WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - DECEMBER 7, 2015
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Tues., Dec. 22 --- vs. Akron, 1:30 p.m. (MT)
• Utah State football (6-6, 5-3 MW) will conclude its 2015 season against Akron (7-5, 5-3 MAC) in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl on Tuesday, Dec. 22 at 1:30 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised nationally on ESPN. It is the first-ever meeting between the Aggies and Zips.
L, 28-51 --- BYU
• Redshirt senior QB Chuckie Keeton set a Utah State record for career touchdown passes, but it still wasn’t enough as the Aggies closed out the regular season with a 51-28 home loss to BYU last weekend. Keeton, who completed 20 passes on a career-high 45 attempts for 243 yards, eclipsed Jose Fuentes on the career touchdown list when he hit senior WR Hunter Sharp with a 24-yard touchdown pass to give the Aggies (6-6) a 21-10 lead with exactly three minutes left in the first half. Keeton, who also rushed for 54 yards and a touchdown on nine carries, entered the game tied with Fuentes at 60 career touchdown passes. It was Keeton’s 19th career 200-yard passing game. Sharp finished with a game-best seven receptions for 100 yards, marking his second 100-yard receiving game this year and the sixth of his career. Senior SS Marwin Evans led Utah State with a career-high 14 tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Junior LB Nick Vigil added nine stops for the Aggies, while also carrying the ball two times for five yards, including a 2-yard touchdown run. USU finished the game with 445 total yards (243 passing, 202 rushing), while BYU finished with 358 total yards (284 passing, 74 rushing). The Aggies won the time of possession battle as they had the ball for nearly 33 minutes.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Dec. 9 --- at BYU, 7 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 12 --- UC IRVINE, 7 p.m.
• Utah State men’s basketball (5-1) continues its 2015-16 season this week with a pair of non-conference games as it plays at BYU (5-2) on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at 7 p.m., and hosts UC Irvine (6-2) on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. The game against BYU will be televised live on BYU TV, while its game against UCI will be televised by ROOT Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683). USU is 92-138 all-time against the Cougars, including a 32-85 road record, and 31-27 all-time against the Anteaters, including a 17-10 home record.
W, 69-68 --- at Missouri State
• Utah State posted a 69-68 road win at Missouri State last week as it was led by junior wing Jalen Moore who scored a season-high 20 points. Senior guard Darius Perkins also scored a season-high as he finished with 12 points, and junior guard Shane Rector had 12 points and a season-high six assists, including a pair of free throws in the final seconds for the one-point win. Redshirt junior forward Lew Evans led USU with 11 rebounds, while scoring seven points. USU finished the game shooting 43.1 percent (25-of-58), including 43.5 percent (10-of-23) from 3-point range and 69.2 percent (9-of-13) at the free throw line. MSU shot 48.1 percent (25-of-52), including 41.2 percent (7-of-17) from 3-point range and 61.1 percent (11-of-18) at the free throw line.
Contact: Megan Allen - (435) 797-5547
Tues., Dec. 8 --- at Idaho State, 7 p.m.
Thur., Dec. 10 --- at Utah Valley, 7 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (3-3) continues its 2015-16 season this week with a pair of non-conference game as it plays at Idaho State (3-4) on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m., and at Utah Valley (6-4) on Thursday, Dec. 10 at 7 p.m. USU is 14-15 all-time against the Bengals and 6-3 all-time against the Wolverines.
L, 60-74 --- at Northern Colorado
W, 90-63 --- HASKELL INDIAN NATIONS
• Utah State posted a 1-1 record last week with a 74-60 loss at Northern Colorado and a 90-63 home win against Haskell Indian Nations. Against the Bears, sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu had 25 points, while freshman guard Katie Toole had her first career double-double with 11 points and a career-high 11 rebounds. Overall, USU shot 38.6 percent (22-of-57) from the field, 27.8 percent (5-of-18) from the 3-point line and 61.1 percent (11-of-18) from the free throw line. UNC shot 41.5 percent (27-of-65) from the field, 40.0 percent (12-of-30) from behind the arc and 80.0 percent (8-of-10) from the free throw line. Against the Indians, Nakkasoglu again led the Aggies in scoring with 27 points and was just shy of a double-double with nine assists. Senior forward Tijana Djukic had a career-best 19 points, while freshman guard Rachel Brewster matched her career-high with 17 points. Freshman center Deja Mason led the team in rebounding with nine boards, adding eight points. On the night, USU shot 50.0 percent (33-of-66) from the field, 27.3 percent (3-of-11) from the 3-point line and 72.4 percent (21-of-29) from the free throw line. Haskell shot 31.1 percent (19-of-61) from the field, 27.0 percent (10-of-37) from behind the arc and 78.9 percent (15-of-19) from the free throw line.
Utah State Has 64 Student-A...
LOGAN, Utah – The Mountain West announced its fall all-academic teams Wednesday and Utah...03/21/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (9-7, 0-0 MW) will host in-state rival BYU (8-4, 2-1 WCC) on Thursday, ...03/21/2018
Utah State Tight Ends...
Utah State football held its eighth spring practice Tuesday afternoon on Merlin Olsen Field at...03/20/2018
USU Softball Playing...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) will play a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday, March...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the Mountain West Outdoor Field...03/20/2018
Sindri Gudmundsson Named...
Utah State javelin thrower Sindri Gudmundsson has been named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross...03/20/2018
Utah State’s Bill...
Utah State Assistant AD for Video Operations Bill Garren has been named the 2017-18 Collegiate...03/20/2018
Game Notes: Aggie Softball ...
Utah State softball (9-14, 0-3 MW) continues its 2018 season this week with five games as it...03/19/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Sindri GudmundssonSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SophomoreSindri Gudmundsson Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear