LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - OCTOBER 17, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Oct. 22 --- FRESNO STATE, 8:30 p.m. (CBSSN)
• Utah State’s football team (2-4, 0-3 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a Mountain West home game against Fresno State (1-6, 0-3 MW) on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 8:30 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 11-17-1 all-time against the Bulldogs, including an 8-4 home record.
L, 24-31 --- at Colorado State
• Junior RB Tonny Lindsey, Jr. rushed for a career-high 137 yards and junior QB Kent Myers rushed for two touchdowns – both in the first half – but Utah State (2-4, 0-3 MW) came up short in a 31-24 loss at Colorado State (3-3, 1-1) last weekend. Myers rushed for 50 yards and the two scores on 15 carries, while redshirt freshman WR Gerold Bright scored on a 41-yard run to give Utah State a 7-3 lead with 11:28 remaining in the first quarter. After CSU quarterback Collin Hill threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Olabisi Johnson to give the Rams a 10-7 lead, Myers scored from four yards out to put the Aggies back on top, 14-10 late in the first quarter. USU increased its lead to 21-10 with 11:15 left in the second quarter following a 14-yard touchdown run by Myers. Senior PK Brock Warren made it 24-10 at the break when he made a 36-yard field goal with 1:09 remaining on the clock. However, the Rams erased the Aggies’ two-touchdown deficit in the third quarter as Michael Gallup caught a 60-yard touchdown pass from Hill and Izzy Matthews scored on a 1-yard touchdown run to knot the game at 24-apiece. CSU went ahead for good courtesy of another touchdown run by Matthews, this time from 10 yards out, to make it 31-24 with 10:33 remaining in the game. Freshman WR Rayshad Lewis led the Aggies in receiving with a career-high-tying seven catches for a career-best 99 yards. Senior TE Wyatt Houston caught four passes for 24 yards. Sophomore FS Jontrell Rocquemore led the USU defense with a career-high 10 tackles and redshirt senior NG Travis Seefeldt added 10 stops and 2.0 tackles for loss, both career highs. MEN’S TENNIS
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Wed.-Sun., Oct. 19-23 --- at ITA Regionals, Las Vegas, Nev., All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis continues its 2016 fall season this week as it travels to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete in the ITA Mountain Regional Tournament from Wednesday-Sunday, Oct. 19-23.
NTS --- at ITA Oracle Masters, Malibu, Calif.
• Utah State men’s tennis junior Jaime Barajas competed last week at the Oracle/ITA Masters in Malibu, Calif. Barajas posted a 1-2 singles record and an 0-1 record in mixed doubles playing with College of Charleston women’s tennis player Liza Fieldsend.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Oct. 21 --- NEVADA, 3 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 23 --- at UNLV, 2 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (9-7-0, 5-3-0 MW) continues its 2016 season this weekend with a pair of Mountain West matches as it hosts Nevada (5-10-0, 2-6-0 MW) in its home finale on Friday, Oct. 21, at 3 p.m., and plays at UNLV (13-4-1, 6-1-1 MW) on Sunday, Oct. 23, at 2 p.m. (MT). Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 10-6-0 all-time against the Wolf Pack and 2-7-0 all-time against the Rebels.
L, 0-2 --- at New Mexico
L, 1-2 --- at San Diego State
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West road record last week, falling at New Mexico (2-0) and at San Diego State (2-1). After being shutout at UNM, USU scored first against the Aztecs. Junior forward Bailee Hammond scored the sole Aggie goal of the week in the 30th minute of play, assisted by junior forward Wesley Hamblin. On the week, USU took 13 shots with three on goal, while the Aggies’ opponents combined for 28 shots with 10 on goal. Sophomore Grace McGuire and senior Natalie Stoven split the time in the net, playing one match each. Together, the two tallied six saves.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Oct. 20 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 22 --- NEVADA, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (8-11, 3-5 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of Mountain West home matches as it hosts San Diego State (12-9, 4-3 MW) on Thursday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m., and Nevada (14-5, 5-2 MW) on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 1 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 5-11-1 all-time against the Aztecs and 21-21 all-time against the Wolf Pack.
W, 3-1 --- NEW MEXICO
L, 2-3 --- UNLV
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West home record last week with a 3-1 win against New Mexico and a 3-2 loss to UNLV. Against the Lobos, senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith recorded a double-double with a team-best 18 kills and a career-high 15 digs. In addition, sophomore middle Lauren O’Brien hit a season-best .550 (12-1-20) as Utah State hit .262 (60-22-145) overall to the Lobos’ .184 (50-22-152). Against the Rebels, junior outside Lauren Anderson led the team with a career-high 22 kills, while Kamalu-Smith added her second straight double-double with 15 kills and 11 digs. Overall, Utah State hit .289 (69-23-159) to the Rebels’ .317 (70-19-161).
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Oct. 28 --- at MW Championship, Boise Idaho, 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Friday, Oct. 28, when they travel to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Mountain West Championships. At last year’s MW Championships, USU’s women placed sixth and the men finished eighth.
M: 14th/40; W: 24th/42 --- at Pre-Nationals, Terre Haute, Ind.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams passed their final test before the conference championships last weekend, at the Indiana State-hosted Pre-National Invitational. No. 4 Oregon took home the top spot in the men’s team standings with 85 points, while Utah State placed 14th out of 40 teams with 454 points. On the women’s side, No. 2 Colorado won the team race with 93 points, while Utah State finished 24th out of 42 teams with 656 points. Junior Dillon Maggard continued to pace the men as he placed 11th with a time of 24:14.1. Senior Colby Wilson was the second finisher for the Aggies, crossing the line 52nd with a time of 24:53.9. Other Aggie finishers for the men include sophomore Adam Hendrickson in 93rd place (25:15.0), junior Tyler Roberts in 124th place (25:26.5) and freshman James Withers, who placed 180th (25:50.4). In the women’s race, sophomore Kashley Carter recorded her first finish of the season by placing 45th with a time of 20:57.7. Freshman Bailee Parker finished 61st with a time of 21:06.2. After Carter and Parker, came junior Kelsey Yamauchi in 150th (21:50.8), sophomore Cierra Simmons in 178th (22:00.7) and junior Tylee Newman-Skinner in 222nd (22:28.7) to round out the Aggies’ top-five finishers. Utah State also had men’s and women’s runners in the Open Races as junior Jackie Heaps finished 14th (22:27.7), while freshman Darren Harman placed sixth (25:46.7).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Nov. 11-13 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis will conclude its fall season at the Cal State Northridge Invitational on Friday through Sunday, Nov. 11-13.
NTS --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State women’s tennis competed last week at the ITA Mountain Region Tournament in Albuquerque, N.M. In singles, senior Nini Guensler went 1-2, junior Sabrina Demerath went 4-2, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel posted a 4-2 record and freshman Lucy Octave went 3-1. In doubles, Guensler and Demerath went 0-1, while Van de Vondel and Octave went 1-1.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Oct. 17-18 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will conclude its fall schedule on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 17-18, when it competes in the Cal State Northridge-hosted Bill Cullum Invitational.
6th/15 --- at Notre Dame Classic
• Junior Braxton Miller carded a career-low 3-under 67 during his final round to finish tied for sixth place with an even-par 210 at the Notre Dame-hosted Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic last week. For Miller, his even-par 210 is his best-ever 54-hole score as is his tie for sixth place finish, which happens to be his first-ever top-10 placing. Miller began the tournament by carding an even-par 70, followed by a 3-over 73 during his second 18 holes, before posting his career-low 3-under 67. Utah State began the final round tied for seventh place, but recorded the third-best round of the day with a 2-under 278, to move up one spot to finish sixth with a 16-over 856 (283-295-278) in the 15-team field. Overall, USU has now placed in the top nine in each of the four tournaments it has competed in this fall, including three top-six placings. In its four tournaments this fall, Utah State has had four different players shoot rounds in the 60’s, five golfers who have combined to shoot 10 rounds under par, and three golfers who have finished tournaments at even- or under-par. UTEP won the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic championship with a 5-under 835 (282-278-275), while Notre Dame’s Blake Barens took medalist honors with a 9-under-par 201 (66-67-68). Freshman Hayden Eckert had the best round of the tournament for USU as he carded a career-low 5-under 65 during his final 18 holes to finish tied for 20th place at 3-over 213 (71-77-65). For Eckert, his 5-under 65 was tied for the best round of the tournament, while his 3-over 213 is his best-ever 54-hole score. Senior Eli Rogers finished the tournament tied for 26th place at 5-over 215 (70-72-73) for his best-ever 54-hole score, while fellow senior Tanner Jenson tied for 47th place at 9-over 219 (73-73-73) and freshman Chase Lansford tied for 79th place at 19-over 229 (72-81-76).
USU Soccer Opening...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) is set to open Mountain West action this weekend, as it plays...09/21/2017
Utah State Sweeps Mountain ...
Utah State senior Dillon Maggard and junior Alyssa Snyder have been named the Mountain West Cross...09/19/2017
Utah State Beats Aztecs in ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball posted a 3-1 (21-25, 25-23, 25-14, 25-19) victory over San...09/21/2017
Utah State Women's Cross...
Utah State women's cross country moved up eight spots in the latest U.S. Track and Field and...09/19/2017
USU Volleyball Opening...09/19/2017
Utah State Women’s...
Utah State women’s tennis will begin its fall tournament schedule Thursday, as two Aggies...09/20/2017
Match Notes: Aggie Soccer...
Utah State soccer (5-2-1, 0-0-0 MW) opens Mountain West competition this weekend with a pair of...09/20/2017
Utah State’s Alyssa...
Utah State women’s cross country runner Alyssa Snyder was named the America First Credit...09/18/2017
Student-Athlete of the Week
Alyssa SnyderSport: Women's Cross Country
Class: JuniorAlyssa Snyder Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear