WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - DECEMBER 18, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl, Tucson, Ariz.
Fri., Dec. 29 --- New Mexico State, 3:30 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
• Utah State football (6-6, 4-4 MW) will conclude its 2017 season against New Mexico State (6-6, 4-4 Sun Belt) in the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl in Tucson, Ariz., on Friday, Dec. 29 at 3:30 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 30-7 all-time against NMSU, which includes a 20-13 loss in the 1960 Sun Bowl, in the only other neutral site meeting between the two teams. Overall, USU and NMSU spent 26 years together as conference foes.
L, 35-38 --- at Air Force
• Utah State rallied twice in the fourth quarter against Air Force. Unfortunately for the Aggies, they needed a third, but didn’t get it. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan Love completed 17-of-30 passes for 284 yards and a career-high-tying two touchdowns, but the Falcons scored with 1:38 remaining in the game to pull out a wild 38-35 Mountain West home win on Nov. 25, 2017. With the loss, Utah State closed out the regular season with a 6-6 overall mark and 4-4 record in conference play. Air Force ended at 5-7 and 4-4. The two teams finished tied for fourth in league play. Air Force quarterback Isaiah Sanders rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries. His final score of the night was from 10 yards out with 1:38 to go in the fourth quarter, giving the Falcons their final margin of victory. Sophomore wide receiver Gerold Bright led the Aggies in rushing with a career-best 102 yards on nine carries, including a career-long 75-yard touchdown run that gave Utah State a 14-3 lead midway through the opening quarter. Fellow wide receiver, junior Aaren Vaughns, added a career-high 69 yards rushing and one touchdown on two carries. He scored on a 71-yard reverse less than two minutes into the first quarter for the game’s first touchdown. Senior running back LaJuan Hunt produced the Aggies’ third rushing touchdown of the first half on an 11-yard run with 5:56 to go in the second quarter, giving Utah State a 21-10 lead. Junior wide receiver Ron’quavion Tarver led Utah State in receiving with four catches for 86 yards and a career-best two touchdowns, while senior wide receiver Braelon Roberts finished with three receptions for a career-high 64 yards. As a team, the Aggies gained 521 yards of total offense – 284 through the air and 237 on the ground. Conversely, Air Force had 440 yards of offense, the majority of which came on the ground to the tune of 407 yards. Redshirt freshman linebacker David Woodward led USU’s defense with a career-high 13 tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Junior linebacker Suli Tamaivena added 11 stops.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Dec. 20 --- YOUNGSTOWN STATE, 7 p.m.
• Utah State men’s basketball (6-6) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a home game against Youngstown State (2-8) on Wednesday, Dec. 20, at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available to watch live on www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch. It will be the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
W, 96-62 --- LIFE PACIFIC
• Utah State had five players score in double figures and shot a season-high 60.0 percent (36-of-60) from the floor en route to a 96-62 home win against Life Pacific last weekend. Against the Warriors, junior forward Dwayne Brown Jr., scored a career-high 24 points and was followed by sophomore guard Koby McEwen with 20, sophomore guard Sam Merrill with 14, senior guard Julion Pearre with 12 and junior forward Quinn Taylor with 10. In addition to shooting a season high from the floor, the Aggies also tied a season high with 13 made 3-point shots, finishing 13-of-26 from behind the arc, for a 50.0 percent clip from deep. USU also shot better than 75 percent at the free throw line for the third consecutive game, finishing 11-of-14 at the charity stripe for a 78.6 percent clip. Life Pacific was led by a trio of double-digit scorers and finished the game shooting 34.9 percent (22-of-63) from the floor, 34.3 percent (12-of-35) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (6-of-9) at the free throw line.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Mon., Dec. 18 --- UTAH, 7 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (2-8) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a home game against Utah (7-2) on Monday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and will be available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch. USU is 4-32 all-time against the Utes.
L, 72-74 OT --- DENVER
• Utah State posted an 0-1 home record last week with a 74-72 overtime loss to Denver. Sophomore guard Olivia West led the Aggies in scoring with 20 points for her third 20-point game of the season. Sophomore guard/forward Shannon Dufficy notched her fifth double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds, and redshirt sophomore guard Victoria Price made her first start of the year, tallying a season-best 12 points and matching her career-high with six assists. Junior center Deja Mason also added a season-best four blocks. Overall, Utah State shot 36.1 percent (26-of-72) from the field, 43.5 percent (10-of-23) from the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (10-of-15) from the free throw line. Denver shot 39.1 percent (27-of-69) from the floor, 38.5 percent (10-of-26) from behind the arc and 62.5 percent (10-of-16) from the free throw line.
Utah State's Jacoby Wildman...
Utah State junior defensive end Jacoby Wildman is one of 169 college football players from across...07/17/2018
Utah State Volleyball Earns...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State volleyball was one of 164 NCAA Division I programs honored with the...07/16/2018
Utah State's Sindri...
Utah State’s Sindri Gudmundsson captured the javelin title with a throw of 77.01 meters (25...07/16/2018
Registration Now Open For...
Registration is now open for the 2018-19 Junior Aggie Kids Club program, which provides special...07/16/2018
2018 Women's Volleyball...
Utah State senior libero Tasia Taylor and sophomore middle Bailey Downing share their experiences...07/06/2018
Utah State Basketball Earns...
LOGAN, Utah – The Utah State men’s basketball team has earned the National...07/12/2018
Utah State Announces Event ...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State athletics has announced changes to its event operations staff with...07/12/2018
Q&A With USU Women's...
Cori Smith was named the director of basketball operations for the Aggies on June 14 after...07/11/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Dillon MaggardSport: Men's Track & Field
Class: SeniorDillon Maggard Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear