Things Of Note
• Fans can listen to the game on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller providing color. Fans can also watch the game on the CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221) with Carter Blackburn providing play-by-play and Pete Gillen providing color.
• UNLV leads the all-time series against Utah State, 31-4, and has won four of the last five. Utah State is 3-12 all-time against the Runnin’ Rebels at home.
• Utah State faced a Marvin Menzies-coached New Mexico State side 17 times as members of the Western Athletic Conference and compiled an overall mark of 9-8. The total includes a 6-1 record against NMSU inside the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
• Senior wing Jalen Moore has scored in double figures in 27 consecutive games and needs four more games in double figures to tie the ninth-longest streak of double-digit outings in school history.
• Moore has scored 20 or more points in each of the last three games and needs one more point to tie Preston Medlin (2010, 12-14) for No. 16 on the all-time scoring list with 1,368 career points. Moore’s three-game streak is the longest since Tai Wesley scored 20 or more points in three consecutive games during the 2010-11 season.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West with 14.1 points, 3.0 assists and 30.6 minutes per game.
• McEwen has scored more points than anyone on the floor in the second half during Utah State’s games in the Mountain West, logging 17 points against both Boise State and Air Force and 16 points against New Mexico. Overall, McEwen is shooting 55.0 percent (11-of-20) from the floor, 69.2 percent (9-of-13) from behind the 3-point line and 95.0 percent (19-of-20) at the free throw line over the final 20 minutes.
• Utah State leads the Mountain West with 9.7 3-point field goals made per game and is the only team with three players ranked in the top 10 of the MW in 3-point field goal percentage, including Sam Merrill (.538, first), Koby McEwen (.529, fourth) and Jalen Moore (.417, ninth) during MW play.
UNLV is 8-8 on the year, including a 1-2 mark in the Mountain West. The Runnin’ Rebels’ lone victory in league play came against Wyoming at home, 81-75.
UNLV is averaging 72.4 points per game and shooting 41.4 percent (389-of-940) from the floor, 34.8 percent (115-of-330) from behind the 3-point line and 69.3 percent (266-of-384) at the free throw line. Sophomore guard Jalen Poyser leads UNLV in scoring with 13.8 points per game and is followed closely by senior forward Tyrell Green with 13.1 points per game. Senior forward Christian Jones is the final player for the Runnin’ Rebels averaging double digits, turning in 10.0 points per game. Junior forward Dwayne Morgan leads the team on the glass, averaging 7.3 rebounds per game, and Poyser and junior guard Jovan Mooring are tied for the team lead with 3.3 assists per game.
Defensively, teams are averaging 74.7 points per game against UNLV and shooting 44.3 percent (443-of-999), 34.3 percent (121-of-353) from behind the 3-point line and 66.7 percent (188-of-282) at the free throw line. Freshman forward Cheickna Dembele leads the team with 12 blocks and senior guard Uche Ofoegbu leads UNLV with 17 steals.
Head coach Marvin Menzies is in his first season at UNLV, joining the Runnin’ Rebels after serving as the head coach at New Mexico State for nine years. Menzies led the Aggies to three first-place finishes in the WAC and five conference tournament championships.
Series History Against UNLV
UNLV is one of only three programs in the Mountain West that has a winning record in the all-time series against Utah State. The Runnin’ Rebels hold a 31-4 advantage in the series and have won four of the last five.
Last Time Against UNLV
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State’s men’s basketball team had its two-game winning streak snapped on Jan. 19, 2016, falling to UNLV 80-68 in front of 9,394 fans at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
Senior guard Chris Smith led the Aggies (11-7, 3-4 Mountain West) with 16 points on 5-of-12 shooting from the field, to go along with a team-high-tying seven rebounds. It was the fourth straight game Smith has scored in double figures.
Junior guard Shane Rector and redshirt junior forward Lew Evans both came off the bench to add 12 points apiece, while Evans also pulled down seven rebounds for Utah State, which shot just 39.1 percent on the night (25-of-64), including just 32.4 percent in the second half alone (11-of-34).
Freshman forward Derrick Jones Jr. led five UNLV players in double-figure scoring as he had 21 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field, helping the Runnin’ Rebels spoil Utah State’s Black-Out Game. Sophomore forward Dwayne Morgan added 13 points for UNLV (12-7, 3-3), while freshman forward Stephen Zimmerman Jr. had 12 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks. Senior guard Jerome Seagers also scored 12 and sophomore guard Jordan Cornish chipped in 10 points off the bench.
The Runnin’ Rebels shot 53.4 percent on the night (31-of-58), including a 60.7 percent clip in the second half (17-of-28).
Utah State will travel to Wyoming on Wednesday, Jan. 11, and face the Cowboys at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play. Fans can also watch the game on ROOT Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683/687) with Drew Goodman providing the play-by-play and Sed Bonner as the analyst.
Utah State Set to Begin MW ...03/06/2017
Jalen Moore Has...
LOGAN, Utah – When Jalen Moore first came to Utah State, he didn’t know how good he...03/06/2017
Senior Guard Connor Garner ...
LOGAN, Utah – It was a moment that most kids dream of. The home crowd was chanting his name...03/06/2017
Koby McEwen Unanimous...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State freshman guard Koby McEwen was a unanimous selection for the...03/05/2017
USU Men’s Basketball ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball will enter the Mountain West Men’s...03/05/2017
Utah State Men's Basketball...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Utah State men’s basketball (13-16, 7-11 Mountain West) lost 66-59 to...03/02/2017
Utah State Punctuates...02/27/2017
Utah State Earns 89-58...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball (13-15, 7-10 Mountain West) won 89-58 against Air...02/25/2017
Official Aggie Gear