Live Stats | Listen Live | Watch Live | Buy Tickets | Game Notes
• Utah State will return to the basketball court on Monday night, following a week hiatus, when the Aggies host New Orleans in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum at 7 p.m.
• The game can be heard live on KVNU (AM 610) or online at 610kvnu.com. Fans can also watch the game via a free online video stream at www.utahstateaggies.com/videos.
• Utah State is 1-1 all-time against New Orleans, but haven’t faced the Privateers since the 1975-76 season.
Things Of Note
• Senior wing Jalen Moore needs 17 more points to move to No. 19, tying current USU assistant coach Spencer Nelson with 1,283 career points, 18 more points to move to No. 18, tying Shaler Halimon (1967-68) with 1,284 points and 21 more points to move to No. 17, tying Mike Santos (1975-78) with 1,287 career points.
• Moore has scored in double figures in 22 consecutive games and has led the Aggies in scoring in all but four games this season.
• Utah State has had strong first halves under head coach Tim Duryea, outscoring opponents 1,458 to 1,311 and averaging 36.5 points to 32.8 points over the course of the opening 20 minutes. USU has led at the half in six of its nine games this season.
• Freshman guard Koby McEwen leads all freshmen in the Mountain West with 29.4 minutes per game. McEwen is also among the top-10 of the league in assist/turnover ratio (6th, 1.5) and assists (9th, 3.2 apg).
• Utah State has recorded all of its wins this season when the USU frontline outscores the opponent’s frontline.
Scouting New Orleans
New Orleans is 4-5 on the year and coming off back-to-back losses on the road at Northwestern (83-49) and at home against Lousiana-Lafayette (76-71).
The Privateers are averaging 72.3 points per game and shooting 46.0 percent (235-of-511) from the floor, 33.6 percent (44-of-131) from behind the 3-point line and 70.3 percent (137-of-195) from the free throw line. Senior forward Erik Thomas leads UNO in scoring, rebounding and steals, averaging 20.3 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game. He is followed in scoring by senior guard Christavious Gill, averaging 13.2 points per game and totaling a team-best 32 assists on the year.
Defensively, UNO opponents are averaging 76.0 points per game and shooting 43.8 percent (243-of-555) from the floor, 32.2 percent (65-of-202) from behind the 3-point line and 68.6 percent (133-of-194) from the free throw line. Junior forward Makur Puou leads the Privateers with 15 blocks on the year.
Head coach Mark Slessinger is in his sixth year and has compiled an overall mark of 61-91 over that span.
Series History against New Orleans
The game on Monday night will mark the third meeting between the two teams, with the series tied 1-1. The teams have not met since the 70’s and the road team came away with victories in each game. Utah State posted a 96-90 victory at UNO on Feb. 21, 1975, with the Privateers returning the favor in Logan, 79-75, on Feb. 28, 1976.
Utah State against the Pelican State
Utah State is 21-9 all-time against schools from Louisiana, carrying the longest series against Louisiana Tech when both were members of the Western Athletic Conference. The Aggies are 14-5 all-time against the Bulldogs and have not played another school from Louisiana more than three times.
Utah State against the Southland Conference
Utah State is 7-3 all-time against members of the Southland Conference, having faced Houston Baptist (2-0), New Orleans (1-1), Northwestern State (1-1) and Texas A&M Corpus Christi (1-1) all twice and Lamar (1-0) and Nicholls State (1-0) each once.
Last Time against New Orleans
Utah State lost 79-75 to New Orleans in its home finale of the 1975-76 season, squaring the all-time series between the two schools at 1-1.
Utah State was led by a quartet of double-digit scorers in guard Blair Reed with 21, and center Ed Gregg, post Mike Santos and forward Darryl Owens all with 14 points apiece. Gregg finished with a double-double after pulling down a team-high 12 rebounds and guard Gary Malmrose led the Aggies with nine assists.
Utah State shot 44.8 percent (35-of-78) from the floor and 83.3 percent (5-of-6) from the free throw line. The Privateers shot 49.1 percent (29-of-59) from the floor and 80.8 percent (21-of-26) from the free throw line as Utah State was whistled for 19 fouls to UNO’s 13.
Tim Duryea Coach’s Show
Utah State head coach Tim Duryea will join Al Lewis on most Mondays throughout the men’s basketball season from 6:05 to 7 p.m. The next show is scheduled for Monday, Dec. 26, at the Pizza Pie Cafe on 1400 North.
Basketball Coach’s Luncheon
Utah State men’s basketball will host seven coach’s luncheons this season, hosted by Aggies Unlimited. The next luncheon is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 16, on the third floor of the West Stadium Center in Maverik Stadium.
Utah State Set to Begin MW ...03/06/2017
Jalen Moore Has...
LOGAN, Utah – When Jalen Moore first came to Utah State, he didn’t know how good he...03/06/2017
Senior Guard Connor Garner ...
LOGAN, Utah – It was a moment that most kids dream of. The home crowd was chanting his name...03/06/2017
Koby McEwen Unanimous...
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State freshman guard Koby McEwen was a unanimous selection for the...03/05/2017
USU Men’s Basketball ...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball will enter the Mountain West Men’s...03/05/2017
Utah State Men's Basketball...
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Utah State men’s basketball (13-16, 7-11 Mountain West) lost 66-59 to...03/02/2017
Utah State Punctuates...02/27/2017
Utah State Earns 89-58...
LOGAN, Utah - Utah State men’s basketball (13-15, 7-10 Mountain West) won 89-58 against Air...02/25/2017
Official Aggie Gear