LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - NOVEMBER 13, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Sat., Nov. 18 --- HAWAI’I, 1 p.m. (Spectrum)
• Utah State’s football team (5-5, 3-3 MW) continues its 2017 season this weekend with its final home game of the year as it hosts Mountain West foe Hawai’i (3-7, 1-6 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 1 p.m. The game will be streamed live on Spectrum Sports PPV and available to watch on Stadium.com. The Watch Stadium app is also available on both iOS and Android mobile devices. USU is 8-6 all-time against the Rainbow Warriors, including a 4-2 home record.
W, 24-10 --- at New Mexico
• Senior running back LaJuan Hunt rushed for 117 yards and two touchdowns, and Utah State’s defense forced four turnovers, as the Aggies posted a 24-10 Mountain West road win New Mexico last weekend. Hunt eclipsed the 100-yard plateau for the third time in his career and second time this season, doing so on just 14 carries. The Aggies held the ball for just 20:53, gaining 243 yards of total offense. Conversely, New Mexico had 340 yards of offense and crossed midfield on 10 of their 13 possessions, including four trips into the red zone. Defensively, junior safety Gaje Ferguson led the way with a game-high eight tackles, including his first career sack, while redshirt freshman linebacker Kevin Meitzenheimer added a career-best seven stops. Utah State’s defense forced four fumbles in the first half - two each by sophomore defensive end Devon Anderson and sophomore linebacker Justus Te’i. The Aggies recovered three of them, including one by Anderson and Te’i, and the other by sophomore cornerback Cameron Haney. Anderson finished with a career-best seven tackles, while Te’i’s two forced fumbles were both inside the 10-yard line. Utah State’s defense put the exclamation point on the victory when redshirt freshman linebacker David Woodward recovered a fumble and returned it 70 yards for a touchdown to give the visitors a 24-3 lead with 8:56 to go in the game. It was the fifth defensive score of the season for Utah State and its sixth non-offensive touchdown. Woodward ended his day with a career-high five tackles.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Mon., Nov. 13 --- MONTANA STATE, 7 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 15 --- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 18 --- at #18 Gonzaga, 8 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State men’s basketball (0-1) continues its 2017-18 season with three non-conference games this week as it hosts Montana State (1-0) on Monday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m., Mississippi Valley State (0-1) on Wednesday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m., and then plays at 18th-ranked Gonzaga (1-0) on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 8 p.m. (MT). USU is 76-40 all-time against the Bobcats, including a 12-3 known home record, 1-0 all-time against the Delta Devils, including a 1-0 home record, and a 4-1 record all-time against the Bulldogs, including a 1-0 known home record. Both home games will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch.
L, 59-65 --- at Weber State
• Utah State opened the 2017-18 season last weekend with a 65-59 loss at Weber State. Senior forward Alex Dargenton and junior guard DeAngelo Isby led the Aggies in scoring with 12 and 11 points, respectively. USU shot 37.0 percent (20-of-54) from the floor, 26.7 percent (4-of-15) from behind the 3-point line and 78.9 percent (15-of-19) at the free throw line. Weber State finished the game shooting 42.6 percent (23-of-54) from the floor, 27.3 percent (6-of-22) from behind the 3-point line and 81.3 percent (13-of-16) at the free throw line.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Tues., Nov. 14 --- DIXIE STATE, Noon
Fri., Nov. 17 --- ARIZONA, 7 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (0-1) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a pair of home games as it hosts Dixie State (1-1) on Tuesday, Nov. 14, at Noon, and Arizona (1-0) on Friday, Nov. 17, at 7 p.m. USU is 0-1 all-time against the Red Storm and 8-5 all-time against the Wildcats. Both games will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch.
L, 84-87 --- at UC Irvine
• Utah State opened the 2017-18 season with an 87-84 loss at UC Irvine last weekend. Sophomore guard Olivia West led the Aggies with a career-best 32 points. She is the first Aggie to have a 30-point game since the 2015-16 season. Sophomore guard/forward Shannon Dufficy recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds, while sophomore guard/forward Hailey Bassett and junior guard Rachel Brewster also scored in double figures, ending the night with 13 and 11 points, respectively. Overall, USU shot 50.9 percent (29-of-57) from the field, 53.3 percent (8-of-15) from the 3-point line and 69.2 percent (18-of-26) from the free throw line. UC Irvine shot 40.3 percent (31-of-77) from the floor, 40.9 percent (9-of-22) from behind the arc and 84.2 percent (16-of-19) from the free throw line.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Thur., Nov. 16 --- NEVADA, 7 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 18 --- at San José State, 3 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s volleyball team (15-13, 7-9 MW) concludes its 2017 season this week with a pair of Mountain West matches as it hosts Nevada (9-19, 7-9 MW) on Thursday, Nov. 16, at 7 p.m., and plays at San José State (17-10, 9-7 MW) on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 3 p.m. (MT). USU is 22-21 all-time against the Wolf Pack and 19-20-1 all-time against the Spartans. Both matches will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and are available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch.
L, 0-3 --- at Boise State
W, 3-2 --- AIR FORCE
• Utah State posted a 1-1 Mountain West record last week with a 3-0 loss at Boise State and a 3-2 home win against Air Force. Against the Broncos, senior outside Lauren Anderson led the Aggies with nine kills, while USU hit .055 (22-18-73) to Boise State’s .408 (41-10-76). Against Air Force, Anderson was one of three players with a double-double, matching a career high with 23 kills and adding 10 digs. Junior setter Kassidy Johnson recorded a career-high 56 assists and added 14 digs, and senior opposite Kayla DeCoursey logged 13 kills and a career-high 17 digs. Overall, Utah State hit .199 (62-26-181) to the Falcons’ .170 (55-26-171).
Contact: Sean O’Sullivan - (435) 797-8584
Sat., Nov. 18 --- at NCAA Championships, Louisville, Ky., 8:45 a.m. (MT)
• Utah State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will conclude the 2017 season at the NCAA National Championship in Louisville, Ky., this weekend. This is the first appearance for both the men’s and women’s teams at the national championship race. The women’s race begins at 8:45 a.m. (MT) with the men following at 9:45 a.m. (MT). Fans can watch the race with a subscription to FloTrack.org.
W: 4/19; M: 7/18 --- NCAA MOUNTAIN REGIONAL
• Utah State cross country continued its 2017 season last weekend, as it hosted the NCAA Mountain Region Championships. The Aggie women placed fourth out of 19 teams with 125 points, while the Aggie men finished seventh out of 18 teams with 197 points. Colorado won the women’s team title with 62 points, while Northern Arizona won the men’s championship with 49 points. Individually for the Aggie women, juniors Kashley Carter and Alyssa Snyder, and senior Tylee Skinner all earned all-region honors by finishing in the top 25. Carter placed 11th with a time of 20:29.0, Snyder finished 17th with a time of 20:38.2 and Skinner finished 19th with a time of 20:39.0. Also placing in the top 50, senior Tori Parkinson took 37th in 21:06.9, and junior Cierra Simmons rounded out USU’s scorers by taking 41st with a time of 21:11.0. On the Aggie men’s side, senior Dillon Maggard earned all-region honors by finishing seventh with a time of 30:26.4. Sophomores James Withers and Luke Beattie also placed in the top 50 by placing 37th and 48th with times of 31:21.3 and 31:33.3, respectively. For Maggard and Carter, it is the second year in a row they were named all-region.
Registration Now Open For...
Registration is now open for the 2018-19 Junior Aggie Kids Club program, which provides special...07/16/2018
2018 Women's Volleyball...
Utah State senior libero Tasia Taylor and sophomore middle Bailey Downing share their experiences...07/06/2018
Utah State Basketball Earns...
LOGAN, Utah – The Utah State men’s basketball team has earned the National...07/12/2018
Utah State Announces Event ...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State athletics has announced changes to its event operations staff with...07/12/2018
Q&A With USU Women's...
Cori Smith was named the director of basketball operations for the Aggies on June 14 after...07/11/2018
Utah State Women's...
Utah State women's basketball head coach Jerry Finkbeiner has announced the remainder of the team...07/10/2018
Utah State Basketball...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State men’s basketball season ticket holders can be rewarded with ...07/10/2018
Dillon Maggard Signs...
Former Utah State distance runner Dillon Maggard has signed a professional running contract with ...07/09/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear