LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - OCTOBER 10, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Oct. 22 --- FRESNO STATE, 8:30 p.m. (CBSSN)
• Utah State’s football team (2-4, 0-3 MW) continues its 2016 season next week with a Mountain West home game against Fresno State (1-5, 0-2 MW) on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 8:30 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 11-17-1 all-time against the Bulldogs, including an 8-4 home record.
L, 24-31 --- at Colorado State
• Junior RB Tonny Lindsey, Jr. rushed for a career-high 137 yards and junior QB Kent Myers rushed for two touchdowns – both in the first half – but Utah State (2-4, 0-3 MW) came up short in a 31-24 loss at Colorado State (3-3, 1-1) last weekend. Myers rushed for 50 yards and the two scores on 15 carries, while redshirt freshman WR Gerold Bright scored on a 41-yard run to give Utah State a 7-3 lead with 11:28 remaining in the first quarter. After CSU quarterback Collin Hill threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Olabisi Johnson to give the Rams a 10-7 lead, Myers scored from four yards out to put the Aggies back on top, 14-10 late in the first quarter. USU increased its lead to 21-10 with 11:15 left in the second quarter following a 14-yard touchdown run by Myers. Senior PK Brock Warren made it 24-10 at the break when he made a 36-yard field goal with 1:09 remaining on the clock. However, the Rams erased the Aggies’ two-touchdown deficit in the third quarter as Michael Gallup caught a 60-yard touchdown pass from Hill and Izzy Matthews scored on a 1-yard touchdown run to knot the game at 24-apiece. CSU went ahead for good courtesy of another touchdown run by Matthews, this time from 10 yards out, to make it 31-24 with 10:33 remaining in the game. Freshman WR Rayshad Lewis led the Aggies in receiving with a career-high-tying seven catches for a career-best 99 yards. Senior TE Wyatt Houston caught four passes for 24 yards. Sophomore FS Jontrell Rocquemore led the USU defense with a career-high 10 tackles and redshirt senior NG Travis Seefeldt added 10 stops and 2.0 tackles for loss, both career highs. MEN’S TENNIS
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Thur.-Sun., Oct. 13-16 --- at ITA Oracle Masters, Malibu, Calif., All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis continues its fall season this week when junior Jaime Barajas competes at the Oracle/ITA Masters in Malibu, Calif., from Thursday through Sunday, Oct. 13-16.
NTS --- at ITA All-American Invitational, Tulsa, Okla.
NTS --- at Boise State Fall Invitational
• Utah State men’s tennis claimed a pair of titles at the Boise State-hosted Dar Walters Fall Classic last weekend. Junior Kai Wehnelt won the Flight A singles title and then teamed up with sophomore Samuel Serrano to claim the doubles title. Overall, Wehnelt went 5-0 in singles, Serrano went 2-1, senior Daniel Echeverry went 2-1, junior Andrew Nakajima went 3-2 and sophomore Austin Bass went 0-3. In doubles, Wehnelt and Serrano went 5-0, while Bass and Nakajima went 1-1. At the ITA All-American Invitational in Tulsa, Okla., junior Jaime Barajas lost a pair of three-set matches.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Oct. 14 --- at New Mexico, 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 16 --- at San Diego State, 1 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (9-5-0, 5-1-0 MW) continues its 2016 season this weekend with a pair of Mountain West road matches at New Mexico (6-6-2, 2-4-0 MW) on Friday, Oct. 14, at 7:30 p.m., and at San Diego State (5-6-2, 3-1-2 MW) on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 1 p.m. (MT). Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 1-2-2 all-time against the Lobos and 0-4-1 all-time against the Aztecs.
W, 4-0 --- FRESNO STATE
W, 2-1 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE
• Utah State posted a 2-0 Mountain West home record last week with a 4-0 win against Fresno State and a 2-1 win against San José State. Senior forward Jessica Brooksby led the Aggie offense through the weekend, scoring three goals and adding two assists between the two matches. Six different USU players contributed to the scoring against the Bulldogs as senior midfielder Jayne Robison-Merrill, junior forward Wesley Hamblin, junior defender Rachelle Warner and Brooksby all scored, with assists coming from Brooksby (2) and freshman forward Alecia Robinson. Against the Spartans, Brooksby scored both goals, with one assist from Warner. She put the Aggies on the board with a successful penalty kick in the 30th minute and scored the game-winner in the 86th minute. On the week, USU took 31 shots with 12 on goal, while the Aggies’ opponents combined for 16 shots with four on goal. Redshirt sophomore Grace McGuire played the full weekend in the net, tallying three saves and earning her fifth solo shutout of the season in the win against the Bulldogs.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sun., Oct. 12-16 --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M. All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis concludes its 2016 fall season this week at the ITA Regionals held in Albuquerque, N.M., from Wednesday through Sunday, Oct. 12-16.
NTS --- at Air Force Invitational
• Utah State women’s tennis sent eight student-athletes to the Air Force Invitational two weeks ago. Overall, the Aggies won three daily doubles titles as senior Nini Guensler and junior Sabrina Demerath went 3-1 as a pair, Guensler and freshman Sophia Haleas went 1-0 as a pair, and senior Ekaterina Tugarinova and freshman Hannah Jones went 3-1 as a pair. Other duos included Tugarinova and junior Maggie O’Meara (1-1), sophomore Monika Van de Vondel and freshman Lucy Octave (1-3), Van de Vondel and O’Meara (1-1), Demerath and Octave (1-1), Haleas and Jones (1-1) and Haleas and O’Meara (1-1). In singles, Haleas went a perfect 3-0 in round robin play, while Guensler posted a 2-1 record with a loss in her flight’s final. Tugarinova went 1-2, Van de Vondel posted a 2-1 record, as did Demerath, Octave, Jones and O’Meara. Overall this fall, the Aggies have recorded 53 singles wins, 30 doubles wins and 83 total wins, all of which are program records for fall tournament play.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Oct. 13 --- NEW MEXICO, 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 15 --- UNLV, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (7-10, 2-4 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of Mountain West matches as it hosts New Mexico (10-9, 1-5 MW) on Thursday, Oct. 13, at 7 p.m., and UNLV (16-2, 5-1 MW) on Saturday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 10-16 all-time against the Lobos and 2-6 all-time against the Rebels.
W, 3-1 --- at Air Force
L, 0-3 --- at Boise State
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West road record last week with a 3-1 win at Air Force and a 3-0 loss at Boise State. Against the Falcons, junior middle Carly Lenzen hit a career-high .611 with 12 kills on 18 attempts and only one error. Overall, USU hit .289 (52-15-128) to the Falcons’ .174 (56-30-149). Against the Broncos, senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith led the Aggies with 12 kills and was joined in double figures by junior outside Lauren Anderson and junior opposite Kayla DeCoursey with 10 kills apiece. Overall, USU hit .198 (45-21-121) to BSU’s .234 (48-19-124).
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Oct. 15 --- at Pre-Nationals, Terre Haute, Ind., 10 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Saturday, Oct. 15, when they travel to Terre Haute, Ind., to compete in the Pre-Nationals Meet.
M: 2nd/3; W: 2nd/4 --- USU REEDER MEMORIAL
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams further developed their student-athletes at its own Steve T. Reeder Memorial last weekend. USU’s women finished second out of four teams with 46 points, while the Aggie men placed second out of three teams with 50 points. In the opening women’s race, sophomore Megan Ryan was the top finisher for USU as she placed 10th with a time of 19:07.95. After Ryan came junior Maggie Hallerud in 17th (19:29.25), freshman Josie Givens in 19th (19:34.33), senior Selina Ramsey in 20th (19:36.06) and freshman Sydney Jacobs, who placed 22nd (19:50.73). On the men’s side, sophomore Alan Borschel placed 18th with a time of 29:28.65 as USU’s top finisher. Finishing behind Borschel was junior Spencer Fehlberg in 26th (30:13.70), sophomore Andrew Rummens in 28th (30:25.81), freshman James Withers in 31st (30:34.30) and junior Tyler Roberts, who placed 32nd (30:34.58).
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Oct. 10-11 --- at Notre Dame Classic, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will continue its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 10-11, when it competes in the Notre Dame-hosted Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic.
6th/10 --- at Utah Invitational
• Freshman Hayden Eckert shot a final round 1-under 70 to finish tied for seventh at 2-over-par 144 at the Utah-hosted OGIO Invitational last week. The tournament was limited to just a 36-hole event after the first round was suspended and eventually cancelled due to winter weather in the area. Utah State finished in sixth place out of 10 teams with a 21-over 589 as it began the tournament with a 16-over 300, before carding a combined 5-over 289 during its second round to move up one spot. For the Aggies, it is its third-straight top nine tournament finish this fall. Lamar won the team title with a 9-over 577 (289-288), while Lamar’s Zander Gous (71-68) and Boise State’s Brian Humphreys (70-69) tied for medalist honors at 3-under 139. Eckert, who began the tournament by carding a 3-over 74, recorded his best-ever collegiate finish and best-ever round during his final 18 holes as his 1-under 70 is his first-career round under par. Senior Eli Rogers also posted his best-ever collegiate finish for Utah State as he tied for 13th place at 4-over 146 (71-75), while fellow senior Tanner Jenson tied for 18th place at 6-over 148 (77-71). Junior Braxton Miller tied for 29th place at 9-over 151 (78-73) and freshman Chase Lansford tied for 45th place at 15-over 157 (79-78).
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Utah State to Host San...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball will host San Diego State on Kirby Court at the Wayne Estes...09/20/2017
USU Women's Cross Country...
In the latest U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) regional poll...09/18/2017
Transcript: Utah State...
Utah State head football coach Matt Wells, along with junior wide receiver Ron’quavion...09/18/2017
Tasia Taylor Named Mountain...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State junior libero Tasia Taylor has been named the Mountain West Defensive...09/18/2017
Utah State Athletics...
Utah State Athletics will offer a season ticket package for the 2017-18 women's basketball season.09/18/2017
Aggies in the NFL - Week 2
Twelve former Aggies are on active NFL rosters. See how they did in week two.09/18/2017
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's fall sports continue this week with football, soccer, women's tennis and volleyball ...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear