WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - OCTOBER 12, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Fri., Oct. 16 --- #21 BOISE STATE, 7 p.m. (CBSSN)
• Utah State’s football team (3-2, 2-0) continues its 2015 season this weekend with a Mountain West home game against No. 21 Boise State (5-1, 2-0) on Friday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 4-15 all-time against the Broncos, including a 2-7 home record.
W, 56-14 --- at Fresno State
• Junior Devante Mays rushed for a career-high 92 yards and three touchdowns, while sophomore LaJuan Hunt added two scores, to lead Utah State to a 56-14 victory at Fresno State last weekend. The two running backs combined for 133 yards rushing and five scores as the Aggies (3-2, 2-0 Mountain West) won their second straight game and racked up a season-high 482 yards of total offense, including 201 yards on the ground. Utah State had seven total rushing touchdowns on the night as sophomore QB Damion Hobbs and redshirt freshman RB Justen Hervey each had a 5-yard score in the fourth quarter to give the Aggies their final margin of victory. Sophomore QB Kent Myers was 18-of-25 passing for a career-best 260 yards and one touchdown for Utah State, which snapped a six-game losing streak to the Bulldogs (1-5, 0-2). The Aggies also ended a seven-game road losing streak in the series. Senior WR Hunter Sharp caught six passes for 99 yards and fellow senior WR Devonte Robinson added four receptions for 80 yards, including a 44-yard touchdown that gave the Aggies a 29-7 lead at halftime. Junior LB Nick Vigil led Utah State’s defensive effort with nine tackles, 1.0 sacks, and a forced fumble. The Aggies finished with 5.0 sacks as part of their 10.0 tackles for loss on the night. Fresno State’s Kilton Anderson was 10-of-23 passing for 112 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions. Senior Marteze Waller had 26 carries for 70 yards and a score. Overall, FS had just 194 yards of total offense (112 - passing, 82 - rushing).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Oct. 16 --- AIR FORCE, 3 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 18 --- COLORADO COLLEGE, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (7-7-1, 2-4-0) continues its 2015 season this week with a pair of Mountain West matches as it hosts Air Force (4-9-1, 2-3-1) on Friday, Oct. 16 at 3 p.m., and Colorado College (6-8-1, 4-2-0) on Sunday, Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. USU is 3-1-1 all-time against the Falcons and 1-1-2 all-time against the Tigers.
L, 1-3 --- at Nevada
L, 0-3 --- at UNLV
• Utah State posted an 0-2-0 Mountain West road record last week with a 3-1 loss at Nevada and a 3-0 loss at UNLV. Junior midfielder Jayne Robison scored the lone goal of the weekend, putting the Aggies on the board in the 62nd minute against the Wolf Pack. Senior Jeannie Woller played the entirety of both matches for the Aggies, tallying 12 saves with a .667 save percentage. Overall, the Aggies took 25 shots on the weekend as compared to 32 for their opponents.
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Sat., Oct. 17 --- at Pre-Nationals, Louisville, Ky., 10:30 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2015 season this weekend as they travel to Louisville, Ky., to compete in a Pre-Nationals meet on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 10:30 a.m. (MT).
NTS --- UTAH STATE INVITATIONAL
• Utah State cross country teams hosted the Utah State Invitational last weekend at the Steve and Dona Reeder Cross Country Course and was paced by a pair of freshmen in Andrew Rummens on the men’s side and Shannon Maloney on the women’s side. Rummens placed 15th with a time of 20:36, while Maloney placed 14th with a time of 18:35. Finishing behind Rummens was sophomore Dillon Maggard, who placed 16th with a time of 20:39. Sophomore Tyler Roberts then finished 20th (20:51), followed by freshman Spencer Fehlberg, who placed 25th (20:59) and freshman Kaden Winter, who crossed the line 26th (21:11). Behind Maloney was fellow freshman Sara Hamberger, who finished 20th, recording a time of 18:45. Freshman Miranda O'Very placed 22nd (18:49), followed by junior Karlee Deeter, who finished 28th (19:23) and sophomore Maggie Hallerud, who placed 29th (19:26).
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Oct. 15 --- at San Diego State, 7 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Oct. 17 --- at Nevada, 2 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s volleyball team (5-15, 1-5) continues its 2015 season this week with a pair of Mountain West road matches at San Diego State (5-13, 2-4) on Thursday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. (MT), and at Nevada (7-11, 2-4) on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 2 p.m. (MT). USU is 5-8-1 all-time against the Aztecs and 19-20 all-time against the Wolf Pack.
L, 0-3 --- BOISE STATE
W, 3-0 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West home record last week with a 3-0 loss to Boise State and a 3-0 win against San José State. Against the Broncos, sophomore outside hitter Rachel Gale had 12 kills and eight digs to lead the team. USU finished the match hitting .237 (38-11-114) and BSU hit .298 (52-16-121). Against the Spartans, junior outside hitter Kaylie Kamalu had 11 kills, while Gale added six kills and 13 digs. USU finished the match hitting a season-high .309 (42-8-110) and SJSU hit .116 (35-22-112).
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Oct. 19-20 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will conclude its 2015 fall season on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 19-20 when it travels to Simi Valley, Calif., to compete in the Cal State Northridge-hosted Bill Cullum Invitational.
2nd/13 --- at Utah Invitational
• Utah State senior Seokwon Jeon shot a final round 6-under-par 65 to win the OGIO Utah Invitational with a collegiate-best 12-under 201 (66-70-65) last week. For Jeon, it is the third time in his collegiate career that he has claimed medalist honors as he also won the OGIO Utah Invitational in 2013 with a 7-under 206 (67-71-68) and tied for first at the BYU-hosted Cougar Classic in the spring of 2015 with a 5-under 211 (71-70-70). The three tournament titles by Jeon are the second-most in Utah State history, trailing Jay Don Blake’s school-record 15 tournament wins from 1979-81. Furthermore, Jeon’s 12-under 201 (66-70-65) is the lowest 54-hole score for an Aggie since Blake shot a school-best 18-under 195 (67-65-63) at the USU-hosted Ev Thorpe Classic in the fall of 1979. Utah State finished the 13-team Utah Invitational in second-place with a school-record 15-under-par 837 (278-279-280). During the final round, USU’s 4-under 280 was the best team score in the tournament field. For Utah State, it is its best tournament finish since winning the Weber State-hosted Battle in the Tetons in Victor, Idaho to start its 2014 fall season. USU has now finished in the top 10 in all four tournaments it has competed in this fall, including a pair of top-five finishes. Jeon began the Utah Invitational by shooting a 5-under 66 and followed that up with a 1-under 70. He then concluded the tournament with a season-best 6-under 65 for his 12-under 201, winning the tournament by two strokes. For Jeon, he now has 30 rounds under par and 13 rounds in the 60s during his Utah State career. Joining Jeon at the top of the leaderboard was junior Tanner Jenson, who shot a collegiate-best 9-under 204 (68-66-70) to finish third for his second-best tournament finish. For Jenson, it is the first time in his collegiate career that he has carded back-to-back rounds in the 60s, giving him three such rounds this year and five in his career, which included his season-low 5-under 66 during his second 18 holes. Sophomore Braxton Miller finished the tournament tied for 18th at 1-under 212 (71-69-72), while junior McCoy Willey placed 39th at 7-over 220 (73-74-73) and freshman Keifer Higham finished tied for 59th at 17-over 230 (79-77-74). Miller’s 2-under 69 during his second 18 holes was his season-best round, while his 1-under 212 is his best-ever tournament finish.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sun., Oct. 14-18 --- at ITA Regionals, Las Vegas, Nev., All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis will conclude its 2015 fall season this week as it travels to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete in the ITA Regionals from Wednesday through Sunday, Oct. 14-18.
NTS --- at Arizona Invitational
• Utah State competed at the Arizona Invitational last weekend and was led by freshman Jenna Kane, who went 3-1 in singles play, while juniors Nini Guensler and Ekaterina Tugarinova, sophomores Sabrina Demerath and Maggie O’Meara all posted a 2-2 record, and freshman Monika Van de Vondel posted a 2-1 record. In doubles, Guensler and Tugarinova went 1-2, Demerath and Van de Vondel went 1-3, and O’Meara and Kane went 2-1.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sun., Oct. 21-25 --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M., All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis will conclude its 2015 fall season next week when it travels to Albuquerque, N.M., to compete in the ITA Regionals from Wednesday through Sunday, Oct. 21-25.
NTS --- at Boise State Invitational
• Utah State competed at the Boise State-hosted Dar Walters Fall Classic last weekend and was led by sophomore Jaime Barajas, who advanced to the singles finals before losing in three sets to the tournament’s top seed. Overall in singles, Barajas went 5-1, freshman Jonas Maier went 4-1, freshman Samuel Serrano went 3-1, juniors Daniel Echeverry and Jack Swindells, and freshmen Javier Araya, Romai Ugarte all went 2-1, freshman Luis Lopez went 1-1 and freshman Dylan Ihmels went 0-2. In doubles, Lopez and Nakajima went 3-2, Barajas and Swindells went 2-1, Echeverry and Maier went 2-2 and the teams of Ihmels and Serrano, and Araya and Ugarte went 0-2.
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
USU Track & Field Opens...
Utah State's track & field teams are set to open the outdoor season this weekend at the UC Irvine...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear