USU Men's Basketball Post-Game Notes - UTSA
Dec. 29, 2012
SAN ANTONIO -
* Utah State is now 10-1 for the first time since 2008-09, and just the seventh time in school history.
* USU is 1-0 in WAC play for the fifth time in its eight years in the league, improving to 5-3 in WAC openers, winning its last three in a row and five of the last six after dropping its first two WAC openers.
* The Aggies also are 22-13 all-time in their first conference games of the season.
* Utah State is 3-0 on the road this season and has won its last five road games as part of 24 of its last 37 road games (.649) dating back to the 2009-10 season and is 102-81 (.557) in road games under head coach Stew Morrill, including a 71-45 (.612) against conference opponents.
* USU has won 38 of its last 45 WAC games (.844) and is 63-15 (.808) against teams from the WAC during the last six seasons.
* Overall, the Aggies have a 145-84 (.633) WAC record in their eight seasons in the conference.
* Utah State is 88-23 (.793) during the month of December under Morrill, including 15-19 (.441) on the road. The Aggies are also 22-7 (.759) all-time in known games on Dec. 29.
* USU also improves to 7-0 this season in games played on Saturday and are 141-52 (.731) in games played on Saturday under Morrill.
* The Aggies hit the 70-point mark for the fourth-straight game, winning all four and USU is now 7-0 this season when scoring at least 70 points and USU has won 83 of its last 88 games (.943) when reaching 70 points and is 225-30 (.882) all-time under Morrill when scoring 70 points in a game.
* USU's 39 points in first half is the most scored in any half on the road and tied for second-most in the first 20 minutes this season, matching 39 vs. UC Davis and behind 43 vs. Nicholls State.
* Utah State is now 8-0 this season and have won 74 of its last 76 games (.974) when leading at the half. Over the last 13 years, USU is 281-25 (.918) when holding a lead at intermission.
* The Aggies shot a season-high 62.2 percent (28-of-45) Saturday night, USU's highest field goal percentage since 63.8 percent against Oakland in last season's CIT semifinal win.
* USU shot a season-low 47.6 percent (10-of-21) at the free throw line, its lowest free throw percentage since 25.0 percent (1-of-4) at Nevada last season.
* With his season-high 24 points Saturday, junior guard Preston Medlin has now scored in double-figures in each of the last three games and it was his eighth double-digit outing this season and 40th of career.
* Medlin has scored his two 20+ point games this season in the last three games and now has 15 20-point games in his career.
* After not making more than two three-pointers in the first eight games of the season, Medlin has now made three or more in last three games, and now has 23 career games with three or more three-pointers.
* Junior guard/forward Spencer Butterfield tied his Aggie career-high with 14 points for the third-straight game played, returning to action after missing the Southern Illinois game with illness.
* Junior center Jarred Shaw scored in double-figures for the eighth time this season with 11 points Saturday, remaining tied with Medlin for the team lead.
* Shaw led USU in rebounding for the team-leading seventh time this season with his game-high tying nine boards Saturday.
* With two dunks Saturday, Shaw now has four jams on the season, ranking second on the team behind senior forward Kyisean Reed's nine.
* With nine points Saturday, Reed has scored seven or more points in all 11 games and has nine or more in each of the last four games.
* Freshman guard Marcel Davis dished out a team-high four assists, marking the second time this season leading USU in assists, and he now has five games with three or more helpers, including 16 (4.0 apg) in his last four games.