LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - NOVEMBER 7, 2016
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Nov. 12 --- NEW MEXICO, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN2)
• Utah State’s football team (3-6, 1-5 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a Mountain West home game against New Mexico (6-3, 4-1 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 12, at 8:15 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2 (Comcast Ch. 36/669HD, Dish Network Ch. 143, DirecTV Ch. 209). USU is 10-12 all-time against the Lobos, including a 6-3 home record.
L, 28-52 --- at Wyoming
• Backup junior QB Damion Hobbs scored a career-high three rushing touchdowns and sophomore WR Ron’Quavion Tarver caught eight passes for 104 yards, both game highs, but it still wasn’t enough to help Utah State overcome a 28-point deficit at halftime. Wyoming QB Josh Allen completed 16-of-26 passes for 261 yards and four touchdowns, to go along with 66 yards rushing and another score, to help the Cowboys beat the Aggies 52-28. Junior RB Tonny Lindsey, Jr. led the Aggies with 75 yards rushing on five carries. Utah State (3-6, 1-5 Mountain West) finished with 414 yards of total offense, including 241 in the third quarter alone. Brian Hill accounted for Wyoming’s other two touchdowns as the senior running back ran for a game-high 142 yards on 25 carries, scoring on runs of 56 and 15 yards, respectively. The Cowboys (7-2, 5-0) tallied 528 yards of offense. Senior LB Anthony Williams led all defenders with a career-high 13 tackles, including 0.5 tackles for loss. Redshirt sophomore BS Gaje Ferguson added a career-best 10 stops, including 1.0 tackles for loss, and a pass breakup in his first career start. And senior CB Daniel Gray intercepted a pass in the third quarter to help set up a USU score.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Mountain West Championships, San Diego, Calif.
W, 2-1 --- vs. #5 Wyoming
L, 1-2 --- vs. #1 UNLV
• Utah State’s soccer team (12-9-0, 7-4-0 MW) concluded its 2016 season at the Mountain West Championship last week, advancing to the semifinal round. The fourth-seeded Aggies opened tournament play in a 2-1 win over No. 5 Wyoming before falling to No. 1, and eventual tournament champion, UNLV 2-1 in the semifinals. Against the Cowgirls, senior midfielder Lauren Harmon scored the Aggies’ first goal in the 24th minute, as she followed through on a corner kick from senior forward Jessica Brooksby, who set a new single-season assist record with her 10th of the year. Junior midfielder Wesley Hamblin extended USU’s lead in the 40th minute, scoring her eighth goal of the season. The Cowgirls evaded the shutout with a goal in the 88th minute. In Thursday’s semifinal matchup, USU battled back from a 2-0 deficit, as Harmon and Brooksby again combined on a corner kick to put the Aggies on the board. With that assist, Brooksby set a new career assist record, finishing with 18. Following their performances in the tournament, Harmon and Brooksby were both named to the all-tournament team. On the week, USU took 28 shots, 10 of which were on goal. The Aggies’ opponents combined for 22 shots with six on target. Sophomore Grace McGuire played the entirety of both matches, allowing three goals while tallying three saves.
Contact: Lea Williams - (435) 797-8584
Fri., Nov. 11 --- NCAA MOUNTAIN REGIONAL, 11 a.m.
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will continue their 2016 season on Friday, Nov. 11, when they host the NCAA Mountain Regional on the Steve and Dona Reeder Cross Country Course, which is located at 1498 N. 800 East in Logan. The women will run at 11 a.m., while the men will race at noon. At last year’s NCAA Mountain Regional Meet, USU’s women finished 11th and the men placed 16th.
M: 4th/8; W: 6th/11 --- at MW Championship, Boise Idaho
• Utah State cross country was represented well as junior Dillon Maggard and sophomore Kashley Carter garnered all-conference honors last week at 2016 Mountain West Cross Country Championships, held in Boise, Idaho. In the men’s championship, Boise State claimed the team title with 41 points. Utah State exceeded expectations by finishing in fourth place with 131 points. On the women’s side, New Mexico won the championship with 42 points, while Utah State came in sixth with 148 points. After taking 41st in last year’s conference championships, Maggard earned first-team all-conference honors by placing fourth with a time of 24:08.10. Maggard recorded Utah State’s highest individual finish at the conference championships since joining the Mountain West. The native of Kirkland, Wash., is also the Aggies’ first male cross country runner to receive all-conference honors since 2013. Finishing second for the Aggie men was senior Colby Wilson, who placed 22nd with a time of 24:47.30. Behind Wilson was Luke Beattie, who was named the Mountain West Men’s Freshman of the Year, placing 35th with a time of 24:47.30. Beattie is the second Utah State athlete to be named MW Freshman of the Year as Wilson won Co-Freshman of the Year honors in 2013. Rounding out the men’s top five for the Aggies were freshman Darren Harman, who placed 37th (25:13.90) and sophomore Adam Hendrickson, who finished 38th. For the second consecutive year, Carter earned second-team all-conference accolades after finishing eighth with a time of 20:45.20. Carter also recorded Utah State’s best women’s individual finish since joining the Mountain West. In other Utah State women’s championship action, freshman Bailee Parker placed 16th (21:08.60), sophomore Cierra Simmons finished 36th (21:43.30), junior Kelsey Yamauchi came in 44th (21:59.40) and junior Jackie Heaps crossed the line 49th (22:10.10) to round out the Aggies’ top five.
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Fri.-Sun., Nov. 11-13 --- at CS Northridge Invitational, All Day
• Utah State women’s tennis will conclude its fall season at the Cal State Northridge Invitational on Friday through Sunday, Nov. 11-13.
NTS --- at ITA Regionals, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Utah State women’s tennis competed at the ITA Mountain Region Tournament in Albuquerque, N.M., three weeks ago. In singles, senior Nini Guensler went 1-2, junior Sabrina Demerath went 4-2, sophomore Monika Van de Vondel posted a 4-2 record and freshman Lucy Octave went 3-1. In doubles, Guensler and Demerath went 0-1, while Van de Vondel and Octave went 1-1.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Fri., Nov. 11 --- at UC Irvine, 8 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s basketball (0-0) will begin its 2016-17 season with a road game at UC Irvine (0-0) on Friday, Nov. 11, at 8 p.m. (MT). USU is 31-28 all-time against the Anteaters, including a 11-14 road record.
W, 83-55 --- SOUTHERN VIRGINIA (Ex.)
• Utah State posted an 83-55 home victory over Southern Virginia in its only exhibition contest of the 2016-17 season last weekend. Freshman guard Koby McEwen led the Aggies with 19 points on 7-of-7 shooting, while junior guard Julion Pearre had 12 and senior guard Shane Rector followed with 10. Utah State shot 52.7 percent (29-of-55), including 41.2 percent (7-of-17) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (18-of-27) from the free throw line. SVU shot 33.3 percent (22-of-66), including 21.7 percent (5-of-23) from behind the 3-point line and 50.0 percent (6-of-12) from the free throw line.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Fri., Nov. 11 --- WESTMINSTER, 12 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (0-0) will begin its 2016-17 season with a home game against Westminster (0-0) on Friday, Nov. 11, at Noon.
W, 63-54 --- CSU-PUEBLO (Ex.)
• Utah State opened its 2016-17 season in exhibition play last weekend with a 63-54 home win against Colorado State-Pueblo. Several USU players had strong performances, as four players reached double figures. Freshman guard Eliza West and sophomore guard Rachel Brewster led the Aggies with 12 points apiece, while freshman forward Shannon Dufficy added 11 and senior forward Antoina Robinson tallied 10. Sophomore guard Katie Toole was just shy of double-digits with nine points. Dufficy ended the day with a double-double, adding a team-best 10 rebounds. Other team highlights included eight assists from West and five steals from Brewster. Overall, USU shot 42.2 percent (27-of-64), including 25.0 percent (2-of-8) from the 3-point line, and was 63.6 percent (7-of-11) from the free throw line. Colorado State-Pueblo shot 35.1 percent (20-of-57), 23.8 percent (5-of-21) from behind the arc and 81.8 percent (9-of-11) from the free throw line.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Nov. 10 --- at UNLV, 7 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Nov. 12 --- at New Mexico, 2 p.m.
• Utah State’s volleyball team (11-14, 6-8 MW) continues its 2016 season this week with a pair of Mountain West road matches at UNLV (21-5, 10-4 MW) on Thursday, Nov. 10, at 7 p.m. (MT), and at New Mexico (14-14, 4-10 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 12, at 2 p.m. Live streaming of both matches is available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/videos. USU is 2-7 all-time against the Rebels and 11-16 all-time against the Lobos.
L, 0-3 --- BOISE STATE
W, 3-0 --- AIR FORCE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West home record last week with a 3-0 loss against Boise State and a 3-0 victory over Air Force. Against the Broncos, senior outside Kaylie Kamalu-Smith led the Aggies with 12 kills as Utah State hit .091 (30-20-110) to Boise State’s .344 (45-12-96). Against the Falcons, Utah State hit a season-high .384 (47-9-99) and was led by junior outside Lauren Anderson with 13 kills, hitting a season-high .500 (13-1-24). Air Force finished the match hitting .118 (32-19-110).
USU Track & Field Sets Four...
Utah State's track & field teams set four school records at the UC Irvine-hosted Spring Break...03/17/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-8, 1-0 MW) lost, 4-1, to Arizona (14-8, 0-2 Pac-12) in its...03/17/2018
Utah State's Saturday...
Due to weather and field conditions, Utah State softball's game scheduled for Saturday, March 17,...03/17/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State’s gymnastics team closed the home portion of its 2018 schedule in emphatic...03/16/2018
Aggies Perform Well on Both...
Utah State had solid play from both its offense and defense during its first scrimmage of spring ...03/16/2018
Utah State Softball Topped...
Utah State softball opened its home and Mountain West seasons Friday, falling to Boise State, 11-...03/16/2018
Utah State Men's Tennis...
No. 46 Utah State men's tennis (10-7, 1-0 MW) posted a 4-0 victory over Rice (5-11, 0-1 C-USA) on...03/16/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Takes...03/15/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear