WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - NOVEMBER 2, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Nov. 7 --- at New Mexico, 1:30 p.m. (CBSSN)
• Utah State’s football team (5-3, 4-1) continues its 2015 season this weekend with a Mountain West road game at New Mexico (4-4, 2-2) on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 1:30 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 10-11 all-time against the Lobos, including a 4-8 road record.
W, 58-27 --- WYOMING
• Junior RB Devante Mays rushed for a career-high 176 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries as Utah State bounced back from its first Mountain West loss of the season with a 58-27 home victory against Wyoming last weekend. Sophomore QB Kent Myers completed his first 10 passes of the game and finished 14-of-17 for 246 yards and a career-high-tying three touchdowns for Utah State (5-3, 4-1 MW), which defeated Wyoming (1-8, 1-4) for the fourth straight time. Sophomore RB Brian Hill finished with 201 yards rushing and one touchdown on 26 carries for the Cowboys, who lost for the second time in a row. The Aggies, who were held to just 239 yards in a 48-14 loss at San Diego State last weekend, finished with 592 yards (296 rushing and 296 passing) of total offense against Wyoming, its most since gaining 646 yards against Louisiana Tech in 2012 and the 14th-most in school history. Wyatt Houston had his best game as an Aggie. The junior TE caught a career-high-tying four passes for a career-best 66 yards and a career-high two touchdowns. Junior LB Nick Vigil led the Aggies’ defensive effort as he recorded 13 tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Senior SS Marwin Evans added seven tackles, to go along with a career-high two pass breakups. Of Utah State’s 11 offensive possessions on the night, seven ended with a touchdown and one ended with a field goal. The Aggies only punted once on the night.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Nov. 5 --- at San José State, 7 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s volleyball team (5-21, 1-11) continues its 2015 season this week with a Mountain West road match at San José State (12-13, 4-8) on Thursday, Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. (MT). USU is 18-19-1 all-time against the Spartans.
L, 1-3 --- at UNLV
L, 0-3 --- at Fresno State
• Utah State posted an 0-2 Mountain West road record last week with a 3-1 loss at UNLV and a 3-0 loss at Fresno State. Against the Rebels, junior outside hitter Kaylie Kamalu had 17 kills as USU hit .132 (44-25-144) and UNLV hit .253 (58-21-146). Against the Bulldogs, Kamalu and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Gale each had 11 kills as USU hit .274 (39-10-106) in the match and FS hit .358 (51-12-109).
Contact: Wade Denniston - (435) 797-1361
Fri., Nov. 13 --- at NCAA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M., 10 a.m.
• Utah State’s men and women’s cross country teams will return to action on Friday, Nov. 13 when they travel to Albuquerque, N.M., to compete in the 2015 NCAA Mountain Regional. At last year’s NCAA Mountain Regional Championship, the Aggie men finished in 11th place and the women finished in 16th place.
W: 6th/11; M: 8th/8 --- at Mountain West Championships, Reno, Nev.
• Utah State’s women’s cross country team placed sixth with 144 points, while the Aggie men finished eighth with 220 points, at the 2015 Mountain West Championships held last weekend in Reno, Nev. USU freshman Kashley Carter placed 14th with a time of 23:41.68, good enough to earn second-team all-conference honors. New Mexico took home the crown on the women’s side, while Air Force captured the top spot in the men’s championship race. Behind Carter was junior Jacqueline Winterton, who placed 24th with a time of 24:23.92. Following Winterton was sophomore Kelsey Yamauchi, who placed 29th with a time of 24:39.57, while junior Tori Parkinson placed 37th with a time of 24:59.15 and sophomore Jackie Heaps crossed the line 45th with a time of 25:15.76. The Aggie men were led to an eighth-place finish by sophomore Dillon Maggard, who finished 41st, recording a time of 28:23.63. Junior Colby Wilson crossed the line 48th with a time of 29:10.95. Following Wilson was freshman Jon Stutz, who placed 49th with a time of 29:12.05, sophomore Justin Sheets, who finished 50th with a time of 29:12.05, and sophomore Tyler Roberts, who placed 53rd with a time of 29:23.13.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
T, 1-1 (2OT) --- BOISE STATE
• Utah State women’s soccer (10-8-2, 5-5-1) concluded its 2015 season with a 1-1 double-overtime home tie against Boise State last weekend as the Aggies tied for seventh in the Mountain West standings and only the top six teams advanced to the conference tournament. Against the Broncos, junior forward Jessica Brooksby scored in the 49th minute to tie the match at 1-all on a goal that was assisted by junior midfielder Katie Flynn. Overall, the Aggies took a season-high 22 shots, out-shooting the Broncos, who had 13. Senior goalkeeper Jeannie Woller had eight saves in the net for the Aggies.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Fri., Nov. 6 --- CS MONTEREY BAY (Ex.), 7 p.m.
• Utah State men’s basketball (0-0) will play its second and final exhibition game of the 2015-16 season on Friday, Nov. 6 against Cal State Monterey Bay at 7 p.m.
W, 87-48 --- OKLAHOMA PANHANDLE
• Utah State began its 2015-16 season with an 87-48 exhibition home win against Oklahoma Panhandle State last weekend as junior wing Jalen Moore scored 19 points and sophomore forward David Collette added 14 points. Redshirt freshman forward Quinn Taylor had eight points and nine rebounds off the bench, as did sophomore center Elston Jones. Moore and Collette also each had seven rebounds and three blocked shots in the game. Sophomore guard Henry Bolton III came off the bench to lead the team with six assists and three steals, to go along with four points. Overall, all 12 Aggies that played in the game scored. USU finished the night shooting 54.5 percent (30-55), including 22.2 percent from 3-point range (4-18) and 69.7 percent at the free throw line (23-33). OPSU shot just 25.0 percent (16-64), including 11.5 percent from behind the arc (3-26) and 61.9 percent at the charity stripe (13-21). USU also won the battle of the boards, 47-38, and had 10 more assists (18-8) and two more steals (12-10), while committing one less turnover (18-19).
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Sat., Nov. 7 --- DIXIE STATE (Ex.), 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (0-0) will play its second and final exhibition game of the 2015-16 season on Saturday, Nov. 7 against Dixie State at 2 p.m.
W, 74-63 --- SOUTH DAKOTA MINES
• Utah State opened its 2015-16 campaign with a 74-63 exhibition win against South Dakota School of Mines and Technology last weekend. The Aggies had four players score in double figures, led by sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu with 18, while freshman guard Rachel Brewster had 17 points, senior forward Tijana Djukic scored 11 and junior forward Antoina Robinson added 10 points. Overall, Robinson recorded a double-double as she led the team with 14 rebounds, to go along with a team-best seven blocks and four steals. Overall, Utah State shot 36.7 percent (29-of-79) from the field, 34.6 percent (9-of-26) from the 3-point line and 41.2 percent (7-of-17) from the free throw line. The Hardrockers shot 34.7 percent (25-of-72) from the field, 27.8 percent (5-of-18) from three and 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from the free throw line.
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Trio of Aggies Honored by...
Utah State gymnasts Jazmyn Estrella, McKinley Pavicic and Madison Ward were tabbed the Mountain...03/19/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the America First Credit Union Utah ...03/19/2018
Tickets on Sale for Utah...
Tickets are now on sale for Utah State football’s end-of-year team banquet on Wednesday,...03/19/2018
Weekly Aggie Update
Utah State's winter and spring sports continue this week with gymnastics, softball, and men's and...03/19/2018
USU Softball Drops Two...
Despite several big plays, Utah State softball was unable to fight off Boise State Sunday,...03/18/2018
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear