• Utah State continues its two-game road trip at San José State on Wednesday, Feb. 22, at 8 p.m. (MT). The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play. Fans can also watch the game on the Mountain West Network, online at utahstateaggies.com/videos.
• Utah State and San José State will meet for the first time this season, but for the 79th time in the series, the sixth-longest in USU history. The Aggies lead 57-21 and have won each of the last 18 and 24 of the last 25. Utah State is 19-13 on the road in San Jose.
• Utah State has posted a victory over San José State in every game since joining the Mountain West for the 2013-14 season.
Things Of Note
• Moore has scored in double figures in each of the last five games against San José State.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West in points per game (14.4), assists per game (2.9) and minutes per game (30.7), and is second among freshmen with 5.0 rebounds per game.
• McEwen matched Jaycee Carroll’s freshman single-game scoring record with 28 against UNLV (1/7) earlier this season. In all, McEwen has scored 20 or more points five times this season, two short of Carroll’s best of seven during his freshman season.
• Freshman guard Sam Merrill leads the Mountain West with an assist/turnover ratio of 3.0.
• Utah State has outscored each of its last four opponents in the paint.
Scouting San José State
San José State is 14-11 on the year, 7-7 in the Mountain West and has won five of its last six games.
The Spartans are averaging 74.0 per game and shooting 44.7 percent (652-of-1,457) from the floor, 34.0 percent (167-of-491) from behind the 3-point line and 70.5 percent (378-of-536) at the free throw line. Sophomore forward Brandon Clarke leads SJSU with 18.0 points per game and is shooting a Mountain West-best 59.9 percent (193-of-322) from the field. He is followed by sophomore forward Ryan Welage with 12.5 points per game. Clarke also leads the team on the glass, averaging 8.2 rebounds per game, and junior guard Jalen James leads the team in assists, averaging 2.6 per game.
Defensively, teams are scoring 73.3 points per game against the Spartans and shooting 45.0 percent (636-of-1,413) from the floor, 33.6 percent (152-of-453) from behind the 3-point line and 73.8 percent (409-of-554) at the free throw line. Clarke leads the Spartans with 65 blocks, averaging 2.6 per game, and senior guard Isaac Thornton leads the team with 33 steals, averaging 1.3 per game.
Head coach Dave Wojcik is in his fourth season and has compiled an overall mark of 32-85 over that span.
Last Time Against San José State
LOGAN, Utah - Redshirt freshman Quinn Taylor collected his first career double-double with career highs of 16 points and 10 rebounds as four Aggies scored in double figures to post an 88-70 victory over San José State on Feb. 27, 2016.
Senior guard Chris Smith scored in double figures for the eighth straight game with a game-high 20 points, to go along with five rebounds, two steals and one assist. Senior guard Darius Perkins had 12 points, four rebounds and tied a season high of four assists, all with zero turnovers. Junior wing Jalen Moore had 11 points, marking his ninth-straight game in double figures, and added seven rebounds and a game-high six assists.
The Spartans had three players score in double figures as senior guard Princeton Onwas and senior forward Frank Rogers each had 10 points and freshman forward Cody Schwartz had 11. Freshman guard Brandon Clarke led the Spartans with seven rebounds and tied for the team lead with Schwartz with three assists.
Last Time Against San José State in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Utah State men’s basketball led start-to-finish in an 80-71 victory over San José State on Dec. 30, 2015, in the Mountain West openers for both schools.
The league-opening victory was Utah State’s second straight over San José State in as many years as junior wing Jalen Moore scored a season-high 21 points to lead the Aggies. Moore was followed by his brother, Grayson, with a career-high-tying 12, while senior guard Darius Perkins and sophomore guard Julion Pearre turned in 11 points apiece.
Overall, Utah State shot 47.3 percent (26-of-55) on the night, including 55.0 percent (11-of-20) from long range, while shooting 68.0 percent (17-of-25) from the free throw line. San José State finished its night shooting 42.1 percent (24-of-57) from the floor, including 39.1 percent (9-of-23) from behind the 3-point line, while shooting 60.9 percent (14-of-23) from the free throw line.
Tim Duryea Coach’s Show
Utah State head coach Tim Duryea will join Al Lewis on most Mondays throughout the men’s basketball season from 6:05 to 7 p.m. The next show is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 20, at the Pizza Pie Cafe on 1400 North.
Basketball Coach’s Luncheon
Utah State men’s basketball will host seven coach’s luncheons this season, hosted by Aggies Unlimited. The next luncheon is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 27, and will be held in the West Stadium Center in Maverik Stadium.
Utah State will host a men’s basketball reunion for all former players and their families on Saturday, Feb. 25. Tickets ($15-adults, $12-10 and under) are available for dinner prior to the game. The weekend will also feature a legends game. To participate please contact Jimmy Moore at 435-797-7101 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Utah State will host its home finale on Saturday, Feb. 25, facing Air Force at 7 p.m., on Senior Night. The game can be heard live on KVNU with Al Lewis providing play-by-play and Rod Tueller providing color. Fans can also watch the game on ROOT Sports (Comcast Ch. 52/693HD, Dish Network Ch. 414, DirecTV Ch. 683/687) with Drew Goodman providing play-by-play and Joe Cravens providing color.
Registration Now Available ...
LOGAN, Utah – Registration is now available for the Tim Duryea basketball camps with three ...04/17/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head men’s basketball coach Tim Duryea announced the...04/14/2017
Utah State's Jalen Moore...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State seniors Jalen Moore and Shane Rector will take part in the...04/13/2017
Men's Basketball 2016-17...
Utah State men's basketball's 2016-17 season made up of records by senior wing Jalen Moore and...04/05/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State men’s basketball recognized their own at its annual end-of-y...03/29/2017
Jalen Moore Named Second-Te...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State senior wing Jalen Moore has been named second-team all-district 17...03/22/2017
Utah State Loses to Nevada ...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Utah State lost an 83-69 decision to Nevada on Thursday afternoon, ending...03/09/2017
Utah State to Face No. 1...03/08/2017
Official Aggie Gear