LOGAN, Utah -
WEEKLY AGGIE UPDATE - DECEMBER 24, 2017
Contact: Doug Hoffman - (435) 797-3714
NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl, Tucson, Ariz.
Fri., Dec. 29 --- New Mexico State, 3:30 p.m. (MT) (CBS SN)
• Utah State football (6-6, 4-4 MW) will conclude its 2017 season against New Mexico State (6-6, 4-4 Sun Belt) in the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl in Tucson, Ariz., on Friday, Dec. 29 at 3:30 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269/753HD, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221). USU is 30-7 all-time against NMSU, which includes a 20-13 loss in the 1960 Sun Bowl, in the only other neutral site meeting between the two teams. Overall, USU and NMSU spent 26 years together as conference foes.
L, 35-38 --- at Air Force
• Utah State rallied twice in the fourth quarter against Air Force. Unfortunately for the Aggies, they needed a third, but didn’t get it. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan Love completed 17-of-30 passes for 284 yards and a career-high-tying two touchdowns, but the Falcons scored with 1:38 remaining in the game to pull out a wild 38-35 Mountain West home win on Nov. 25, 2017. With the loss, Utah State closed out the regular season with a 6-6 overall mark and 4-4 record in conference play. Air Force ended at 5-7 and 4-4. The two teams finished tied for fourth in league play. Air Force quarterback Isaiah Sanders rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries. His final score of the night was from 10 yards out with 1:38 to go in the fourth quarter, giving the Falcons their final margin of victory. Sophomore wide receiver Gerold Bright led the Aggies in rushing with a career-best 102 yards on nine carries, including a career-long 75-yard touchdown run that gave Utah State a 14-3 lead midway through the opening quarter. Fellow wide receiver, junior Aaren Vaughns, added a career-high 69 yards rushing and one touchdown on two carries. He scored on a 71-yard reverse less than two minutes into the first quarter for the game’s first touchdown. Senior running back LaJuan Hunt produced the Aggies’ third rushing touchdown of the first half on an 11-yard run with 5:56 to go in the second quarter, giving Utah State a 21-10 lead. Junior wide receiver Ron’quavion Tarver led Utah State in receiving with four catches for 86 yards and a career-best two touchdowns, while senior wide receiver Braelon Roberts finished with three receptions for a career-high 64 yards. As a team, the Aggies gained 521 yards of total offense – 284 through the air and 237 on the ground. Conversely, Air Force had 440 yards of offense, the majority of which came on the ground to the tune of 407 yards. Redshirt freshman linebacker David Woodward led USU’s defense with a career-high 13 tackles, including 1.0 tackles for loss. Junior linebacker Suli Tamaivena added 11 stops.
Contact: Kyle Cottam - (435) 797-2066
Wed., Dec. 27 --- SAN JOSÉ STATE, 7 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 30 --- at San Diego State, 8 p.m. (MT) (ESPN3)
• Utah State men’s basketball (7-6, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it hosts San José State (3-8, 0-0 MW) on Wednesday, Dec. 27, at 7 p.m., and plays at San Diego State (8-3, 0-0 MW) on Saturday, Dec. 30, at 8 p.m. (MT). USU’s game against SJSU will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available to watch live on www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch, while its game at SDSU will be streamed live on ESPN3 and available at watchespn.com. USU is 59-21 all-time against the Spartans including a 33-4 home record, and 3-9 all-time against the Aztecs, including a 1-4 road record.
W, 91-74 --- YOUNGSTOWN STATE
• Utah State closed out its non-conference slate with a 91-74 home win against Youngstown State last week. Junior guard DeAngelo Isby led four players in double figures with a career-high 26 points, followed by sophomore guard Sam Merrill with 18, junior forward Dwayne Brown Jr., with 16, and junior forward Quinn Taylor with a double-double performance of 13 points and a team-high 10 rebounds. USU finished the game shooting 59.6 percent (31-of-52) from the floor, 31.6 percent (6-of-19) from behind the 3-point line and 65.7 percent (23-of-35) at the free throw line. The Penguins finished the night shooting 42.4 percent (25-of-59) from the floor, 34.8 percent (8-of-23) from behind the 3-point line and 69.6 percent (16-of-23) at the free throw line.
Contact: Megan McCuistion - (435) 797-5547
Thur., Dec. 28 --- at San José State, 8 p.m. (MT)
Sat., Dec. 30 --- SAN DIEGO STATE, 2 p.m.
• Utah State women’s basketball (2-9, 0-0 MW) continues its 2017-18 season this week with a pair of Mountain West games as it plays at San José State (3-9, 0-0 MW) on Thursday, Dec. 28, at 8 p.m. (MT) and hosts San Diego State (6-4, 0-0 MW) on Saturday, Dec. 30, at 2 p.m. Both games will be streamed live on the Mountain West Network and available at www.UtahStateAggies.com/watch. USU is 16-9 all-time against the Spartans and 4-5 all-time against the Aztecs.
L, 44-79 --- UTAH
• Utah State posted an 0-1 home record last week with a 79-44 loss to Utah. Utah State was led by two double-figure scorers in sophomore guard Olivia West and sophomore guard/forward Hailey Bassett who tallied 22 and 13 points, respectively. Sophomore guard/forward Shannon Dufficy led the Aggies with six rebounds. Overall, USU shot 32.7 percent (17-of-52) from the floor, 20.0 percent (3-of-15) from the 3-point line and 77.8 percent (7-of-8) from the free throw line. Utah shot 52.5 percent (31-of-59) from the field, including 40.9 percent (9-of-22) from behind the arc, and was 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from the free throw line.
Utah State Men's Tennis...
Utah State men's tennis (2-1) lost 4-3 to Utah (3-0) in Salt Lake City on Sunday.01/21/2018
Utah State Rallies From 22 ...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State erased a 22-point first-half deficit against Wyoming, but could...01/20/2018
Aggie Women's Hoops Falls...
Utah State women's basketball dropped a road contest at leauge-leading Wyoming, Saturday, falling...01/20/2018
Utah State Women's Tennis...
Utah State women's tennis (1-0) opened its dual match season with a 6-1 victory over Southern...01/20/2018
Utah State Gymnastics Beats...
Utah State’s gymnastics team opened the home portion of its schedule in emphatic fashion...01/20/2018
Brenn Flint Sets Shot Put...
Utah State’s men’s and women’s track & field teams collected nine first-place ...01/19/2018
Utah State Adds Izzie...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State head volleyball coach Grayson DuBose has announced the addition of Izzie...01/19/2018
USU Women's Basketball Back...
Utah State women's basketball (4-14, 2-5 MW) is set to take on league-leading Wyoming (11-5, 4-1 ...01/19/2018
Student-Athlete of the Week
Brenn FlintSport: Women's Indoor Track & Field
Class: JuniorBrenn Flint Named America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Official Aggie Gear