yards and two interceptions for USU, which gained just 254 yards of offense. Senior WR Hunter Sharp had six catches for 74 yards, and also made a touchdown-saving tackle that ultimately led to a score by the Aggies. Defensively, junior LB Nick Vigil led the Aggies with nine tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Senior LB Torrey Green set career highs in tackles (7) and tackles for loss (3.0), and tied his career-high in sacks (1.0), while senior CB Deshane Hines also had a career high in tackles with seven, to go along with a forced fumble. Senior LB LT Filiaga tallied seven tackles, as well. Overall, the Aggies recorded 7.0 tackles for loss and forced three total turnovers as senior CB Tyler Floyd recovered a fumble, junior FS Devin Centers intercepted a pass, and redshirt freshman FS Jontrell Rocquemore returned a fumble forced by senior LB Kyler Fackrell 97 yards for a touchdown in what is the second-longest fumble return in school history. Sophomore RB LaJuan Hunt led the Aggies’ ground attack with 40 yards on 13 carries.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Sept. 25 --- NEW MEXICO, 4 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 27 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (5-3-1, 0-0) continues its 2015 season this week as it begins Mountain West play with a pair of home matches against New Mexico (2-5-0, 0-0) on Friday, Sept. 25 at 4 p.m., and against defending conference champion San Diego State (4-3-0, 0-0) on Sunday, Sept. 27 at 1 p.m. USU is 1-0-2 all-time against the Lobos and 0-3-1 all-time against the Aztecs. USU is 8-9-2 all-time in conference openers and has not started league play at home since 2008.
W, 2-0 --- at Utah
• Utah State posted a 2-0 road win at Utah last week in its only match. It was USU’s first-ever win at Ute Field and the team’s first win against the Utes since 2012. Junior midfielder Katie Flynn put the Aggies on the board in the 35th minute with a goal assisted by sophomore midfielder Wesley Hamblin. In the 84th minute, USU extended its advantage as junior forward Jessica Brooksby found the back of the net on a goal assisted by Flynn. Senior goalkeeper Jeannie Woller tallied a career-best 13 saves, which are the most by an Aggie since 1998.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Sept. 24 --- at #15 Colorado State, 7 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 26 --- at Wyoming, 6:30 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (4-10, 0-0) continues its 2015 season this week as it begins Mountain West play with a pair of road matches at No. 15 Colorado State (7-3, 0-0) on Thursday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m., and at Wyoming (10-2, 0-0) on Saturday, Sept. 26 at 6:30 p.m. USU is 14-21 all-time against the Rams and 16-14 all-time against the Cowgirls.
W, 3-2 --- UTAH VALLEY
at Northern Colorado Classic
L, 0-3 --- at Northern Colorado
L, 1-3 --- vs. Indiana, Greeley, Colo.
W, 3-1 --- vs. Eastern Kentucky, Greeley, Colo.
• Utah State posted a 2-2 record last week as it defeated Utah Valley (3-2) at home and then went 1-2 at the Northern Colorado Classic as it lost to the host Bears (3-0) and Indiana (3-1), before defeating Eastern Kentucky (3-1). Against the Wolverines, sophomore OH Rachel Gale posted a career-high 27 kills, hitting a career-high .365 (27-8-52), and added 12 digs for her second double-double of the season. USU hit .194 (65-33-165) in the match and UVU hit .195 (54-22-164). Against the Bears, Gale had 14 kills as USU hit .133 (33-20-98) and UNC hit .248 (43-17-105). Against the Hoosiers, junior OH Kaylie Kamalu had 14 kills as USU hit .202 (39-16-114) and IU hit .225 (61-30-138). And against the Colonels, Kamalu had 20 kills and Gale added 17 kills as she was named to the all-tournament team. USU finished the match hitting .204 (51-22-142) and EKU hit .154 (53-30-149).
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Sept. 26 --- at Minnesota Invitational, 11:20 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2015 season this weekend as they travel to Minneapolis, Minn., to compete in the Minnesota-hosted Roy Griak Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 26 at 11:20 a.m. (MT).
M: 1/4; W: 2/5 --- at Montana State Invitational
• Utah State’s men’s cross country team was spurred on by junior Colby Wilson, who placed first with a time of 26:05.03, as the Aggies pulled away from the competition by recording 33 points to win the 36th annual Montana State/Bozeman Running Company Invitational last weekend. Finishing behind Wilson was junior Ben Johnston, who placed fifth (26:16.76), followed by sophomore Justin Sheets, who crossed the line sixth with a time of 26:21.86. Capping off the men’s top-five placers was freshman Jonathan Stutz with a time of 26:32.72 and a 10th-place finish, followed by fellow freshman Kody Gould, who placed 11th with a time of 26:34.05. On the women’s side, the Aggie effort was once again sparked by freshman Kashley Carter, who took second with a time of 17:26.47. Utah State’s women recorded 39 points and a second-place team finish, narrowly finishing behind Utah, which placed first with 35 points. Following Carter for the Aggies was sophomore Kelsey Yamauchi, who placed fifth with a time of 17:35.18. Senior Jacqueline Winterton took ninth with a time of 17:45.04, while junior Tori Parkinson finished 11th (17:50.80) and sophomore Caroline Weiler was 12th (17:51.69).
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Sept. 21-22 --- at Notre Dame Classic, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team continues its fall schedule this week as it travels to South Bend, Ind., to compete in the Notre Dame Classic on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 21-22.
10th/16 --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State senior Seokwon Jeon shot an even-par 72 during his final round to finish tied for 15th-place at the 47th annual Air Force-hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Golf Invitational with a 1-under 215 for his eighth career under-par finish and 13th career top-20 placing. Utah State finished 10th in the 16-team field at 15-over 879 (292-287-300) as Mountain West foe Colorado State won the team championship with a 15-under 849 (286-282-281). Colorado’s Philip Juel-Berg took medalist honors with a 12-under 204 (69-67-68) to win the tournament by five strokes. Jeon, who now has 26 rounds under par and 10 rounds in the 60’s during his Utah State career, began the tournament with a 2-over 74 before carding a 3-under 69 during his second 18 holes, followed by his even-par round of 72. USU sophomore Braxton Miller finished tied for 35th-place at 5-over 221 (71-75-75), as did junior McCoy Willey (74-70-77). Junior Eli Rogers placed tied for 42nd at 6-over 222 (73-73-76) and fellow junior Tanner Jenson finished in 75th-place at 13-over 229 (76-76-77).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 2-4 --- at Arizona Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis continues its 2015 fall season next weekend as it competes in the Arizona Invitational Friday through Sunday, Oct. 2-4.
NTS --- at BYU Invitational
NTS --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State competed at two tournaments last week, the BYU Invitational and the Air Force Invitational. At the BYU Invitational, freshman Alice Patch posted a 1-3 singles record, and freshman Jenna Kane posted an 0-3 singles record. The duo also combined for a 1-1 doubles record. At the Air Force Invitational, junior Ekaterina Tugarinova went a perfect 3-0 in singles, junior Lexi Turley and freshman Monika Van de Vondel both went 2-1 in singles, sophomore Sabrina Demerath posted a 1-2 singles record, and junior Nini Guensler and sophomore Maggie O'Meara both went 0-3 in singles. In doubles, O’Meara and Van de Vondel went 2-1, Demerath and Guensler went 1-2, and Turley and Tugarinova went 0-3.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sun., Oct. 1-4 --- at Boise State Invitational, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis continues its 2015 fall season next weekend at the Boise State-hosted Dar Walters Fall Classic Thursday through Sunday, Oct. 1-4.
NTS --- at Montana State Invitational
• Utah State competed at the Montana State-hosted Bobcat Invitational last weekend and freshman Luis Lopez claimed the Blue Draw singles title, while Lopez and sophomore Andrew Nakajima won the doubles bracket. Overall, Lopez posted a 4-0 record in singles, freshman Jonas Maier went 3-1 in singles, freshman Dylan Ihmels went 2-1 in singles and Nakajima went 1-2 in singles. In doubles, Nakajima and Lopez went a perfect 4-0, while Maier and Ihmels won the doubles back draw with a 3-1 record.
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
USU Volleyball Opening...09/19/2017
Utah State Women’s...
Utah State women’s tennis will begin its fall tournament schedule Thursday, as two Aggies...09/20/2017
Match Notes: Aggie Soccer...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) opens Mountain West competition this weekend with a pair of...09/20/2017
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear