• Utah State will close out its 2016-17 regular season at UNLV on Wednesday, March 1, at 9 p.m. (MT).
• UNLV is one of only three programs in the Mountain West that has a winning record in the all-time series against Utah State. The Runnin’ Rebels hold a 31-5 advantage in the series, but Utah State has won two of the last three, including a 79-63 victory in Logan earlier this year. USU has lost three straight in Las Vegas.
Things Of Note
• Utah State leads all Mountain West teams in league play behind the 3-point line, shooting 38.9 percent (133-of-342) from long range. Senior wing Jalen Moore leads the MW individually in league play, shooting 43.2 percent (38-of-88) from deep. Freshman guard Koby McEwen is third, shooting 42.0 percent (34-of-81) from behind the 3-point arc.
• Moore has led the Aggies in scoring and rebounding in each of the past two seasons, averaging 15.2 points and 6.0 rebounds as a junior, and 15.2 points and 6.7 rebounds as a sophomore, and currently leads the team with 16.6 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Moore could become just the third player in Utah State history to lead the team in scoring and rebounding for three years, joining Greg Grant (1982-84, 1985-86) and Marvin Roberts (1968-71).
• Freshman guard Sam Merrill leads all freshmen in the Mountain West with 3.1 assists per game and is 18th in the nation with an assist/turnover ratio of 3.0.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West in scoring with 14.5 points per game. McEwen is second among freshmen with 3.0 assists per game and 5.0 rebounds per game.
• The tandem of McEwen and Merrill each scored 20-plus points against San José State, logging 23 and 22 points, respectively. It was the first time that a pair of USU freshmen have scored 20 or more points in the same game in Utah State history.
UNLV is 10-19 on the year, including a 3-13 mark in the Mountain West, and has lost nine straight and 10 of its last 11.
The Runnin’ Rebels are averaging 69.8 points per game and shooting 39.7 percent (685-of-1,725) from the floor, 32.7 percent (199-of-609) from behind the 3-point line and 70.2 percent (456-of-650) at the free throw line. Individually, junior Jovan Mooring leads UNLV with 12.4 points per game and also paces the team with 4.0 assists per game, second in the Mountain West. He is followed in scoring by senior forward Tyrell Green with 11.7 points per game, sophomore guard Jalen Poyser with 11.0 points per game and senior forward Christian Jones with 10.3 points per game. Junior forward Dwayne Morgan leads UNLV on the glass with 7.3 rebounds per game, but has only appeared in eight contests this season.
Defensively, opponents are averaging 76.3 points per game against UNLV and shooting 45.7 percent (813-of-1,780) from the floor, 38.0 percent (237-of-624) from behind the 3-point line and 68.7 percent (349-of-508) at the free throw line. Mooring leads the Runnin’ Rebels with 1.2 steals per game, and freshman forward Cheickna Dembele leads the team with 1.2 blocks per game.
Head coach Marvin Menzies is in his first season at UNLV, joining the Runnin’ Rebels after serving as the head coach at New Mexico State for nine years. Menzies led the Aggies to three first-place finishes in the WAC and five conference tournament championships.
Last Time Against UNLV
LOGAN, Utah - Freshman guard Koby McEwen tied a true freshman single-game scoring record with a career-high 28 points, including 24 in the second half alone, as Utah State defeated UNLV 79-63 on Jan. 7.
McEwen matched the 28 points scored by former Aggie Jaycee Carroll in a home game against UC Santa Barbara on Jan. 6, 2005.
Fellow true freshman guard Sam Merrill added 14 points for the Aggies, who shot 52.6 percent from the field (30-of-57), including 61.9 percent from 3-point range (13-of-21). Senior wing Jalen Moore chipped in 14 points, scoring in double figures in 28 straight games.
McEwen also matched redshirt sophomore wing Alexis Dargenton with a game-high seven rebounds, to go along with a team- and career-best six assists, and a career-high two blocks. Seven different Aggies recorded at least one assist as Utah State had 20 helpers on 30 baskets.
Christian Jones was the lone UNLV player to finish in double figures with 17 points. The Runnin’ Rebels (8-9, 1-3) shot just 36.9 percent from the field (24-of-65) and were an icy 16.7 percent from beyond the arc (3-of-18).
Last Time Against UNLV in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Utah State had its chances to win, but was sunk by a pair of last-second free throws and fell 79-77 in overtime at UNLV Jan. 24, 2015.
Redshirt freshman forward David Collette led Utah State with 24 points and was followed by junior guard Darius Perkins with 19. Sophomore wing Jalen Moore continued his double-digit scoring streak, collecting 12 points for his 17th consecutive game in double figures. Moore also added a career-high 14 rebounds for his third career double-double. Sophomore guard JoJo McGlaston narrowly missed a double-double with nine points and a career-high 10 rebounds.
Tim Duryea Coach’s Show
Utah State head coach Tim Duryea will join Al Lewis on most Mondays throughout the men’s basketball season from 6:05 to 7 p.m. The next show is scheduled for Monday, March 6, at the Pizza Pie Cafe on 1400 North.
Utah State will have a bye on the final Saturday of league play and await its seed for the 2017 Mountain West Tournament. The Tournament will run March 8-12 in Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Registration Now Available ...
LOGAN, Utah – Registration is now available for the Tim Duryea basketball camps with three ...04/17/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State head men’s basketball coach Tim Duryea announced the...04/14/2017
Utah State's Jalen Moore...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State seniors Jalen Moore and Shane Rector will take part in the...04/13/2017
Men's Basketball 2016-17...
Utah State men's basketball's 2016-17 season made up of records by senior wing Jalen Moore and...04/05/2017
Utah State Men’s...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State men’s basketball recognized their own at its annual end-of-y...03/29/2017
Jalen Moore Named Second-Te...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State senior wing Jalen Moore has been named second-team all-district 17...03/22/2017
Utah State Loses to Nevada ...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Utah State lost an 83-69 decision to Nevada on Thursday afternoon, ending...03/09/2017
Utah State to Face No. 1...03/08/2017
Official Aggie Gear