LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - OCTOBER 24, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Fri., Oct. 28 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 6 p.m. (CBSSN)
• Utah State’s football team (3-4, 1-3 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a Mountain West home game against San Diego State (6-1, 3-0 MW) on Friday, Oct. 28, at 6 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 1-11 all-time against the Aztecs, including a 0-3 home record.
W, 38-20 --- FRESNO STATE
• Junior QB Kent Myers passed for 188 yards and three touchdowns to three different receivers as Utah State won its first Mountain West game of the season with a 38-20 home victory against Fresno State last weekend. Myers was 17-of-29 passing and threw touchdowns of 21, 5 and 25 yards, respectively, to junior WR Braelon Roberts, senior TE Wyatt Houston and sophomore WR Ron’Quavion Tarver. It is the first time this season and fifth time in his career Myers has thrown at least three touchdowns in a game. Houston led the Aggies (3-4, 1-3 MW), who snapped a three-game losing streak, with a career-high five catches for 43 yards. While senior RB Devante Mays returned from injury and played briefly, it was junior RB Tonny Lindsey, Jr. that led Utah State’s rushing attack with a career-high 23 carries for 90 yards. Myers added 66 yards on just eight carries. The Aggies finished with 392 yards of total offense, including 204 on the ground and 188 through the air. Defensively, senior FS Devin Centers and senior LB Leki Uasike had 10 tackles apiece for Utah State. Uasike had eight of his tackles in the first quarter alone. Sophomore LB Chase Christiansen added a career-high nine tackles, while redshirt freshman CB Cameron Haney recorded a career-high eight tackles to go along with a career-best two pass breakups. Fresno State (1-7, 0-4) recorded 319 yards of offense.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Oct. 28-30 --- at San Diego Hidden Dual, All Day
• Utah State men’s tennis concludes its 2016 fall season this week at the San Diego Hidden Dual, held in San Diego, Calif., from Friday-Sunday, Oct. 28-30.
NTS --- at ITA Regionals, Las Vegas, Nev.
• Utah State men’s tennis competed at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Mountain Region Tournament last weekend in Las Vegas, Nev. Junior Kai Wehnelt became the first Aggie ever to reach the finals of the singles main draw as he posted a 5-1 record, with his lone loss coming in the finals. Senior Jack Swindells went 5-2 in singles, senior Daniel Echeverry posted a 4-2 mark, junior Jaime Barajas went 1-2, junior Andrew Nakajima posted a 2-2 record, sophomore Jonas Maier went 2-2, sophomore Samuel Serrano went 2-2 and sophomore Austin Bass went 0-2. In doubles, Swindells and Maier won the consolation draw with a 5-1 mark, Wehnelt and Barajas went 2-2, Echeverry and Bass went 3-2, and Nakajima and Serrano went 0-2.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Oct. 28 --- at Boise State, 4 p.m.
• Utah State’s soccer team (10-8-0, 6-4-0 MW) concludes its 2016 regular season this weekend with a Mountain West road match at Boise State (6-9-4, 5-2-3 MW) on Friday, Oct. 28, at 4 p.m. Live streaming is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 9-4-4 all-time against the Broncos.
W, 1-0 --- NEVADA
L, 0-1 (OT) --- at UNLV
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week, defeating Nevada at home (1-0) and falling at UNLV (1-0 OT). The Aggies shutout the Wolf Pack, as senior forward Jessica Brooksby scored the sole goal in the 34th minute. She was assisted on the shot by junior defender Rachelle Warner. The Aggies then battled the Rebels through 98 minutes of scoreless soccer before UNLV scored the golden-goal in the 98th minute, off the foot of the conference’s leading scorer. On the week, USU took 34 shots with 15 on goal, while the Aggies’ opponents combined for 33 shots with 12 on goal. Sophomore Grace McGuire guarded the net for both matches, allowing one goal while tallying 11 saves.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Oct. 27 --- at Wyoming, 6:30 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 29 --- at Colorado State, 1 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (10-11, 5-5 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of Mountain West road matches at Wyoming (13-9, 6-3 MW) on Thursday, Oct. 27, at 6:30 p.m., and at Colorado State (14-6, 8-1 MW) on Saturday, Oct. 29, at 1 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 16-17 all-time against the Cowgirls and 14-24 all-time against the Rams.
W, 3-2 --- SAN DIEGO STATE
W, 3-1 --- NEVADA
• Utah State posted a 2-0 Mountain West home record last week with a 3-2 win against San Diego State and a 3-1 win against Nevada. Against the Aztecs, junior outside Lauren Anderson led the Aggies with 18 kills as Utah State hit .217 (58-27-143) to San Diego State’s .128 (51-32-149). Against the Wolf Pack, Anderson led the Aggies again with a career-high 23 kills and hit a season-best .435 (23-3-46) as USU hit a season-best .312 (60-17-138) to Nevada’s .226 (50-19-137).
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Oct. 28 --- at MW Championship, Boise Idaho, 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Friday, Oct. 28, when they travel to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Mountain West Championships. At last year’s MW Championships, USU’s women placed sixth and the men finished eighth.
M: 14th/40; W: 24th/42 --- at Pre-Nationals, Terre Haute, Ind.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams passed their final test before the conference championships two weekends ago, at the Indiana State-hosted Pre-National Invitational. No. 4 Oregon took home the top spot in the men’s team standings with 85 points, while Utah State placed 14th out of 40 teams with 454 points. On the women’s side, No. 2 Colorado won the team race with 93 points, while Utah State finished 24th out of 42 teams with 656 points. Junior Dillon Maggard continued to pace the men as he placed 11th with a time of 24:14.1. Senior Colby Wilson was the second finisher for the Aggies, crossing the line 52nd with a time of 24:53.9. Other Aggie finishers for the men include sophomore Adam Hendrickson in 93rd place (25:15.0), junior Tyler Roberts in 124th place (25:26.5) and freshman James Withers, who placed 180th (25:50.4). In the women’s race, sophomore Kashley Carter recorded her first finish of the season by placing 45th with a time of 20:57.7. Freshman Bailee Parker finished 61st with a time of 21:06.2. After Carter and Parker, came junior Kelsey Yamauchi in 150th (21:50.8), sophomore Cierra Simmons in 178th (22:00.7) and junior Tylee Newman-Skinner in 222nd (22:28.7) to round out the Aggies’ top-five finishers. Utah State also had men’s and women’s runners in the Open Races as junior Jackie Heaps finished 14th (22:27.7), while freshman Darren Harman placed sixth (25:46.7).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Nov. 11-13 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis will conclude its fall season at the Cal State Northridge Invitational on Friday through Sunday, Nov. 11-13.
NTS --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State women’s tennis competed at the ITA Mountain Region Tournament in Albuquerque, N.M., two weeks ago. In singles, senior Nini Guensler went 1-2, junior Sabrina Demerath went 4-2, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel posted a 4-2 record and freshman Lucy Octave went 3-1. In doubles, Guensler and Demerath went 0-1, while Van de Vondel and Octave went 1-1.
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Mon.-Tues., Feb. 13-14 --- at Southern Utah Invitational, All Day
• Utah State’s men’s golf team will return to action on Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 13-14, when it begins its spring season at the Southern Utah-hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational in St. George, Utah.
5th/15 --- at CS Northridge Invitational
• Utah State senior Tanner Jenson carded a final round of 1-under 71 to finish tied for sixth at 7-under-par 209 at the Cal State Northridge-hosted Bill Cullum Invitational last week. Utah State finished fifth out of 15 teams at 4-under 860 (287-282-291) for its best tournament finish of the fall. In all, USU placed in the top nine in all five tournaments in competed in during its fall season, including four top six finishes. UC Santa Barbara won the tournament championship at 31-under 833 (279-275-279) and USC’s Jonah Texeira won medalist honors competing as an individual at 14-under 202 (66-68-68). Jenson began the tournament by carding rounds of 2-under 70 and 4-under 68, followed by his 1-under 71. For Jenson, he now has 19 rounds under par and nine rounds in the 60’s during his collegiate career, not to mention finishing under par twice this year and seven times in his career. Jenson has now posted two top-10 finishes this season and six in his career with his sixth-place finish this week. Also competing for USU was senior Eli Rogers, who finished tied for 38th place at 2-over 218 (73-71-74), freshman Chase Lansford, who tied for 43rd place at 3-over 219 (76-72-71), freshman Hayden Eckert, who tied for 53rd place at 5-over 221 (75-71-75), and senior Braxton Miller, who tied for 56th place at 6-over 222 (69-75-78). Roger’s 1-under 71 during his second 18 holes is his ninth career-round under par. For Miller, his 3-under 69 during his first round is his 13th round under par during his career, including his sixth round in the 60’s. For Lansford, his 1-under 71 during his final round is his fourth round under par this year, and Eckert’s 1-under 71 during his second 18 holes is his third round under par this season.
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear