LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - DECEMBER 4, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl, Tucson, Ariz.
Fri., Dec. 29 --- New Mexico State, 3:30 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
• Utah State football (6-6, 4-4 MW) will conclude its 2017 season against New Mexico State (6-6, 4-4 Sun Belt) in the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl in Tucson, Ariz., on Friday, Dec. 29 at 3:30 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 30-7 all-time against NMSU, which includes a 20-13 loss in the 1960 Sun Bowl, in the only other neutral site meeting between the two teams. Overall, USU and NMSU spent 26 years together as conference foes.
L, 35-38 --- at Air Force
• Utah State rallied twice in the fourth quarter against Air Force. Unfortunately for the Aggies, they needed a third, but didn’t get it. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan Love completed 17-of-30 passes for 284 yards and a career-high-tying two touchdowns, but the Falcons scored with 1:38 remaining in the game to pull out a wild 38-35 Mountain West home win on Nov. 25, 2017. With the loss, Utah State closed out the regular season with a 6-6 overall mark and 4-4 record in conference play. Air Force ended at 5-7 and 4-4. The two teams finished tied for fourth in league play. Air Force quarterback Isaiah Sanders rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries. His final score of the night was from 10 yards out with 1:38 to go in the fourth quarter, giving the Falcons their final margin of victory. Sophomore wide receiver Gerold Bright led the Aggies in rushing with a career-best 102 yards on nine carries, including a career-long 75-yard touchdown run that gave Utah State a 14-3 lead midway through the opening quarter. Fellow wide receiver, junior Aaren Vaughns, added a career-high 69 yards rushing and one touchdown on two carries. He scored on a 71-yard reverse less than two minutes into the first quarter for the game’s first touchdown. Senior running back LaJuan Hunt produced the Aggies’ third rushing touchdown of the first half on an 11-yard run with 5:56 to go in the second quarter, giving Utah State a 21-10 lead. Junior wide receiver Ron’quavion Tarver led Utah State in receiving with four catches for 86 yards and a career-best two touchdowns, while senior wide receiver Braelon Roberts finished with three receptions for a career-high 64 yards. As a team, the Aggies gained 521 yards of total offense – 284 through the air and 237 on the ground. Conversely, Air Force had 440 yards of offense, the majority of which came on the ground to the tune of 407 yards. Redshirt freshman linebacker David Woodward led USU’s defense with a career-high 13 tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Junior linebacker Suli Tamaivena added 11 stops.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Dec. 6 --- UC IRVINE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 9 --- vs. Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, 5:30 p.m. (Pac-12)
• Utah State men’s basketball (4-5) continues its 2017-18 season this week with two games as it hosts UC Irvine (4-6) on Wednesday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m. and then plays Utah (6-1) on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 5:30 p.m., at Vivint Smart Home Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. USU’s game against UC Irvine will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available to watch live on www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch, while its game against Utah will be televised regionally on the Pac-12 Network (Comcast Ch. 410, Dish Network Ch. 409). USU is 32-28 all-time against the Anteaters, including a 17-11 home record and 95-128 all-time against the Utes, including a 0-0 record on neutral courts.
L, 65-72 --- at Valparaiso
L, 66-75 --- BYU
• Utah State lost both of its games last week with a 72-65 loss at Valparaiso, followed by a 75-66 loss at home against BYU. Against the Crusaders, sophomore guard Sam Merrill scored a team-high 19 points and was followed by redshirt freshman forward Daron Henson with 10 as USU shot 32.3 percent (20-of-62) from the floor, 27.3 percent (9-of-33) from behind the 3-point line and 59.3 percent (16-of-27) at the free throw line. Valparaiso finished the game shooting 42.6 percent (26-of-61) from the floor, 15.4 percent (2-of-13) from behind the 3-point line and 72.0 percent (18-of-25) at the free throw line. Against the Cougars, sophomore guard Koby McEwen returned to the starting lineup and led the Aggies with 20 points, followed by Merrill with 14 and senior forward Alex Dargenton with 10. USU finished the game shooting 43.6 percent (24-of-55) from the floor, 32.0 percent (8-of-25) from behind the 3-point line and 43.5 percent (10-of-23) at the free throw line. BYU finished the game shooting 44.2 percent (23-of-52) from the floor, 27.8 percent (5-of-18) from behind the 3-point line and 85.7 percent (24-of-28) at the free throw line.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Wed., Dec. 6 --- at BYU, 3 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 9 --- at Utah Valley, 3 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (1-6) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a pair of in-state road games as it plays at BYU (3-4) on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 3 p.m., and at Utah Valley (2-6) on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 3 p.m. USU is 3-35 all-time against the Cougars and 8-4 all-time against the Wolverines.
L, 44-64 --- at Idaho State
at Maui Classic
L, 52-64 --- vs. Montana State
L, 55-94 --- vs. #19 Oregon State
• Utah State posted an 0-3 road record last week as it fell at Idaho State (64-44), before dropping contests against Montana State (64-52) and No. 19/21 Oregon State (94-55) at the Maui Classic. Against the Bengals, junior center Deja Mason led the Aggies with a season-high 10 points. Scoring was pretty evenly spread otherwise, including a career-high eight points from freshman guard Emmie Harris. Mason and sophomore guard/forward Shannon Dufficy were tops in rebounding, tallying six apiece. Overall, USU shot 28.3 percent (15-of-53) from the field, 15.8 percent (3-of-19) from the 3-point line and 73.3 percent (11-of-15) from the free throw line. ISU shot 41.1 percent (23-of-56) from the floor, 43.8 percent (7-of-16) from behind the arc and 78.6 percent (11-of-14) from the free throw line. Against the Bobcats, junior guard Rachel Brewster led the Aggies with 16 points, while sophomore guard Olivia West joined her in double figures with 13. Dufficy was the team’s leading rebounder, ending the night with eight. On the night, USU shot 39.1 percent (18-of-46) from the field, 33.3 percent (3-of-9) from the 3-point line and 59.1 percent (13-of-22) from the free throw line. MSU shot 41.8 percent (23-of-55) from the floor, 41.7 percent (10-of-24) from behind the arc and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line. Against the Beavers, Brewster led the Aggies in scoring for the second night in a row, scoring 16 points and earning all-tournament team honors. She was joined in double figures by sophomore guard/forward Hailey Bassett who scored 12 points. Sophomore guard Eliza West was the leading rebounder for USU, snagging a season-high five boards. Overall, USU shot 31.3 percent (21-of-67) from the field, 14.8 percent (4-of-27) from the 3-point line and 69.2 percent (9-of-13) from the free throw line. OSU shot 60.0 percent (42-of-70) from the floor, 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from behind the arc and 80.0 percent (4-of-5) from the free throw line.
USU Softball Set for...
Utah State softball (14-26, 4-11 MW) returns to Mountain West competition this weekend, as it...04/19/2018
Utah State Heads to...
Utah State's golf team will travel to Bremerton, Wash., this weekend to compete in the 2018...04/19/2018
Utah State Softball Opens...
Utah State softball continued its slate of in-state rivalry games Wednesday, as it dropped a home...04/18/2018
Utah State Track & Field...
Utah State's track & field teams are set to compete in three different events in California this ...04/18/2018
Utah State Gymnastics...
Utah State head gymnastics coach Amy Smith announced the signing of Glory Yoakum (Manvel, Texas) ...04/18/2018
Utah State Softball Hosting...
Utah State softball (14-25, 4-11 MW) continues in-state non-conference action this week as it...04/17/2018
Tauriawn Knight Set to Join...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head men’s basketball coach Craig Smith announced the...04/17/2018
Game Notes: Utah State...
Utah State softball (14-25, 4-11 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with four games. The...04/16/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Jaime BarajasSport: Men's Tennis
Class: SeniorJaime Barajas Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear