Live Stats | Listen Live | Watch Live | Game Notes
• Utah State returns to the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum and hosts Fresno State on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller providing color. Fans can also watch the game via the Mountain West Network, online at utahstateaggies.com/videos.
Things Of Note
• Senior wing Jalen Moore has scored in double figures in 32 consecutive games, the seventh-longest streak in Utah State history. Furthermore, Moore has scored in double figures in 19 consecutive conference games. Overall, Moore has scored in double figures 80 times in his career, sixth all-time in Utah State history.
• Moore is currently No. 15 on the all-time scoring list at Utah State with 1,440 career points. Next on the list is Kevin Nixon (1985-88) with 1,456 career points.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West with 14.6 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 30.7 minutes per game.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup over the past five games, freshman guard Sam Merrill has averaged 12.2 points per game. Merrill was averaging 6.3 points per game when coming off of the bench.
• Utah State leads the Mountain West in 3-point field goal percentage (.391) in conference games and is the only team with two players ranked in the top five of the MW in 3-point field goal percentage, including Koby McEwen (.487, 2nd) and Sam Merrill (.457, 3rd).
Scouting Fresno State
Fresno State is 13-7 on the year, 5-3 in the Mountain West and winners of its last three games, including an 81-76 victory at league-leading Nevada in its last time out.
Fresno State is averaging 75.3 points per game and shooting 48.0 percent (539-of-1,124) from the floor, 35.7 percent (126-of-353) from behind the 3-point line and 65.1 percent (302-of-464) at the free throw line. The Bulldogs have five players averaging double-digit scoring numbers, including Paul Watson (13.5 ppg), Jaron Hopkins (12.7 ppg), Jahmel Taylor (12.6 ppg), Karachi Edo (11.0 ppg) and Cullen Russo (10.2 ppg). Hopkins leads the team with 75 assists, averaging 3.75 per game. Edo leads the team on the glass, averaging 6.8 rebounds per game, appearing in just nine of the team’s 20 games this season.
Defensively, teams are averaging 70.7 points per game against the Bulldogs, shooting 40.9 percent (465-of-1,136) from the floor, 31.1 percent (133-of-427) from behind the 3-point line and 74.2 percent (350-of-472) at the free throw line. Hopkins is also tops for the Bulldogs with 44 steals and Edo leads Fresno State with 17 blocks.
Head coach Rodney Terry is in his sixth season, compiling an overall mark of 98-91 over that span, including a 5-2 record against Utah State.
Series History Against Fresno State
Utah State and Fresno State will meet for the 57th time, the 14th-longest series in USU history. USU leads the all-time series 32-24, including a 22-7 advantage at home.
Last Time Against Fresno State
LOGAN, Utah – In the final regular season home game of the 2015-16 season, Utah State’s men’s basketball team fell short with a chance to win in the closing seconds, losing to Fresno State 86-85 on March 5, 2016, in front of 9,870 fans at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
Utah State had a chance to tie the game at 86-apiece with 3.8 seconds left when junior wing Jalen Moore was fouled while attempting a 3-point shot in front of the Aggies’ bench. Moore made the first two free throws to pull the hosts within one. Following a timeout by Fresno State (22-9, 13-5 MW), Moore missed the third free throw attempt and the Bulldogs’ Marvelle Harris grabbed the rebound. Harris was fouled with 3.1 seconds to go, but the senior guard missed both free throws. Moore grabbed the rebound for the Aggies, but his outlet pass was a little too high and Fresno State held on.
Moore led the Aggies with 22 points on 7-of-14 shooting from the field, including 3-of-6 from beyond the arc, and 5-of-6 from the charity stripe. Senior guard Chris Smith chipped in 18 points and five rebounds for Utah State, while sophomore guard Julion Pearre and redshirt junior forward Lew Evans added 16 and 10 points apiece, respectively, off the bench.
The Aggies shot 27-of-59 (45.8 percent) from the field, including 11-of-24 (45.8 percent) from 3-point range, and 20-of-27 (74.1 percent) from the foul line. Fresno State shot 31-of-61 (50.8 percent) from the field and 18-of-27 (66.7 percent) from the free-throw line.
Utah State will open the month of February, hosting Nevada on Wednesday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller providing color. Fans can also watch the game via ESPN3, online at watchespn.com.
Tim Duryea Coach’s Show
Utah State head coach Tim Duryea will join Al Lewis on most Mondays throughout the men’s basketball season from 6:05 to 7 p.m. The next show is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 30, at the Pizza Pie Cafe on 1400 North.
Basketball Coach’s Luncheon
Utah State men’s basketball will host seven coach’s luncheons this season, hosted by Aggies Unlimited. The next luncheon is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 30, on the third floor of the West Stadium Center in Maverik Stadium.
Craig Smith Named Utah...
Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hartwell announced Monday...03/26/2018
Koby McEwen Named Second-Te...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State sophomore guard Koby McEwen has been named second-team all-distric...03/13/2018
Tim Duryea Relieved of His ...
Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hartwell announced today (Mar...03/11/2018
Utah State Loses 83-68 to...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Utah State men's basketball lost, 83-68, to New Mexico on Friday night in its...03/10/2018
Utah State Men's Basketball...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - For the first time since joining the Mountain West Conference, Utah State men's...03/08/2018
Utah State Men's Basketball...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Utah State men's basketball remained undefeated in the first round of the...03/07/2018
Sam Merrill Discovers...
LOGAN, Utah – It started as an assignment in a leadership class, but it ended with a...03/07/2018
Sam Merrill and Koby McEwen...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State sophomore guards Sam Merrill and Koby McEwen have been named third...03/06/2018
Official Aggie Gear