LAS VEGAS, Nev. -
UTAH STATE MEN’S BASKETBALL
Post-Game Notes vs. San Jose State (3/8/17)
* Utah State improved to 3-0 in the first round of the Mountain West Tournament, playing in the No. 8 vs. No. 9 game in all three contests. Overall, USU is now 41-30 in conference tournaments, including a 3-3 record in the Mountain West Tournament.
* Utah State is now 2-1 in conference tournaments under head coach Tim Duryea.
* Utah State’s 59 second-half points are a Mountain West Tournament record for most points in either half. It is also the most points scored by USU in a half since scoring 60 first-half points against Oakland in the semifinals of the 2012 Collegiate Invitational Tournament.
* Utah State improved to 14-5 this season and 28-7 under Duryea when scoring 70-plus points, and 8-2 this season and 16-4 under Duryea when scoring 80-plus points.
* Utah State improved to 9-5 this season and 19-5 under Duryea when allowing less than 70 points.
* Utah State’s 90 points are the second-most ever scored in a conference tournament, trailing only the 93 points scored in a 93-90 win against UC Irvine in the quarterfinals of the 1981 Big West Tournament.
* Utah State shot 56.0 percent (33-of-59), marking the 10th time this season it has shot at least 50 percent and USU is now 9-1 in those games.
* Utah State shot 59.0 percent (10-of-17) from 3-point range, marking the fourth time this year that it has shot at least 50 percent from behind the arc and USU is now 3-1 in those games. It is also the eighth time this year that USU has made at least 10 treys in a game and it is now 6-2 in those games.
* Utah State was out-rebounded for the 12th time this season (33-31) and improved to just 2-10 this season when it is out-rebounded. Furthermore, USU’s three offensive rebounds are tied for its fewest in a game this year as it also had three offensive rebounds at San Jose State (2/22/17) and at UC Irvine (11/11/16).
* Utah State’s 22 assists are tied for the second-most in a game this season and it is just the fifth time this season that it dished out at least 20 assists in a game. Overall, USU is now 5-0 this year with 20-plus assists.
* Utah State’s 10 turnovers are tied for its second-fewest in a game this year.
* Utah State scored a season-high 42 points in the paint and out-scored San Jose State by 24 points (42-18) in the paint, which is also a season-high.
* Utah State held San Jose State to 35.3 percent (18-of-51) shooting, marking the ninth time this year it has held its opponent to under 40 percent shooting and USU is now 7-2 in those games.
* Senior wing Jalen Moore had 19 points and has now scored in double-figures for the 29th time this season and 90th time in his career, which ranks tied for fifth all-time in school history with Brian Jackson (1978-81). Moore also had seven rebounds, marking the 20th time this season and 74th time in his career he has grabbed at least five rebounds in a game. With his seven rebounds, Moore moved ahead of Preston Bailess (646) and Dean Hunger (649) and into 17th place all-time in school history with 650 career rebounds. Overall, Moore is now just two rebounds shy of tying his dad, Jimmy Moore, for 16th all-time in school history with 652 career boards.
* Senior wing Jalen Moore started his 96th career game, which is tied with Brian Jackson (1978-81) for ninth all-time in school history.
* Senior wing Jalen Moore had two dunks in the game, giving him a team-leading 16 this season.
* Freshman guard Koby McEwen scored in double-figures for the 23rd time this season with his 27 points. Overall, it is his seventh 20-point game of the season, which is the most by a USU freshman since Jaycee Carroll also had seven 20-plus point games during his freshman season in 2005.
* Freshman guard Koby McEwen’s 27 points are the most scored by a Utah State player in a postseason game since Tony Brown had 29 points against Pacific in the semifinals of the 2002 Big West Tournament. Furthermore, those 27 points by McEwen are a freshman school-record for points in a postseason, bettering the 22 points Jaycee Carroll scored against Pacific in the championship game of the 2005 Big West Tournament.
* Freshman guard Sam Merrill had 11 points for his 14th double-figure scoring game of the season. Merrill also added eight assists and six rebounds, marking the eighth time this season he has dished out at least five assists and the seventh time he has grabbed at least five boards. Merrill also tied his season-high with three steals.
* For freshman guard Sam Merrill, it is the third time this season that he has had five-plus assists and five-plus rebounds in the same game. The only other game this year where Merrill scored in double-figures and had five-plus assists and five-plus rebounds was at San Jose State (2/22/17) as he scored 22 points and added six rebounds and five assists.
* Freshman guard Sam Merrill also took his sixth charge of the season, which ranks as the second-most on the team.
* Sophomore forward Quinn Taylor scored in double-figures for the fourth time this year and seventh time in his career with his 11 points.
Registration Now Available ...
LOGAN, Utah – Registration is now available for the Tim Duryea basketball camps with three ...04/17/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head men’s basketball coach Tim Duryea announced the...04/14/2017
Utah State's Jalen Moore...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State seniors Jalen Moore and Shane Rector will take part in the...04/13/2017
Men's Basketball 2016-17...
Utah State men's basketball's 2016-17 season made up of records by senior wing Jalen Moore and...04/05/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State men’s basketball recognized their own at its annual end-of-y...03/29/2017
Jalen Moore Named Second-Te...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State senior wing Jalen Moore has been named second-team all-district 17...03/22/2017
Utah State Loses to Nevada ...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Utah State lost an 83-69 decision to Nevada on Thursday afternoon, ending...03/09/2017
Utah State to Face No. 1...03/08/2017
Official Aggie Gear