WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - OCTOBER 31, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Nov. 5 --- at Wyoming, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN2)
• Utah State’s football team (3-5, 1-4 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a Mountain West road game at Wyoming (6-2, 4-0 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 8:15 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2 (Comcast Ch. 36/669HD, Dish Network Ch. 143, DirecTV Ch. 209). USU is 38-24-4 all-time against the Cowboys, including a 12-14-3 road record.
L, 13-40 --- SAN DIEGO STATE
• Utah State found the end zone on its first possession of the game and junior QB Kent Myers moved into the school’s top-10 list for career touchdown passes, but the Aggies couldn’t overcome 40 unanswered points scored by San Diego State in a 40-13 home loss to the Aztecs last weekend. Myers completed 11-of-26 passes for 181 yards and a 23-yard touchdown pass to junior WR Jaren Colston-Green midway through the fourth quarter. He is now tied with Travis Cox (2001-04) for 10th in career touchdown passes with 29. Myers was also the Aggies’ leading rusher on the day with 26 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown run that gave Utah State (3-5, 1-4 Mountain West) a 7-0 lead with 8:08 left in the first quarter. San Diego State (7-1, 4-0) rushed for 400 yards on 57 carries. A pair of Aztecs eclipsed the century mark on the ground as Donnel Pumphrey rushed for 223 yards on 32 carries, while Juwan Washington added 137 yards and two scores. Utah State allowed just 14 yards passing, which is tied for the fourth-fewest given up by the Aggies and the fewest since allowing one yard to Colorado State in 1976. Senior TE Wyatt Houston led the Aggies with three catches for 40 yards. He has now caught at least one pass in 14 straight games. In his return from a foot injury, junior BS Dallin Leavitt recorded a game-high nine tackles and a quarterback hurry. Sophomore LB Chase Christiansen added eight stops, including 1.5 tackles for loss and 1.0 sacks. Utah State finished with a season-low 252 yards of total offense.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Jan. 14 --- at UC Irvine, TBA
• Utah State men’s tennis will return to action on Saturday, Jan. 14, when it begins its spring season with a dual match at UC Irvine.
NTS --- at San Diego Hidden Dual, San Diego, Calif.
• Utah State men’s tennis competed at the San Diego-hosted Hagerdorn Hidden Dual last week against San Diego, Arizona and Denver. In doubles, the tandem of junior Kai Wehnelt and sophomore Samuel Serrano went 2-1, senior Jack Swindells and sophomore Jonas Maier went 1-2, junior Andrew Nakajima and sophomore Austin Bass went 0-2, and Nakajima and senior Daniel Echeverry went 1-0. In singles, Swindells, Echeverry and Nakajima all posted a 3-1 mark, Wehnelt and Serrano both went 2-1, and Bass and Maier both went 0-4.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Mountain West Championships, San Diego, Calif.
Tues., Nov. 1 --- vs. Wyoming, 5 p.m. (MT)
Thur., Nov. 3 --- vs. UNLV, 5 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Nov. 5 --- Championship Match, 8 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s soccer team (11-8-0, 7-4-0 MW) is the No. 4 seed in the 2016 Mountain West Tournament, hosted by San Diego State, and will play fifth-seeded Wyoming (10-7-2, 6-4-1) in the quarterfinals on Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 5 p.m. (MT). The winner will then face top-seeded UNLV (15-3-2, 8-1-2) on Thursday, Nov. 3 at 5 p.m. (MT). The championship match will be on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m. (MT). Live streaming is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 5-4-2 all-time against the Cowgirls, which includes a 3-0 home win this season.
W, 6-1 --- at Boise State
• Utah State wrapped up its regular season last week with a 6-1 road win at Boise State. The Aggies struck early with a goal from junior forward Wesley Hamblin in the 12th minute, assisted by junior forward Bailee Hammond. The second half then started just as quickly, as Hammond scored 49 seconds into the period with an assist from Hamblin. Freshman defender Mealii Enos scored her first-career goal in the 55th minute, with an assist from senior forward Jessica Brooksby. The lead was then extended with an own goal from Boise State. Freshman forward Alecia Robison added to the tally in the 83rd minute with a double assist from freshman midfielder Kanyan Ward and freshman defender Imelda Williams. Sophomore midfielder Emma Clark made the final statement with her first-career goal with just 40 seconds remaining in the match. On the day, USU out-shot Boise State, 14-8, including a 10-2 on-goal advantage. Sophomore Grace McGuire and senior Natalie Stoven split time in the net, allowing one goal and earning the save.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Nov. 3 --- BOISE STATE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 5 --- AIR FORCE, 7 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (10-13, 5-7 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of Mountain West home matches as it hosts Boise State (18-6, 9-2 MW) on Thursday, Nov. 3, at 7 p.m., and Air Force (9-16, 0-12 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 18-22 all-time against the Broncos and 5-1 all-time against the Falcons.
L, 1-3 --- at Wyoming
L, 0-3 --- at Colorado State
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West road record last week with a 3-1 loss at Wyoming and a 3-0 loss at Colorado State. Against the Cowgirls, junior outside Lauren Anderson led the Aggies with 14 kills as Utah State hit .216 (50-21-134) to Wyoming’s .231 (58-25-143). Against the Rams, Anderson led the Aggies for the fifth match in a row with 10 kills and Utah State hit .099 (33-22-111) to Colorado State’s .350 (43-8-100).
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Nov. 11 --- NCAA MOUNTAIN REGIONAL, 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Friday, Nov. 11, when they host the NCAA Mountain Regional on the Steve and Dona Reeder Cross Country Course, which is located at 1498 N. 800 East in Logan. The men will run at 10 a.m., while the women will race at 10:30 a.m. At last year’s NCAA Mountain Regional Meet, USU’s women finished 11th and the men placed 16th.
M: 4th/8; W: 6th/11 --- at MW Championship, Boise Idaho
• Utah State cross country was represented well as junior Dillon Maggard and sophomore Kashley Carter garnered all-conference honors last week at 2016 Mountain West Cross Country Championships, held in Boise, Idaho. In the men’s championship, Boise State claimed the team title with 41 points. Utah State exceeded expectations by finishing in fourth place with 131 points. On the women’s side, New Mexico won the championship with 42 points, while Utah State came in sixth with 148 points. After taking 41st in last year’s conference championships, Maggard earned first-team all-conference honors by placing fourth with a time of 24:08.10. Maggard recorded Utah State’s highest individual finish at the conference championships since joining the Mountain West. The native of Kirkland, Wash., is also the Aggies’ first male cross country runner to receive all-conference honors since 2013. Finishing second for the Aggie men was senior Colby Wilson, who placed 22nd with a time of 24:47.30. Behind Wilson was Luke Beattie, who was named the Mountain West Men’s Freshman of the Year, placing 35th with a time of 24:47.30. Beattie is the second Utah State athlete to be named MW Freshman of the Year as Wilson won Co-Freshman of the Year honors in 2013. Rounding out the men’s top five for the Aggies were freshman Darren Harman, who placed 37th (25:13.90) and sophomore Adam Hendrickson, who finished 38th. For the second consecutive year, Carter earned second-team all-conference accolades after finishing eighth with a time of 20:45.20. Carter also recorded Utah State’s best women’s individual finish since joining the Mountain West. In other Utah State women’s championship action, freshman Bailee Parker placed 16th (21:08.60), sophomore Cierra Simmons finished 36th (21:43.30), junior Kelsey Yamauchi came in 44th (21:59.40) and junior Jackie Heaps crossed the line 49th (22:10.10) to round out the Aggies’ top five.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Nov. 11-13 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis will conclude its fall season at the Cal State Northridge Invitational on Friday through Sunday, Nov. 11-13.
NTS --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State women’s tennis competed at the ITA Mountain Region Tournament in Albuquerque, N.M., three weeks ago. In singles, senior Nini Guensler went 1-2, junior Sabrina Demerath went 4-2, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel posted a 4-2 record and freshman Lucy Octave went 3-1. In doubles, Guensler and Demerath went 0-1, while Van de Vondel and Octave went 1-1.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Fri., Nov. 4 --- SOUTHERN VIRGINIA (Ex.), 7 p.m.
• Utah State men’s basketball (0-0) will play its only exhibition game of the 2016-17 season on Friday, Nov. 4 against Southern Virginia at 7 p.m.
• Utah State, who is picked sixth in the Mountain West this season according to a preseason media poll, will enter the 2016-17 season with three returning starters from a team that finished 16-15 and 7-11 in conference play last season. Returning starters include senior wing Jalen Moore, who has earned all-conference honors each of the past two season and picked up preseason all-Mountain West accolades going into the 2016-17 campaign, senior guard Shane Rector and junior guard Julion Pearre. Utah State returns one other letterwinner from last season in sophomore forward Quinn Taylor and a redshirt in sophomore wing Alexis Dargenton. The Aggie roster is then rounded out by 10 newcomers in freshman guard Koby McEwen, the preseason Mountain West Co-Freshman of the Year, senior guard Connor Garner, junior forward Ngor Barnaba, sophomore forward Norbert Janicek, freshman guard Diogo Brito, freshman forward Trevin Dorius, freshman wing Daron Henson, freshman guard Sam Merrill, freshman guard Abel Porter and freshman forward Klay Stall.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Sun., Nov. 6 --- CSU-PUEBLO (Ex.), 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (0-0) will play its only exhibition game of the 2016-17 season on Sunday, Nov. 6 against Colorado State-Pueblo at 2 p.m.
• Utah State, who is picked ninth in the Mountain West this season according to a preseason poll, returns six letterwinners from last year’s squad that finished the season 14-17 overall with an 8-10 league record in Mountain West play. The team finished seventh in the league, falling in the second round of the Mountain West Tournament. The Aggies return two starters from last season in sophomore guards Rachel Brewster and Katie Toole. Other returners include senior forward Angelica de Paulo, senior forward Antoina Robinson, sophomore guard Taylor Enders, sophomore guard Lindsey Jensen, sophomore center Deja Mason and sophomore guard Victoria Price. The Aggies welcome six freshmen to the team in freshman guard/forward Hailey Bassett (Layton, Utah), freshman forward Shannon Dufficy (Preston, Victoria, Australia), freshman guard Jessie Geer (Gillette, Wyo.), freshman forward Dee Moore (Allen, Texas), freshman guard Eliza West (Mount Martha, Victoria, Australia) and freshman guard Olivia West (Launceston, Tasmania, Australia).
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear