Live Stats | Listen Live | USU Game Notes | WatchESPN
• Utah State will play at San Diego State on Saturday, Jan. 14, with the tip-off scheduled for 8 p.m. (MT).
• San Diego State leads the series 7-3 and has won seven straight. It is the shortest series for Utah State against current Mountain West opponents.
Things Of Note
• Senior wing Jalen Moore has scored in double figures in 29 consecutive games and needs two more games in double figures to tie the ninth-longest streak of double-digit outings in school history. Moore has scored in double figures in four consecutive games against the Aztecs.
• Moore is currently No. 15 on the all-time scoring list at Utah State with 1,399 career points. Next on the list is Kevin Nixon (1985-88) with 1,456 career points.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West with 15.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists, a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio and 30.8 minutes per game. McEwen is also tops among MW freshmen behind the 3-point line, shooting 45.6 percent (31-of-68).
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup the last three games, freshman guard Sam Merrill has scored in double figures in three straight games. Merrill also leads the Mountain West in conference games with a 7.0 assist/turnover ratio.
• Utah State is second in the Mountain West with 10.0 3-point field goals made per game in league play and is the only team with two players ranked in the top five of the MW in 3-point field goal percentage, including Koby McEwen (.593, 1st) and Sam Merrill (.500, 4th).
• Senior guard Shane Rector recorded a career-high six steals the last time Utah State played at San Diego State. The six steals were the first for an Aggie since Jarobi Kemp recorded six against UC Irvine in the Big West Tournament on March 11, 1994.
Scouting San Diego State
San Diego State is 9-7 on the year and 1-3 in the Mountain West, picking up its first conference victory on Tuesday night in a 76-61 win at home over San José State.
The Aztecs are scoring 70.3 points per game and shooting 42.4 percent (389-of-918) from the floor, 33.5 percent (128-of-382) from behind the 3-point line and 71.8 percent (219-of-305) at the free throw line. Jeremy Hemsley leads SDSU in scoring with 16.2 points per game and is followed by Trey Kell with 12.7 points per game and Zylan Cheatham with 11.0 points per game. The trio also lead the Aztecs in assists, with Kell on top with 48, followed by Hemsley with 38 and Cheatham with 28.
Defensively, San Diego State opponents have averaged 63.4 points per game, while shooting 39.2 percent (363-of-925) from the floor, 32.7 percent (117-of-358) from behind the 3-point line and 67.7 percent (172-of-254) at the free throw line. Kell leads the team with 25 steals and Valentine Izundu leads the Aztecs with 19 blocks.
Head coach Steve Fisher is 376-202 all-time with the Aztecs, including a 7-0 record against Utah State.
Series History against San Diego State
San Diego State leads the all-time series 7-3 against Utah State, claiming each of the last seven contests since the Aggies joined the Mountain West for the 2013-14 season. The series is the shortest among all current Mountain West opponents for Utah State.
Last Time Against San Diego State
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Utah State’s run in the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Basketball Championship came to an end on March 10, 2016, with a 71-65 loss to top-seeded San Diego State at the Thomas and Mack Center.
Redshirt junior forward Lew Evans led four double-figure scorers for Utah State with 15 points to go along with seven rebounds. Junior wing Jalen Moore added 14 points and nine rebounds, while sophomore guard Julion Pearre scored 12 points off the bench, and junior guard Shane Rector finished with 11 points and a season-high seven assists.
Trey Kell had 17 points to lead San Diego State, while Malik Pope scored 15 points and Winston Shepard added 12 points and eight rebounds.
Utah State finished the game shooting 41.7 percent (20-of-48) overall, including 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from 3-point range, while converting 63.3 percent (19-of-30) of its free throws. San Diego State shot 39.7 percent (23-of-58) from the field, including 40.0 percent (6-of-15) from behind the arc and 63.3 percent (19-of-30) at the charity stripe. USU also out-rebounded the Aztecs by seven boards (40-33) and had two more assists (12-10) in the game, but also committed three more turnovers (9-6).
Last Time Against San Diego State in San Diego
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Utah State men’s basketball had a lead early in the second half, but ultimately lost the game at San Diego State on Jan. 23, 2016, in a 70-55 defeat.
Junior guard Shane Rector led three Aggies in double figures, scoring a career-high 15 points and added a career-high six steals. He was followed by senior guard Darius Perkins with 13 points and junior wing Jalen Moore with 11. Redshirt freshman forward Quinn Taylor paced the Aggies on the glass, collecting eight rebounds.
San Diego State was led by its starting backcourt tandem of Jeremy Hemsley and Trey Kell with 18 and 15 points, respectively. They were followed by Angelo Chol off the bench with 12. Overall, SDSU shot 45.3 percent (24-of-53) from the floor, 31.3 percent (5-of-16) from behind the 3-point line and 77.3 percent (17-of-22) from the free throw line.
Utah State finished its night 36.7 percent (22-of-60) from the floor, 29.2 percent (7-of-24) from behind the 3-point line and 57.1 percent (4-of-7) from the free throw line.
Utah State will return to the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum and host Colorado State on Saturday, Jan. 21 at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller providing color. Fans can also watch the game via CampusInsiders.
Registration Now Available ...
LOGAN, Utah – Registration is now available for the Tim Duryea basketball camps with three ...04/17/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head men’s basketball coach Tim Duryea announced the...04/14/2017
Utah State's Jalen Moore...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State seniors Jalen Moore and Shane Rector will take part in the...04/13/2017
Men's Basketball 2016-17...
Utah State men's basketball's 2016-17 season made up of records by senior wing Jalen Moore and...04/05/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State men’s basketball recognized their own at its annual end-of-y...03/29/2017
Jalen Moore Named Second-Te...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State senior wing Jalen Moore has been named second-team all-district 17...03/22/2017
Utah State Loses to Nevada ...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Utah State lost an 83-69 decision to Nevada on Thursday afternoon, ending...03/09/2017
Utah State to Face No. 1...03/08/2017
Official Aggie Gear