Live Stats | Listen Live | Buy Tickets | Game Notes
• Utah State hosts a second consecutive home game, welcoming San Diego State to the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum on Wednesday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller serving as the analyst. Fans can also watch the game on the CBS Sports Network (Comcast Ch. 269, Dish Network Ch. 158, DirecTV Ch. 221) with Dave Ryan providing play-by-play and Steve Wolf as the analyst.
• San Diego State leads the all-time series 8-3 against Utah State, claiming each of the last eight contests since the Aggies joined the Mountain West for the 2013-14 season. The series is the shortest among all current Mountain West opponents for Utah State.
Things Of Note
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen matched Jaycee Carroll’s freshman single-game scoring record with 28 against UNLV (1/7) earlier this season. In all, McEwen has scored 20 or more points five times this season, two short of Carroll’s best of seven during his freshman season.
• Freshman guard Sam Merrill is the most efficient guard and top long-range threat in Mountain West play, carrying an assist/turnover ratio of 3.0 and shooting 46.3 percent (25-of-54) from behind the 3-point line.
• Utah State is holding opponents to less than 40 percent shooting on the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum floor, allowing opponents to shoot just 39.9 percent (309-of-775) in Logan.
• Utah State is riding a three-game home winning streak and is shooting close to 50 percent from the floor during the stretch. The Aggies are shooting 49.3 percent (72-of-146) from the floor and outrebounding opponents by 13, 43.7 to 30.7.
• Individually, USU has five players shooting better than 50 percent from the field over the three games in Quinn Taylor (.750), Norbert Janicek (.563), Shane Rector (.556), Koby McEwen (.552) and Sam Merrill (.526).
Scouting San Diego State
San Diego State is 14-10 overall on the year and 6-6 in the Mountain West. The Aztecs have won three of their last four, including a 70-56 win over Nevada in their last time out.
SDSU is averaging 70.2 points per game and shooting 42.7 percent (586-of-1,371) from the floor, 32.2 percent (179-of-556) from behind the 3-point line and 71.4 percent (334-of-468) at the free throw line. The duo of junior guard Trey Kell and sophomore guard Jeremy Hemsley pace the Aztec offense as both average 14.1 points per game. Sophomore forward Zylan Cheatham leads San Diego State on the glass with 6.4 rebounds per game and Kell leads the team with 2.8 assists per game.
Defensively, opponents are averaging 63.6 points per game against the Aztecs and shooting 39.0 percent (539-of-1,382) from the floor, 33.0 percent (166-of-503) from behind the 3-point line and 69.6 percent (282-of-405) at the free throw line. Kell leads the team with 34 steals and senior forward Valentine Izundu leads the Aztecs with 36 blocks on the year.
Head coach Steve Fisher is in his 18th year with San Diego State, compiling an overall mark of 381-205 over that span, including an 8-0 record against the Aggies.
Last Time Against San Diego State
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Utah State men’s basketball lost at San Diego State, 74-55, on Jan. 14.
Freshman guard Sam Merrill scored in double figures for his fourth straight game since being inserted into the starting lineup with a career-high 18 points, along with three assists, one steal and one rebound. Senior wing Jalen Moore scored in double figures for his 30th consecutive game with 13 points and collected three boards. Redshirt sophomore wing Alexis Dargenton led the Aggies with seven rebounds and added eight points.
San Diego State was led by sophomore guard Jeremy Hemsley with 14 points, three assists, one rebound and one steal. Senior forward Matt Shrigley had 14 points and one rebound, assist and steal. Junior guard Trey Kell had 12 points, five assists and three rebounds.
Utah State finished the game shooting 38.0 percent (19-of-50), including 43.8 percent (7-of-16) from behind the arc, while shooting 71.4 percent (10-of-14) from the free throw line. SDSU shot 57.1 percent (28-of-49) from the floor, 41.7 percent (10-of-24) from behind the 3-point line and 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the free throw line.
Last Time Against San Diego State in Logan
LOGAN, Utah - Redshirt junior forward Lew Evans scored a career-high 22 points to pace four Utah State men’s basketball players in double figures, but it still wasn’t enough as San Diego State held on for a 70-67 win on Jan. 2, 2016, to spoil the Aggies’ Mountain West home opener at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
The loss snapped a four-game winning streak by Utah State, which had also won 25 straight conference home openers dating back to the 1988-89 campaign prior to the game.
Sophomore guard Trey Kell and redshirt freshman forward Zylan Cheatham scored 13 points apiece for San Diego State, which shot 43.5 percent (27-of-62) from the field, including 35.3 percent (6-of-17) from long range, and 50.0 percent (10-of-20) from the charity stripe.
Mountain West 3-Point Leaders
Utah State is the only team in the Mountain West with three players ranked among the top-10 in 3-point shooting percentage in league games in Sam Merrill (.463, first), Koby McEwen (.435, fourth) and Jalen Moore (.397, eighth).
Utah State will host a men’s basketball reunion for all former players and their families on Saturday, Feb. 25. Tickets ($15-adults, $12-10 and under) are available for dinner and can be purchased online at utahstateaggies.com. The weekend will also feature a legends game. To participate please contact Jimmy Moore at 435-797-7101 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Tim Duryea Coach’s Show
Utah State head coach Tim Duryea will join Al Lewis on most Mondays throughout the men’s basketball season from 6:05 to 7 p.m. The next show is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 13, at the Pizza Pie Cafe on 1400 North.
Basketball Coach’s Luncheon
Utah State men’s basketball will host seven coach’s luncheons this season, hosted by Aggies Unlimited. The next luncheon is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 27, and will be held in the West Stadium Center in Maverik Stadium.
Utah State begins a two-game road trip at Nevada on Saturday, Feb. 18, at 6 p.m. (MT). The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play. Fans can also watch the game on ESPN3, online at watchespn.com.
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball opened its 10-day tour of Italy on Wednesday,...08/16/2017
Requests for Tickets to the...
Requests for tickets to the Beehive Classic Basketball Event are available now to Aggies...08/14/2017
Aggies in NBA Summer League...
LOGAN, Utah - Former Utah State men’s basketball players Jalen Moore and Spencer...07/19/2017
Connor Garner Named to NABC...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball’s Connor Garner has been named to the...07/18/2017
Jalen Moore Signs Two-Way...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State graduate Jalen Moore has signed a two-way contract with the...07/08/2017
Former Aggie Spencer...
LOGAN, Utah - Former Utah State men’s basketball player Spencer Butterfield has been named ...06/30/2017
Jalen Moore Signs with...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State graduate Jalen Moore has been signed by the Milwaukee Bucks and...06/26/2017
Space Still Available for...
LOGAN, Utah – The Tim Duryea Basketball Camps will wrap up with the position camp and walk-...06/16/2017
Official Aggie Gear